Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bearing Clearance

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bearing Clearance Empty Bearing Clearance 2nd November 2014, 10:43 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Hi all

So today i'v started to build my bottom end and i've taken wizard's of the south advise and plastigauged bearings
I've just done main bearing and they come up between 0.06-0.05 mm apparently clearance for main is 0.004-0.02 and limit is 0.05 and since red plasigauge's limit is 0.02 i was thinking to try and go for that
Now Bob told me to grind bit of bearing edge to make them close up bit more but what do you people using to do that?? file or angle grinder?? lol! and what clearance should i go for on road car....

Thanks Mike

https://bbmgarage.co.uk/

2Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 2nd November 2014, 10:58 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

You lost me at hi all Shocked

3Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 2nd November 2014, 11:47 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Heh i feel lost myself.... Basicly what would be main bearing clearance people normally use on road cars because i don't think i'll be able to go lower than 0.02 mm

4Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 3rd November 2014, 7:19 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

mike if you need to take a bit off the shell to close the clearance slightly then always take it off the non locating side of the shell and a slight bit off each shell rather than all off one making sure not to leave any burred edges on inner edge of shell

use a small fine stone on a dremmel and run shell across it or failing that you can use a ring file or even a grind stone that you would use for sharpening knives ect (remember this is a miniscule amount) so don't be heavy handed with it Wink

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

5Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 3rd November 2014, 8:15 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Thanks Bob could you tell me what clearance should i aim for as I'm doing 1st bearing and can't get dow to 0.04 and i don't know if I'm doing wrong or something else is not right as far as I know this is standard crank and standard bearings

6Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 4th November 2014, 9:02 am

Gtirchris

You need to know if the crank journals are standard size or not, otherwise if it has been previously ground undersize you will never get the correct oil clearance on a standard size bearing, so you need to measure them with a micrometer then check your measurements against the chart in the workshop manual, simples!. Smile

http://www.guglielmimotorsport.co.uk

7Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 4th November 2014, 10:14 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep as chris said above make sure its std sized crank

I can tell you that if used ((which it obviously is) and is in good condition the measurements will be around 47.92mm on big end journals and 54.92 on main bearing journals
the size may vary very slightly depending on whether its been polished or not

if its been ground .25 then they will be around 47.75 and 54.75

if you cant find clearances then let us know and il check what we have done in the past
depends on use of engine i.e track or road but if you go for anything between 0.03-0.05 your not gonna go far wrong
make sure you plastigage the point of crank on big end journals 90 degrees from the oil drilling as this is normally the tighter gauge reading

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities

8Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 4th November 2014, 1:25 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Hmm that made me feel little better bearings are defo standard so if crank would be reground it would have . 30 mm gap not . 05

Oh and Chris i can't use chart as acl only do standard and oversized bearings as far as I know

9Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 4th November 2014, 2:35 pm

Gtirchris

What i meant was check the size of the crank journals with a micrometer and refer to the manual for the minimum allowable size of a standard unground journal and also check for ovality/ out of round, then if your measurements are different (smaller) to what is in the manual you will know for sure that your crank has been previously ground undersize to suit undersize bearings mate, then you can work out which bearings you need, either standard size or undersize, hope that makes sense mate. Wink

http://www.guglielmimotorsport.co.uk

10Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 4th November 2014, 7:09 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Filing shells down makes no difference to real dynamic clearances, all that does is reduce crush load and that what stop shell spinning so you want that kept in spec.
Also be careful using plasti gauge, bearings are oval and need measuring in cap axis as well as across cap axis, you want internal mic them and leave plastigauge to final crank fit check only
So what acl bearings you got ! they do standard in H & HX,
HX giving more clearance over H
Can be pain with acl on cranks that been polished bit heavily.
You may get some luck by doing measurements then juggle shells around on tighter ones to sloppy ones in attempt reduce/even clearances.
sometimes a regrind is easier as if machinist real good he can get it spot on preferred clearance range with grinding/polishing.
If you have not fully checked crank for cracks, straightness & journal ovality then needs doing as issues here could mean changing action to new crank or journal grind perhaps ...

Last edited by Mr B on 10th April 2020, 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

11Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 4th November 2014, 7:35 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yes its a real problem with what clearance to aim for on performance cars because if you take the smaller clearance and the runout is out of spec then this will cause you problems further down the line with excessive main bearing wear

yet if you go for a larger clearance you then require a very good oil flow to hold the pressure especially when the oil is hot, if you haven't got this then once again it can lead to problems.

a good crank is the key to having a good long lasting build as can rapidly destroy your entire engine if its out of spec, poor mapping with excess over fuelling will also rapidly help it on its way due to oil viscosity breaking down when hot so its paramount that you get this bit right and I personally would go for a mid range clearance

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

12Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 4th November 2014, 7:56 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Right so bearings are standard h

what i though Chris had in mind id to measure crank and go with chart for genuine bearings (all the colours depending on grade of bearing etc)
and the story with this crank/engine is very long but it was apparently checked and it was balanced and it's standard size (bloody thing look spotless) so the problem might be in that i'm trying to get clearances for new crank ( i was aiming for 0.02mm)
like i said before i've plastigauged all mains and they came up pretty much 0.05mm so i'm just wandering shall i try to go down more and if yes what clearance shall i go for?

13Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 4th November 2014, 8:34 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

0.03mm
Can't see you getting that though as at 0.05 & over at present.
I would grind & polish crank to a new set of acl bearings if want better result or look at genuine nissan bearing options for your crank spec.
I suspect your crank been well polished hence hefty clearances.

14Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 6th November 2014, 9:55 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

How did you get on Mike?

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

15Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 6th November 2014, 11:40 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Well i've done like you suggested (dremmel) got all of them between 0.05 and 0.03 and run out of plastigauge lol i need to get some more before i'll get to big ends

16Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 7th November 2014, 11:46 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yeah its the bigends you need to be more particular about due to the loading on them (especially no 3)

I don't know what you have in the way of tools but if you have a vernier or ideally internal external micrometer that's what I generally use over plastigage

so put the shells in the rods then torque them up without fitting to the crank then measure the clearance inside to see what you have once crushed.
once you've done that take the biggest reading on crank journal then see what you have with that then whatever it is you can then work out what needs to come off each shell if it needs it

that's the best way to do it really and more accurate than plastigage if you have the tools

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

17Bearing Clearance Empty Re: Bearing Clearance 7th November 2014, 7:00 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Thanks mate that would be my next question lol Very Happy I'll try to find some one with micrometer if not I've got digital verniers i'll try with them and see how it'll go

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum