Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cylinder heads

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cylinder heads  Empty Cylinder heads 1st March 2017, 11:10 pm

ADSgtir

Im not sure how far people have gone with the cylinder heads and what data is around however :
Over the years ive had quite a number of heads done for me (40 or so) on a variety of cars , there has always been gains ,some better than others , and ive always used the same guy , he is an old friend ,and his work is superb .
He has been doing heads and nothing but heads for decades now,for every possible level of motorsport ,and years of feedback from rally teams and race teams .
This is what I have experienced ;
Oversize valves , these always provide more performance ,but only on the exhaust side ,and sometimes on the inlet as well ,this all depends on the ratio of inlet to exhaust size
Valve supplier - ive used G & S , uk based ,high quality ,can custom make them to spec and prices are very good ,never had a problem
valve angles and seats , always requires a fresh cut , not only flow improves but longevity when the width of the seat is controlled (this dictates the heat that is passed through the seat )
CC ing , this ensures each cylinder has exactly the same capacity , so power/heat is exactly the same in each cylinder
Porting - this is a black art , and does not do what any text book tells you , the head porter learns this over hundreds and hundreds of heads , what works and what does not - flow benches give a guide but they are a static test , and do not replicate the real world , where valves are opening closing and air is pulsing .
1 test head is required that can be ported to destruction , so material thickness is known , how far can you go til the water jacket is hit .
The head must be in good condition to start with - old aluminium can be full of cracks to start with , and the surfaces must be perfectly true .
Boost level ;makes large differences in results as airspeeds change and turbulence alters .
The head should look like new when finished , and be properly packed ,there is a lot of labour and time goes into a good head , measuring,cleaning ,skimming , porting and assembly .
Done well the heads last many many years , hand work beats CNC , the experienced eye sees what the computer does not .
Is it worth doing ?, yes your engine will love it !!!!

2Cylinder heads  Empty Re: Cylinder heads 2nd March 2017, 12:13 am

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Cylinder heads  Th_20161113_142503_zpsimcnxkhz
Cylinder heads  IMAG0026_zpsx3txwwg6

One of few I've done. Unfortunately I haven't got access to flow bench.

3Cylinder heads  Empty Re: Cylinder heads 2nd March 2017, 1:12 am

ADSgtir

Did you use larger valves? and what dyno improvement did you get

4Cylinder heads  Empty Re: Cylinder heads 2nd March 2017, 7:43 am

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Unfortunately non of my work was flow or dyno checked... Standard valves. And I've done few but they were on blown up wngines or head gaskets. Sort of while the headis off we might as well do. It's nothing radical all casting imperfections removed gasket matched exhaust and mirror polished exhaust and combustion chambers. It does help spool up.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum