Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

not how i planned on spending my day.....

+3
Stu
richpulsar
buckym120
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

buckym120

buckym120

not how i planned on spending my day..... IMAG0871

Coming home from Cambridge and my.battery light came on, checked the belt and connections and all was fine, got near stanstead airport and it finally died on me. 40 minutes later and we was on the back of a low loader and a little.bit damp Sad

Believe its just the alternator but can't be arsed to look at.it today

richpulsar

richpulsar

now that is a shitty day, hope u get it sorted mate

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Check the bottom pulley, I would bett my last £ that its fucked!
Same happened to me the day I got my first pulsar, I managed to get home before the battery finaly drained tho.
The metal part that the belt sits on comes away from the vulcanised rubber in the middle.

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

I had a similar problem in cornwall a few years back, the ABS light came on so i stopped and found the pivot bolt on the alternator had sheared! Managed to get back to my campsite ok and just called for recovery on the last day to take me home as my mate had also taken his car.

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

nothing worse know the feeling i have had a alternator pack in. lights started to dim battery light was on luck has it i just got home so i took it off the next day.Down to the local motor factors who sent it away came back rewound nice and shiny like new re-fitted it and as you would suspect never flickered since

buckym120

buckym120

In all fairness I have been hearing a strange noise when cold but could never put my finger on what was causing it, so hopefully was the alternator, although will check the pulleys as well. As ed mentioned my bottom one was aftermarket and didn't trust using it for the timing.

Got a few other jobs planned so will take it off the road for a few weeks, you had best not plan any last minute holidays bob lol

buckym120

buckym120

Anyone have any tips on getting this alternator off, cannot het the bolt to clear the turbo elbow and can't see any others on the bracket to losen off, to give me any more clearance

johnboy

johnboy

You have to take the alternator mounting bracket off the side of the engine. There's a bolt above the alternator and 2 nuts below. Not easy to get to...

buckym120

buckym120

I have the bracket on the left hand side removed (14mm bolt) I've loosened the top bolt and can get to one at the bottom but cannot see another one, ill keep looking...poxy car

johnboy

johnboy

not how i planned on spending my day..... P1030762

not how i planned on spending my day..... P1030761

buckym120

buckym120

Cheers John, mines still got air con so couldn't get to the bolt from below. Removed the rad in the end and was looking straight at me. Not one "how to guide" has mentioned removing the rad, unless I've not read them correctly. Would have been done in hour and half otherwise.

Still alternator is out and ive even had the rocker cover off and replaced all the gasket as I had a bad leak and the spark plugs had some oil in the chamber. Split one of the breather pipes so looks like that's my next task

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

did you get alternator mark?
i tried returning your call but no answer

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

buckym120

buckym120

Nah I'll swing by during the week if you have one bob. Yeah got your missed call but didn't see it till gone 6 and I'm in no major rush

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum