Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

have you guys done rear arch repairs

+3
Mr B
nomad
gtir_woody
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty have you guys done rear arch repairs 10th January 2015, 9:32 pm

hi guys, ive been putting it off but i got new repair panels and im just worried i will mess it up!!! so im asking for an honest opinion would it be safer for a bodyshop to do or give it ago myself cheers ps these panels are huge lol

2have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 10th January 2015, 10:40 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Not that I've done it before but from what people have said it isn't an overly complex thing to do, there is plently have information about. Were you thinking of doing the panel work then getting someone to paint it? I guess it comes down to how handy you are? Alright with a welder etc?

3have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 10th January 2015, 11:32 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Most of it is tack work ..... depending on how bad the arch is ... if its a small section then it can simpley be cut out and do the same with the repair panel tack it in place tack in opposite places this allows not to much heat into the panel wich will distort it then fill join between tacks with the same method .... its not so important in small patches but bigger section it is.... grind the welds flush and skim it with filler ....i guess it all depnds on your skills with welding and bodywork ....

4have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 11th January 2015, 7:37 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Tricky one as best long term result & easier finish needs experience to use quality pre welding treatments/primers etc along with good technique for neat finish.
Most outer arch work will require some inner arch repair plus possible sill end to arch.
If you not painting it yourself doubt you will see huge savings in price as most fussy bodyshops will be running over your prep work.

5have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 11th January 2015, 8:58 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Yes thats the thing if you fo it dont warp the pannels and as said above if you do it gives the body shop a reason not to get it 100% and blame you for the aling or prep.

That said thats just me and i dont trust others work and do alot of stuff myself and if it was painting etc to a high standard i shop about find recomendation pay the price and give them the whole job

6have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty think are check out prices 11th January 2015, 9:03 am

thanks guys are look into how much it will cost with a bodyshop last thing i want to do is make mistakes i like the car to much Smile

7have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 11th January 2015, 10:50 am

robins

if welding yourself get a airline and blow each spot weld to keep panel cool

8have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 11th January 2015, 4:04 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

my welder said that the panels were not the right size for a full arch repair, it kinda had to be cut up and wasnt just a straight fit but used most of the arch panel supplied, i was £150 for a welder to fit the whole arch, inner arch, and rear sill, not had mine painted yet

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

9have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty thanks for that 11th January 2015, 4:35 pm

cheers for the advise guys..going by what you say if its a case of cutting up the new panel to fit thats to much for me!! so defo be bodyshop repair Smile

10have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 11th January 2015, 6:40 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I think sye got a good price on the welding to be honest and think you would struggle to get a price that low .... not unless its mates rates kind of thing ...

11have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 11th January 2015, 10:48 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

The panels are not full arch or full quarter & actually 5 door repair part but they normally cover enough besides the sill end area to arch.
Kind of better than working from scratch & price cheap but a real body panel man could hammer out a repair panel from sheet steel in no time.
I can weld well but would give job to shop myself unless intending do painting too.

12have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 12th January 2015, 12:23 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I guess its how involved in it you want to be ..... its not a 5 minute job and takes time especially if your a novice if you do it yourself take your time make sure you cut the rust out until you get to good metal you dont want to be trying t9 weld wafer thin metal otherwise you will just blow holes in it as you try to weld in the new piece .. ....it all comes down to how competent you are .... i like to do as much as i can myself .

13have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 12th January 2015, 12:54 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Indeed with time & care it not that hard a job but I just hate body repair with a passion :-)
I don't think it a good place to start of first timer or low experienced as if joints not done well in term of weld primers/sealer's you will be looking at blister again in couple of years.

14have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 12th January 2015, 7:47 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Totally agree with that bodywork isnt top of my list either ....i enjoy welding though thumbsup

15have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 12th January 2015, 8:19 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Yes I like fabrication work welding but chopping out rust/patching cars is not something I enjoy :-S
Got a 28 year old n13 sunny needing its first patching to sill ends & small patch to sill near rear door, quite easy but no enthusiasm :-P arches are perfect as is most of the body panels.
moulds on the n14 are part of reason of rear arch rot ...

16have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 12th January 2015, 8:45 am

grim_d

grim_d

Mr B wrote:
moulds on the n14 are part of reason of rear arch rot ...

They amount the trim holes contribute is negligible l would say, having owned a normal sunny.

Properly sealing up the seam would have made a massive difference.

17have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 12th January 2015, 8:50 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

+1 body repair sucks, I hated fixing up my floor but it's rewarding never the less Smile

18have you guys done rear arch repairs Empty Re: have you guys done rear arch repairs 12th January 2015, 8:57 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Not just trim holes but moisture held behind trim helps speed up the corrosion.
Most of it starts at seam edge between inner/outer arch panels though & also through internal moisture ingress in rear quarters.
Old n13 seems far better for arches.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum