Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Walbro and standard map, will this do anything?

+5
Digitalfaze
watoga
johnny gtir
nomad
mikewazowski
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

Hey guys, i got a walbro off my mate and im thinking about installing it on the R. Will there be any gains if im still on a stock map on stock ecu?

thanks

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Would alow you to run 1 bar of boost

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

As johnny said it will allow you to raise the boost as you got to remember stock fuel pump is probably quite old by now ...

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

As one of bobs previous posts unless it was fine on your mates before you install it check its pumping the right way and pumping well as alot of fakes about which suck not pump or flow less than standard and fail

watoga

watoga
ecu technician
ecu technician

Yes, a Walbro typically has the power to provide more fuel (compared with a standard pump) which allows you to more safely run higher boost (i.e. 1 bar). However, the important thing is to make sure your fuel pressure is correct, something which is often overlooked on 20 year old regulators. Also, you may want to wire a direct feed (via a relay of course) to the Walbro to minimise voltage drop and make sure the pump is receiving its full whack of power (again, helping to make sure you've got a safety blanket when running 1 bar). If you do these then the Walbro is a decent upgrade over the standard fuel pump.

Cheers,
Dave

http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dbj

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

Thanks for the advice guys. I didnt know if the car will just pump the same amount of fuel due to the map etc but if it will actually do something then ill install it sometime soon after i finish in the engine bay. So you'd also advise getting a decent fuel pressure regulator? not a cheap ebay chiniese piece of donkey poo obviously Very Happy

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Not so much that i think dave would agree he is saying make sure your standard ones working ok connect fuel pressure gauge in line even if its temparory. My understanding in crap word terms is the standard fuel pressure reg works on a rising scale and the adjustabke ones you set at a constant base pressure. So standard is very good option providing its working right up to quite big power even with uprated injectors. I could be talkin rubbish here so we will await daves reply to correct me

watoga

watoga
ecu technician
ecu technician

As Johnny says, I'm not recommending you go out and buy a new FPR if the current one is working A-ok. At idle the fuel pressure should be ~3bar (45 PSI), and rise 1:1 with boost (i.e. at 1 bar of boost your fuel pressure will be 4bar or 60 PSI). You can get aftermarket regulators that also rise 1:1 with boost so you could upgrade if you want to, but if your standard FPR is working fine then they are decent pieces of kit.

The fuel maps on the ECU will not supply more fuel with a Walbro (that is defined by the injector pulsewidths and fuel pressure to a certain extent), but you will have the safety knowing that your OE fuel pump isn't straining at the top end. Wiring a Walbro correctly and pre-setting the fuel pressure will make sure the fuel rail is getting its full supply of fuel when pushing 1 bar. In terms of the wiring, here is the link to a guide already on this site:

Fuel pump re-wiring

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Dave

http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~dbj

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

yeah as whats been said, put a walbro in mine and had the boost put up to a bar, visited protuner in redditch (which aint far from you) and he made sure everything was running good with the fueling etc, he also run the new wiring to the pump think it was £110 for pump fitting, wiring and fueling checked

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Its not a hard job but for all the above 100 quid ish aint bad at all

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

johnny gtir wrote:Its not a hard job but for all the above 100 quid ish aint bad at all

Was pretty hard for me as i managed to split the pipes on top of the cap you unscrew, didnt realise till someone stopped me and told me fuel was pissing out from under my car Sad that little diy job cost me near 400 notes Sad

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Nightmare i thats the problem with old fuel pipes. Stress this all the time with pipes and wires on these cars

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

400 quid sye ??? Pipe can be had from halfords for a few quid per meter ...

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Yeah dropping subframe fixing the pipes, checking fueling and that was fuel pump fitting stuff aswell along with putting the boost to a bar, if i didnt go messing around in the first place i would have avoided most of the bill

I did try to fix the pipes from halfords but without dropping the subframe i couldnt get my hands in to get a proper fix so still caused issues with the fueling due to dodgy pipework

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Oh right ... i didnt find dropping the subframe and tank too bad of a job ive got to do it again on my other one .... i did it with two jacks and bread trolley ...

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

I split the pipes on mine years ago trying to access the pump. I lowered subframe and tank just enough to run new pipes. Probably will replace them again when I strip it down at some point.

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

i did it with two jacks and  bread trolley  ...nomad [/quote]  Laughing what ever turns you on ha

Sparkie

Iv removed mine with jacks& a trolley, remember frustration of not having access to a ramp to use at the time.

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Those bread trolleys are super useful, wonder how many bakers loose per year :-)

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Yeah right there
They are purposely made to carry engine and transmission unit not bloody bread Laughing

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

Sparkie

& so much better then trollies with very small wheels.

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Ive got an appetito trolley it has big wheels and a hole in the middle about the same size as the sump wich is spot on Wink

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

My car is off the road now anyway so i think ill leave it until ill be putting it back on the road. Ive got enough problems and unfinished things to do on the R already lol.

thanks for the advice anyways guys!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum