Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brake conversion using Fiat 20VT Brembo calipers

+3
Gostek
Stu
marky68
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

marky68

Has anyone here done this conversion?

I have a pair of the Fiat 20VT Brembo front calipers which only require the GTIR mounting holes enlarging and they will bolt straight on.  I understand that these need the Renault Clio 182 model front disc at 280mm to go with them?
The problem I have is with the disc position required after mounting the caliper on the hub you can see in the picture below the caliper is 20mm thick on the wheel side of the hub compared with approx 10mm for the steel gtir caliper mount, to centre the disc in the caliper the discs it now needs to be 10mm off the wheel hub face. This would then require longer studs and I would lose the hub to wheel mount as the discs would be flush with the face of the hub.

The back set of the Clio caliper isn't much different to the GTIR one it's only the diameter which is bigger, so I've used the gtir to mock this up. The reason it is further off the hub is because of the thickness of the lug on the brembo caliper which is twice that of the GTIR mount to hub. (see pic below)

Brake conversion using Fiat 20VT Brembo calipers 20141118_202555_zpsab1b9768
Brake conversion using Fiat 20VT Brembo calipers 20141118_202626_zps6c33501e

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Never heard of these calipers being used
Its usually the mitsubishi evo 1. 2 or 3 caliper with a clio 172 disk and a 10mm spacer.

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Well I've got evo/fto with 4mm spacer between hub and disc and still running standard studs... Although i like idea of those brembos
I'll have my car on a ramp Saturday I could measure thickness of evo calliper carrier but think clio disc is not as tall as pulsar one (i might be wrong thou)

marky68

I'm currently looking through disc options from Fiat and Renault as most of them are either 4x100 or 4x98 pcd, ideally if I can find discs with a total height of around 39mm or less rather than 44mm then these calipers will work with a 4 or 5mm spacer such as yours Gostek

Whytie

Whytie

I have porsche 968 rear brembos on my car with 300mm discs

I also have an other setup sitting here 280mm clio discs with peoguot 406 brembos, cheap and easy setup.

I looked at those fiat calipers but the offset was a pain

marky68

Fiat discs

Punto discs

Both of the above have a height of approx 39mm which is 5mm less than the gtir standard discs and clio discs so these should work but the disc thickness is 6mm less than the 20vt brembo calipers are designed for.

Last edited by marky68 on 18th November 2014, 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

marky68

Whytie wrote:I have porsche 968 rear brembos on my car with 300mm discs

I also have an other setup sitting here 280mm clio discs with peoguot 406 brembos, cheap and easy setup.

I thought the 406 pug v6 brembos were the same as the fiat ones to be honest? Actually having just looked at some pictures of them the the mounting lugs are in a different position to the Fiat ones you're right..

Whytie

Whytie

Brake conversion using Fiat 20VT Brembo calipers Null_zpsad07abe4

Brake conversion using Fiat 20VT Brembo calipers Null_zps4653ac2d

That's the 406 brembos with clio discs

marky68

Ah so you've had to make some mounting brackets to get the calipers in the right place.

r called jay

I've run the Fiat 20vt calipers on mine for 10 years or so, but with a spacer kit to accomodate 330mm discs.
Not 100% happy with the as keep warping/cracking discs and my latest theory behind this may be because the pads are relatively small and so getting v hot.
Ben.

marky68

r called jay wrote:I've run the Fiat 20vt calipers on mine for 10 years or so, but with a spacer kit to accomodate 330mm discs.
Not 100% happy with the as keep warping/cracking discs and my latest theory behind this may be because the pads are relatively small and so getting v hot.
Ben.

Thanks for that info, I'm not 100% sure about going this route yet, I don't like the idea of spacing off the discs at all.

The pads look pretty big to me!

Is your car mainly road or track or a bit of both?. I'm wanting some decent stopping power for the track really but without having to sell a lung to get it Smile.

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yeah its not a good idea as said having huge spacers behind the disc as it will amplify the slightest runout which will then lead to a tremendous amount of vibration and warped discs that in turn generates more heat so then the discs are far more likely to crack

tbh (especially with brakes) it pays to shed out a few quid and even more important to do so if cars going on track as that's when good stoppers come into their own so if that's your plan think I would bite the bullet

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

r called jay

Sorry didn't mean spacers for the disc, I meant a spacer or bracket for the caliper to space the caliper away from the hub to accomodate the larger discs.

Mine is mostly track these days and that's the only time I'll ever have any issues.

The guys at Carbotech suggested that the pads are relatively small and may be the issue. So I compared them to my brothers 4 pot AP's and those pads are approx 50% bigger.

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Whytie wrote:I have porsche 968 rear brembos on my car with 300mm discs

Do they pug calipers fit without mods? Ive got fto/scenic discs

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

r called jay

Brake conversion using Fiat 20VT Brembo calipers 20130711

marky68

A fair point Bob, but what's the bullet going to cost me? I already bought these under advice of what bigger brakes would fit Wink I can sell these calipers on though and get the cost back towards a bolt on set if you have anything in or coming up ...

There are discs available that will fit without spacers behind the hub Ie the correct depth but they would need additional rings as the centre bore is too big which again is more cost.

GTI-R US wrote:yeah its not a good idea as said having huge spacers behind the disc as it will amplify the slightest runout which will then lead to a tremendous amount of vibration and warped discs that in turn generates more heat so then the discs are far more likely to crack

tbh (especially with brakes) it pays to shed out a few quid and even more important to do so if cars going on track as that's when good stoppers come into their own so if that's your plan think I would bite the bullet

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Are your calipers the same as what was posted in last pic Mark?

They were the style that we fitted to a guys car and all we had to do was elongate the bolt holes slightly in the calipers and add about 2mm washer over each stud to centralise but for some reason the ones you have appear different and far bulkier and haven't a clue why, they appear to be around the same size as the porche brembos

The brake set I'm getting in May already be sold assuming they fit under 16" rims but if not they will be available.
Price wise if you went that route they will be advertised at £495 as there in very good condition, so if you can get the right discs and brackets made cheaper then I would probably stick with what you've got as the brembo calipers are very good quality

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum