Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My R

+33
astarozna
Ryaneg6freak
mike74
TOMMYPRU.GTIR
Zia
Beany113
gtircrazy
ADZ14
burrows1980
joetheeskimo
Cosmic73
Jdmsentra
Stu
Thermal
splmum
buckym120
ducie54
sooni
pulsarmoley
mikewazowski
PartyPete
Mr B
shroom
johnny gtir
GTI-R US
Gaz GTiR
fred05
watoga
nomad
GTIR James
KF79GTIR
grim_d
gtir_woody
37 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 24]

426My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 1st November 2017, 10:17 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

13th 13 unlucky number in uk mate

Last edited by johnny gtir on 2nd November 2017, 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total

427My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 2nd November 2017, 4:24 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

nomad wrote:Stage fuel pumps ?

I have twin pumps off the surge tank, Ill stage one of them so its not running when unnecessary such as at idle.

428My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 2nd November 2017, 4:25 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

johnny gtir wrote:13th 13 unlucky number in ur mate

I didn't think of that, dont jinx it Laughing

429My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 2nd November 2017, 10:48 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Your job list must be getting short now Woody .
Hope mapping goes smooth, lot of potential for hiccups but hope you get good run and get some road kilometres clocked up soon ...

430My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 12th November 2017, 3:44 pm

ducie54

ducie54

Big days here. See if you can get a dyno sheet of a 16psi pull. I'd like one for a comparison.

431My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 12th November 2017, 6:26 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

He probably not on here as he's to busy in the garage polishing it up after the exciting trip on the dyno lol....

432My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 12th November 2017, 8:12 pm

ducie54

ducie54

nomad wrote:He probably not on here as he's to busy in the garage polishing it up after the exciting trip on the dyno lol....

I hope he's in bed, it was 2am when I posted.

433My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 12th November 2017, 11:22 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I forget about the time difference lol ...

434My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 13th November 2017, 12:08 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Dropped the car off this morning without any problems lol. I’ll go back when it’s ready for some power runs.

Big thanks to Ducie, helped me out a lot over the last few days getting it ready.

435My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 9th December 2017, 2:54 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

After spending some time fixing a couple of issue's which weren't major my car made 234hp at the wheels at 8psi.

Then the story goes bad, after a break it went back on the dyno to start tuning 20psi runs. Long story short 2 of the cam lobes are screwed and there's metal all through my engine. Ill post some pics when I pull it apart.

Looking at the positive side I have plenty of time over Christmas to get the engine out and will take the opportunity to change a couple of other things. Im planning on staying motivated and getting it rebuilt and back on dyno as fast as possible.

436My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 9th December 2017, 8:12 am

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

TOMMYPRU.GTIR

wow. sorry to hear that woody. i always check your thread and i have been waiting for you to post the news up about the dyno. gutted for you there mate. keep your chin up anyway. theres always goin to be issues when building an animal like that. just sorry its a bad one pal. and your right think positive now. change the bits you want in engine and go again.
good luck pal

437My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 9th December 2017, 6:03 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I never asked as I thought with you not posting it might of been issues mate. Never thought as bad gutted for you but glad to see you staying positive

438My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 9th December 2017, 6:31 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Sorry to hear this Chris Sad
Theres always something isn't there.

439My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 9th December 2017, 9:19 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Thanks guys, it sucks but hopefully when it gets stripped might learn something from it. Dunno if its my fault, the engine builders or the place that originally did the run in tune, or its just one of things that went wrong.

Long as I don't have to rebuild my engine as many times as Pete's gearbox ill be happy Laughing

440My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 10th December 2017, 9:19 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

A few solid hours on the spanner, just power steering, drive shafts, tailshaft and exhaust to remove and can drop the motor Smile

My R - Page 18 IMG_4249

441My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 10th December 2017, 2:03 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Sorry here that, at least you positive and that main thing really as seen with petes gearbox, approach it right and all can be resolved.
Couple of reasons could of happened, best being dirt in cam lobe oil tube blocking oil feed on effected lobes or lash out of spec or poor oil feed in general, always good on these do a visual oil feed on cam lobe surface with rocker cover off and cranking .
Other reason is metal debris started elsewhere and cam oiling an after effect, would of thought if much wrong bottom end would of heard it or oil pressure poor.
Hope no major hassle .
What cams in it woody ?
Least you can wear shorts and flipflops in the garage over christmas, uk boys would freeze to death lol . Bit of sunand your garage fridge makes any job easier . best wishes ...

442My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 10th December 2017, 9:14 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Thanks mate, will defs have to replace a few things. Will be taking the engine to a guy recommended by the tuner. Im getting pretty quick at removing the engine now lol

They were actually custom cams build by a place in Sydney if I remember correctly.

443My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 11th December 2017, 2:04 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

hopefuly not as quick as pete, haha ...

444My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 11th December 2017, 2:58 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Real shame about engine Chris, very much doubt it was the tuners fault especially as was only mapped to .8bar.
Could be a number of things such as what Mr B said above
Incorrect clearances (too tight) rocker to cam lobe
Poor oil circulation to head
Blocked oil spray bars
Cam caps not fitted back in correct order & pinching cams
Loose or badly damaged thread/s where pivot bals located in head.

Personally i would not remove the engine just yet as there is no need to!
I would remove rocker cover and carefully inspect the parts that have been damaged as this will give you an inkling in to what the issue was.
If you remove the alluminium sump pan you can check for any signs of debris and damage which may have been caused.
Once you have found the issue if needs be you can power flush the oilways from the head main oil gallery down with sump removed which will remove any fragments if stuck in oil ways.
Would also remove and check the oil pump including pressure relief valve whilst sump is removed

Good luck with it anyway and hopefully there is no real damage to bottom end thumbsup

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

445My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 11th December 2017, 8:55 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Thanks bob, in no way was I saying it was the shop that tuned it this time. They were amazing and really did help me out. What I was saying I did take it to another workshop when the motor was brand new for them to heat cycle/ run in. Probably unlikely but that’s what I meant Smile anyway it will be abit of discovery when it gets torn down.

446My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 12th December 2017, 9:31 am

mike74

mike74

sorry to hear about that mate! Sad
there was no noise before this was discovered either? Shocked
I wonder if there was maybe some issue with the material/treatment used in the cams themselves?

447My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 12th December 2017, 10:07 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Thanks mate, no noise that we picked up on. I was actually thinking that about the cams but probably hard to figure out.

448My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 13th December 2017, 9:04 am

mike74

mike74

If you're that bothered about it you could always get a machine shop to do a hardness test on them.
If you had another camshaft to test (not even an R one) you could compare the results to see if they were substantially different...they may very well be soft!

449My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 22nd December 2017, 8:24 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Thought id post some pics of the damage Smile

My R - Page 18 Image

My R - Page 18 3_1

My R - Page 18 3_2

450My R - Page 18 Empty Re: My R 22nd December 2017, 8:29 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Also got some 270/12.4 cams and jim wolf adjustable cam sprockets. Advantage with these ones is I don't have to worry about them coming loose like the allen key adjustable sprockets commonly do.

My R - Page 18 IMG_4269

Bob is also kind enough to be sorting me out with some really good condition rocker arms

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 24]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum