Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Decent clutch

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Decent clutch Empty Decent clutch 3rd December 2014, 6:35 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

I may need to fit a new clutch soon, it may just be the the release bearing....not sure yet but stripping it down soon! Any way if it is what clutchs can people recommend without breaking the bank so to speak! Needs to be able to handle 450bhp/400 lb tourqe (roughly) cheers guys

2Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 3rd December 2014, 6:58 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

the 6puk sprung helix or one of the similar CompetionClutch options that Fusion done are probably best options in terms of being kind to the transmission yet can handle your R's output.
A lot depends on intended use & what done to gearbox ...

3Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 3rd December 2014, 8:03 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Bet that will make your couch very heavy as I know bill had an up rated clutch in it was a killer in traffic on the thigh, or could it be something else?

4Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 3rd December 2014, 8:35 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

The one in it is stiff as hell any way? Any body got any links?

5Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 3rd December 2014, 8:38 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Clutches I mentioned are not too bad but heavier than standard but that only way with big power.
Some of the real stupid heavy covers used with organic plates was the real culprit for super heavy pedals, crack pedal box/bulkhead & collapsed clutch fork/pivot ball.

6Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 3rd December 2014, 11:57 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Yeah rps clutches are about the heaviest clutch out there, the pressure you have to put on the pedal is ridiculous tbh but it basically comes down to two things 1 being clamping force needed to not allow the driveplate to slip and other being materials driveplate is made from.

At that sort of power , torque ideally you need a ceramic type friction plate/s a 6 puk helix would fit the bill or other than that go for a clutch flywheel type combo as they are extremely good and not overly heavy either

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

7Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 4th December 2014, 12:08 am

Whytie

Whytie

I have a stage 4 competition clutch 6 puk which will handle your power output no probs.

I bought but never fitted, still sealed in the box if your looking for a new one.

8Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 4th December 2014, 6:06 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Ok, what sort of price are we looking at here then chaps?

9Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 4th December 2014, 10:28 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

PartyPete wrote:Ok, what sort of price are we looking at here then chaps?
Well new Helix 6puk is probably around £450 but it is probably best all round clutch for your power.
Fusion motorsport did do a few Competion Clutch kits for the R and had some good options priced at under £400.
Have a word with Bob & see what decent used 6puk kits he got if you want keep cost down. Just stay away from unsprung plates & stupidly HeavyDuty RPS & ACT covers. Other advice is new & reinforced clutch fork if your one not serviceable or already reinforced & a Nismo or driftworks stronger pivotball, done that way it done once & good for many years of abuse.

10Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 4th December 2014, 11:09 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep as above pete
expect to pay close to 500 for a new helix paddle but that's cheap in comparison to likes of exedy single plate basket clutch flywheel combo, os giken, hks basket all will cost you over a grand new.
the combo type clutches will hold much more torque but are harsher on gearbox
if your not in a mad rush il see what I have that will be suitable if you don't mind a used clutch being fitted

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

11Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 4th December 2014, 12:59 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Not sure how I feel about a second hand clutch but I guess depends what you have bob and at what price?

12Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 4th December 2014, 3:02 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

PartyPete wrote:Not sure how I feel about a second hand clutch but I guess depends what you have bob and at what price?
I know what you mean but if price is cheap & it visually decent enough it could be worth going for if save serious money plus makes use a quality clutch rather than it rusting on a shelf so even an R can be environmentally friendly :-)
A lot of these cars get built, have little use then stripped so certainly worth reviewing first.

13Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 4th December 2014, 3:50 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Wise words Mr b! I'll see what bob has to offer then

14Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 6th December 2014, 8:45 am

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

When and were are you doing this Pete, wouldn't mind coming over for a look

15Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 6th December 2014, 9:32 am

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

At bakewell at a mates garage,it's up there all ready but don't think I'm going to start stripping it until the 19th when I finish work for a couple weeks! But if you want to come for a nosy and get your hands dirty you are more than welcome

16Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 6th December 2014, 4:50 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Defo mate I'm always up for learning things. And you can show me how to get it out in an hour lol

17Decent clutch Empty Re: Decent clutch 6th December 2014, 11:43 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Bones wrote:Defo mate I'm always up for learning things. And you can show me how to get it out in an hour lol

Yea right Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum