Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brake Upgrade Worth While

+5
gtir_woody
Mr B
Stu
Gostek
joetheeskimo
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Brake Upgrade Worth While 3rd August 2015, 6:34 pm

joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo

I know the standard brakes on a GTIR are shocking espically after 20+ years.

I know a lot of people go for wilwood or other similiar brands for upgrades.

Is it worth while getting the S14A calipers for the front. The S14A calipers are 4 pot also they come with 280mm disks but you can run the z32 calipers as they are made out of lighter alloy.

Im more thinking about cost and what im going to use the car for, no point spending £300+ on brakes if im not going to be tracking it, much rather spend £100 and have a good set of brakes that will work much better on the road than stock GTIR brakes.

Thanks

2Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 3rd August 2015, 6:46 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Have you looked in to evo calipers and clio disc conversion??

3Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 3rd August 2015, 7:04 pm

joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo

Gostek wrote:Have you looked in to evo calipers and clio disc conversion??

I have heard about that, i will look into it more. I assume its the EVO brakes from an evo 4 or similiar. They are brembo arnt they.

4Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 3rd August 2015, 7:10 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

I've got evo1/fto calipers they're twin pots (you'd need calipers carriers and bolts) and clio 172 disc you need 4mm spacers to go between disc and hub. Also you need to enlarge mounting holes to 13mm you could use evo disc if you can get them re drilled to pulsars bolt pattern. Have good look it was mentioned here few times

5Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 3rd August 2015, 7:53 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Evo 1. 2. 3 callipers are what you can use is what i have read.
Its the route i will be taking.

6Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 3rd August 2015, 7:53 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t4937-akebono-2pot-floating-294mm-brake-upgrade

7Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 3rd August 2015, 8:27 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

If you really wanted to take the Nissan option in the 280mm id use z32 or GTST caliper's over the s14.

8Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 3rd August 2015, 8:29 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

gtir_woody wrote:If you really wanted to take the Nissan option in the 280mm id use z32 or GTST caliper's over the s14.
How well do they bolt on to pulsar's hub??

https://bbmgarage.co.uk/

9Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 3rd August 2015, 8:38 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Heaps of people have done it, you would need to get an adapter made up though.

10Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 3rd August 2015, 8:43 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Hmm that's why I've gone for evo + clio conversion as it only needed 4mm spacer making up... I know it's not perfect but it was the easiest upgrade... No adapters or re drilling require

11Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 3rd August 2015, 8:45 pm

joetheeskimo

joetheeskimo

I do mechanical design as part of my day job so could design uo any required brackets or adapters. We got a machine shop should wouldn't cost anything. Just looking for a cheap good upgrade. Doesn't have to be nissan. Just wanted to make sure what ever calipers I use are ol with the standard gtir master cylinder

12Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 3rd August 2015, 8:51 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

It just depends how much of an upgrade you want, Evo option seems so simple, less mucking around and have had good feedback from people using them. Everyone I've heard that have done the Nissan option find them amazing aswell.

13Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 3rd August 2015, 9:14 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I think for joe then it comes down to what calipers he finds at a great price, the Akebono are harder find at pocket change prices so if you can find some nice 4 pots off something else cheap it will still stay cheap as you can fab up some carrier brackets, hub spacers & disc machining for nothing but your time & a favour :-)

14Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 3rd August 2015, 10:42 pm

gtir_pimp

gtir_pimp

What about just buying carbotech pads on tHe standard calipers? Heard they're really good

15Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 16th August 2015, 8:46 am

mc_hawkings24

Someone told me about using carbon pads so must be carbotech, said they were 200quid for pads but stopped better than willwoods. I would've bought a set if i'd known about them before i did the fto and clio discs. However i used a 5mm alloy wheel spacer and ground the outside down then bolted it in the disc and filed the bore out. If you have a lathe you can mill them down easy enough. Also read alot about s14 calipers and not supposed to be that good so better off with something else. Also need decent pads for the fto conversion and all i can find are ebc yellows 75quid so pushes the money up as the ebc standards pads i got for £20 are no good lol

16Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 16th August 2015, 2:22 pm

good one lol

17Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 16th August 2015, 8:54 pm

pulsar23

joetheeskimo wrote:I do mechanical design as part of my day job so could design uo any required brackets or adapters. We got a machine shop should wouldn't cost anything. Just looking for a cheap good upgrade. Doesn't have to be nissan. Just wanted to make sure what ever calipers I use are ol with the standard gtir  master cylinder  
Can you make me some spacers to use the clio discs?

18Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 16th August 2015, 9:52 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

75quid for ebc yellowstuff you can get them cheaper than that ...

19Brake Upgrade Worth While  Empty Re: Brake Upgrade Worth While 16th August 2015, 10:06 pm

mc_hawkings24

Dude where? I can't find them cheaper for gpx calipers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum