Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Leaking gear oil

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Leaking gear oil Empty Leaking gear oil 4th November 2016, 6:17 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Hi lads

Just taking my car to body shop tomo, got it in the trailer last night and noticed gear oil pissing out of the bell housing when the cars running.

Personally think it's the input bearing/seal but is there a bearing/seal on the front of the shaft within the flywheel??

Also does anyone on here repair gearboxes if it is the input seal??

Cheers Tom

2Leaking gear oil Empty Re: Leaking gear oil 4th November 2016, 7:33 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Is input if deffo gear oil and coming out bottom of bell housing, box got be split to replace. flywheel has no seal, Crank has seal and fly bolted to it, you sure it gear oil, does it leak if hold clutch down and start run car as with clutch down gearbox shafts stationary and no oil thrown about .
Is it deffo out the bell not from transfer box internal seal leak hole .

3Leaking gear oil Empty Re: Leaking gear oil 4th November 2016, 7:47 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Yeah defo gear oil nice golden colour and that distinctive smell

As I say won't be able to check it now for a month or so but last night I thought it was running down the join between the engine and bell housing which made me think it was input seal

The car has been standing for 12 months with the engine in and no leaks underneath, but got it on the trailer last night and there's gear oil on the yard and the trailer where the car has been driven so seems to be leaking when the car moving, probably input bearing moving causing the leak maybe?..

4Leaking gear oil Empty Re: Leaking gear oil 4th November 2016, 7:53 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Maybe.. driveshaft, gear selector and internal transfer box seals are common and heavy leaks.
once back and have a look underneath it should be easy find out source .
Input worst really as indeed likely bearing seen better days and few other things need doing if splitting box so becomes a light overhaul really .

5Leaking gear oil Empty Re: Leaking gear oil 4th November 2016, 7:57 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Yeah we'll see when it comes back, I've got the engine removal down to a few hours now so a couple of Sunday afternoons over X as should see her right but depends what sort or work needs doing to sort leak out, will let you know later in the month

Cheers

6Leaking gear oil Empty Re: Leaking gear oil 19th November 2016, 11:29 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

did you find out where it was leaking from?

7Leaking gear oil Empty Re: Leaking gear oil 20th November 2016, 9:28 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

No not yet mate still at body shop won't know for another 2 maybe 3 weeks

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum