Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May be auto electrician time

+4
Indy
johnboy
Mr B
Bones
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1May be auto electrician time Empty May be auto electrician time 19th July 2015, 11:17 am

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Right have.a go at this one lads, fully charged me battery and put it on the car the yesterday ready to go to the show, started and ran fine, spent the day with you lot only to return to the car to find it turned over very very slowly but did start. Drove home fine turned off at my home then tried to start it again and it turned over nice and fast and started so I disconnected the + ~ and left it over night this morning re connected the battery and hardly turns the car over. The battery is a month old and the Nissan alternator is a month old. I've cleaned as many earths as I can find and the alternator is charging at 14.7 volts

2May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 19th July 2015, 11:59 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Could be poor connections/corrosion inside cable ends or perhaps starter not too healthy.
Check battery voltage to be sure seem good & reads above 12.5V, also with neg voltmeter clamp left on battery check voltage at starter to determine if got voltage drop, check earth too, even adding a jump lead from bat- to engine/starter can be quick way conclude earthing issues, can do same with jump leads with positive but not so easily on a pulsar. Starters with issues tend draw more current so you may find cables appear get overly hot when cranking, inductive ammeter is useful here to see amp draw of cranking starter.
Should be quite easy draw some conclusion.

3May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 19th July 2015, 12:52 pm

johnboy

johnboy

Mine always turns over very slowly when the engine is cold. Some times I'm not sure it's going to make the first turn, but it always keeps going and starts.
When the engines cold it take a lot more effort to turn over so the starter/battery have to work a lot harder. I even got a new starter from Bob about a year ago because of the problem but as the old one keeps going I've never changed it..

4May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 19th July 2015, 2:59 pm

Indy

It could be a faulty battery which is covered under warranty or a bad/ loosely connected terminal
Just make sure they are tight or have the battery replaced do the free stuff first ....... It's an Indian thing as u are aware of now

5May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 19th July 2015, 4:21 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

If you have one, carry out a hydrometer test on the battery?

6May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 19th July 2015, 6:51 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Battery is totally sealed but its been on charge for about 6hrs and is still only showing 11.7 volts so ive out it on a different battery charger to rule that out and we will see. Hoping its that then i can exchange it for free. Now thats a indian thing indy lol. Wobbling my head all the way lol

7May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 19th July 2015, 7:09 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

oh blimey sir!
Battery looking very suspect & would be nice easy free fix ...
Only 2 brands of battery I bother with are Banner & Yuasa

8May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 19th July 2015, 7:30 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

I got this from halfords as it has a 3 year guarantee and I know lots of people say these cars eat battery's but halfords are always great at exchanging stuff hassle free. Plus I know the bloke that works there as I use to work with him on Sunday's when I was an apprentice 24 years ago! Bloody hell

9May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 19th July 2015, 11:51 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

As said yesterday Darren if it's not the battery then more than likely the startermotor 
The only other possibility is a leak from the head gasket where water is entering the cylinders overnight so on initial start up too much compression as water will not compress but that's if everything prior does not work

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

10May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 20th July 2015, 3:25 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Right after a bit more digging it seems I can't get the battery to hold more than 11.7 volts and that was after being on charge all day so just checked it now after being left alone all day and it's 10.6 so luckily it's loosing power itself sat on the bench so hopefully problem solved

11May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 20th July 2015, 5:05 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Just took it back to halfords, they checked it and it has a cell down but fair play to em they swapped it straight away no problem

12May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 20th July 2015, 5:07 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Least it was a simple fix

13May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 20th July 2015, 5:16 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Mr B I have one of those meters that clamp on the power lead and tell you how many amps its drawing but what would it be reading when cranking ?

14May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 20th July 2015, 5:33 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Glad to hear it was the battery i hate bloody electrics Evil or Very Mad

15May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 20th July 2015, 5:37 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

9 - 10 volts on an average darren ....

16May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 20th July 2015, 5:48 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

I worked at halfords years ago ... They had batteries on the shelf that were years old ..

Your battery could have been years old when you bought it

17May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 20th July 2015, 7:15 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

nomad wrote:9 - 10 volts on an average darren ....

I think he meant draw, I would of thought around 100amps?

18May be auto electrician time Empty Re: May be auto electrician time 20th July 2015, 8:52 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Yeh over 100amps, more likely region between 120 to 200amps.
compression ratio, oil viscosity & hot & cold climate make massive differences .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum