Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Any tricks for getting the crank pulley off without removal tool?

+2
Gostek
warringtonjack
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

warringtonjack

So, having taken the wheel off and the inner arch cover to get access to the crank pulley, the big bolt in the centre of the pulley is off. The pulley is well jammed on though, and I can't shift it. I haven't got access to a pulley removal tool at the moment, so does anybody know how to get the pulley off without the tool? Can I use 2 bolts through the small holes in the pulley? Anybody know what size I need?

Cheers

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Bolts are 6mm but seriously I wouldn't use them as you'll end up damaging chain cower... You could try to stick couple of big screwdrivers behind pulley and tap centre bolt with hammer but this might  end not very  well too. I'd look for something like this
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-PULLER-FOR-RIBBED-DRIVE-PULLEY-CRANKSHAFT-REMOVER-NEW-TOOL-/221720845313?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339f979c01

Last edited by Gostek on 25th May 2015, 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

https://bbmgarage.co.uk/

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Yes 2 big screw drivers works well but take your time

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I seen bob take one off by hand and belive me it had been on a while I could not belive it. I thought of someone told me this storey I would say rubbish or it had been pre slackend but I took the big bolt out and pully was dam tight he wiggles it by hand took abit but off it came

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ Yeh a not very tight pulley can come off by hand if wiggle side to side while pulling but a tight one won't.
Just a case of some come off easy & some don't.
I've come across pulleys on military & industrial equipment that even 10t hydraulic pullers have struggled with.
On the R a bit of release oil (not wd40 5hit) & basic mechanical puller is all that needed. F00king around with screw drivers & pry bars can work but it can also crack your pump housing so be warned & also realise a cheap puller is about £8 & shipped to your door in 24hrs >
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t4236-cheap-crank-pulley

warringtonjack

Cheers guys. Couple of screwdrivers and some gentle persuasion got it done. thumbsup

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Glad you got it done, I found the trick is to go slow and not expect the pulley to come off in one go, I destroyed the first one I ever took off. Joys of being a novice back in the day.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum