Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

front shock compatability

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1front shock compatability  Empty front shock compatability 14th November 2016, 5:16 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

I'm looking for some front shocks and all the local factors don't list anything for the gtir so I've ordered sunny Gti ones and Almera Gti ones as they are the closet I could find .

Now the only differences are the parts where the brakes etc fasten to but that doesn't bother me
Which ones would you fit ?
My friends first black one had Almera gti shocks fitted for 4 years with no problems

2front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 14th November 2016, 5:33 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

you could buy direct from nissan, was about £130 each.
None of the kyb stuff are a direct match but indeed most n14 front stuff fits .
If got both go with what looks best in terms of rod and tube size (bigger better if any different) and what works best in terms of full extended and compressed lengths, if could look at oem spring rates between almera & sunny gti it might help decide which likely have better damping if spring rates differ a lot .

3front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 14th November 2016, 5:39 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Does anyone have a chart with spring rates ?

4front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 15th November 2016, 7:28 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

As stated above, N14 fit. Not that you are after these but my BCs are off a N14 just needed to change the rear lower mounting brackets on the rear to the GTIR ones.

5front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 15th November 2016, 4:31 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Right then I ordered  n14 sunny gti shocks and n15 almera gti shocks

I've gone for the almera ones based on tube thickness and how hard it is to push the struts in and out by hand .

Only difference to look at them is the almera ones have an extra bracket on them for brake sensor wires

6front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 16th November 2016, 12:47 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

are almera strut tube bodies 50mm ?
Sounds sensible choice, even if not optimum damping to springs it generally massively better than 20yr+ old stuff .

7front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 18th November 2016, 9:01 am

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

They are 45mm bodies so close enough for me

8front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 18th November 2016, 9:14 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

45mm is same standard R ones I think, gabs are 50mm, standard rears also larger tubes than front.

9front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 22nd November 2016, 12:20 am

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Fitted them today .
Noticed the sunny gti shocks didn't have a bracket for the abs wire to bolt to ..

The almera ones fit perfectly with all the right brackets in all the right places .
So anyone needing new front shocks the ones I got are for a
Nissan Almera 1998 2.0Gti I do have part numbers if needed

10front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 22nd November 2016, 7:05 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

thats good, solution for rears bit more tricky compromise, have ones that bolt on but strut tube size is smaller and arb mount location problem too

11front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 17th April 2017, 11:54 am

mike74

mike74

***THREAD RESURRECTION ALERT***
just to confirm before I hit the button, will these shocks fit ok and not affect ride height?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-NISSAN-ALMERA-1-4i-1-6i-2-0D-2-0GTi-95-ON-FRONT-SHOCK-ABSORBER-SHOCKER-X1-/301453227189?fits=Car+Make%3ANissan%7CModel%3AAlmera&hash=item46300334b5:g:NxwAAOSw0vBUmU1Y

cheers, mike

12front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 17th April 2017, 3:48 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Yes fine .. I have them on my R ..

13front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 17th April 2017, 4:27 pm

mike74

mike74

Cheers bud, will get ordered now the fuzzy feeling has returned

14front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 17th April 2017, 5:09 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Are yhey the same size/rod length rob ???

15front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 17th April 2017, 5:23 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

As close as you will get .

16front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 17th April 2017, 5:43 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Cheap enough to not worry about it being dead spot on ...

17front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 17th April 2017, 11:11 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would of gone with KYB shocks over unknown . always found KYB better fit, damping and durability .
Do remember shocks come handed L or R .

The KYB only around £20 to £30 each as giving them away these days and those so called german (chinese) brands such as GH or Optimal are about 50-60GBP a pair with boots and bumps ..

KYB links
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-ALMERA-N15-SHOCK-ABSORBER-FRONT-LH-KYB-333193-1995-1997-/311830975880?hash=item489a931588:g:q9gAAOSwTM5Y0STc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-ALMERA-N15-SHOCK-ABSORBER-FRONT-RH-KYB-333192-1995-1997-/311830966460?hash=item489a92f0bc:g:q9gAAOSwTM5Y0STc

18front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 18th April 2017, 7:53 am

mike74

mike74

I looked into either KYB Excel-G or Sachs super touring initially but they were priced between £74 & 95 each for the R. I thought the ones I linked were an ok deal on cheapies as they were at least made in Germany (better quality in the fatherland!?). Either way they're bound to be better than the bicycle pumps on the car just now and im under no illusions that they're cheap shockers. The plan was to eventually get a better set or maybe coilovers....but not quite yet...  Very Happy

19front shock compatability  Empty Re: front shock compatability 18th April 2017, 11:10 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

KYB Excel G is £21 a shock, full list was probably around £70 but as old stock they just want rid of it, even local factors do them cheap if holding stock, I got a complete set of KYB G's for my subaru station wagon for about £130. Most of those off german brands are chinese (maybe with japanese valve assemblies if lucky, Optimal has jap valving) with just packing or final assembly sticker via germany.
KYB is a bargain buy at that clearance price.
P/N 333193 and 333192 .
At that price I would suggest few people grabbing a spare set (if seller and item turns out A1) for the garage shelf as they normally closer to £45 each .

None of the shock manufacturers listed replacements for the R so people who listing R shocks just cross matched them and whacked on an R tax to the price and kept P/N hidden(see that a lot on eBay GTiR part items)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum