Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Engine out over winter ,

+3
pulsarmoley
nomad
ROB_IOW
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Engine out over winter ,  Empty Engine out over winter , 2nd August 2013, 7:41 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Well i have 29 days left on my road tax  . once it runs out it will be sorned until march / april

My plans are to swap out the clutch and replace the turbo as well as do a little bodywork
and also re underseal the centre floor area ( see my thread from last winter  )   http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t746-bobs-front-end-stripped-down-start-date-01-11-12

So will be dropping the engine and box over the winter

I'm gonna fit a new clutch that is easily capable of holding 360 bhp  ,   reinforce the clutch fork and find a new turbo technics stage 1 , And probably buy some new engine mounts
Only reason i'm changing the turbo is because it's 12 years old and the actuator is abit weak ...

Next year with the new turbo  i'm gonna get it mapped to hold 1.4 bar ( currently 330bhp at 1bar )

Are there any mods or upgrades that you lot reckon i should do while it's in bits .
Are the gearbox reinforcement brakets any good? Do i need one if running 350bhp?

2Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 2nd August 2013, 8:53 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Do you mean the gearbox end case braces rob ?   Only thing i can think of  if its out is rear engine hoses if they havent already been done ..... still think 330 at 1bar is pretty amazing as most have to up the boost more than that for those kinda figures .... what clutch are you going for ?

3Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 2nd August 2013, 10:03 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Not sure on clutch mayabe a helix organic !  Want driveability really .
And yeah the gearbox brace do i need one really ?  At what point do the boxes give up?

Like bob said in many previous posts i've had alot done to my engine for a standard sized turbo most people just slap a big turbo on and nobody ever sticks with the standard sized turbo to see what can be got from it !.

My engine spec ,    Lightened bottom end , wiseco piston , hks cams , tomei rocker stoppers , light weight flywheel , flowed exhhaust manifold , full 3 inch system inc elbow  , pace front mount ,fully lagged pipes inc exhaust , Z32 , apexi air filter in custom airbox , 560 injectors , apexi boost comp , apexi power fc , sheepdog bov , 12v direct feed to fuel pump , walbro , turbo technics stage 1 turbo

4Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 2nd August 2013, 10:21 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Im not really sure theres a cut off point bhp wise regarding the brace its down to luck and how you treat it i guess people have run them running at 400 without issues ....i spose it depends on how full your pockets are also .... they can be fitted in situ so isnt to bad if its all put back together .

5Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 2nd August 2013, 10:43 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

I've got 6 months to find one if i decide to fit one once the Tax runs out...

I'm also gonna try and find an uncut front bumper

6Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 2nd August 2013, 10:51 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Wasnt str motorsport doing them on the modifiers remember seeing he was doing them a while back ..... uncut bumpers do pop up i have two lol

7Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 2nd August 2013, 10:52 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

That's just greedy...

8Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 2nd August 2013, 10:57 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

What can i say im a hoarder lol .... one of them will be going with the shell possibly .

9Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 2nd August 2013, 11:00 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

And the other your gonna give to me... That's very kind :-)

10Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 9:04 am

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

What turbo would you lot fit that is same size as standard turbo ...
Or is a direct replacement

Reason i need the same size is because i have the pace front mount intercooler fitted it pushes the rad backwards to wards the turbo .
Leaving very little room , I could remove one of the slimline fans to give more space i suppose , I also want whatever turbo i fit to be able to bolt up straight upto my 3inch front pipe without having to chop etc ..

11Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 4:51 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Thought you had decided on another stage 1 turbo? Is the stage 1 a bb version of the standard?

12Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 5:18 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Well i have but if for similar ish money i can get a better turbo then that would be money well spent ..
Stage 1 is 360 thrust bearing and possibly different fins on the turbo but not 100%
Can i get the stage 1 roller bearing'd ?  What benefit would that have?

13Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 6:07 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Not sure mate. Look into a GT2871 with 0.64 housing and see if that's a possible replacement and cost? This is what I'm thinking of going for if I get fed up with my turbo.

14Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 7:56 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep 2871r is a great all round tubby

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

15Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 8:00 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Will one of them be same size Bob... Don't have loads of room

16Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 8:11 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yes they do one which is practically identical to a stock turbo but has 3'' intake which will just mean grinding a bit off your bellhousing

17Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 8:14 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Any idea how many £'s id have to part with

18Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 8:26 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

you need to be doing some digging rob but im guessing in excess of a grand.
I do however have one that needs a recore which I want £150 for but youll need to get price on the rebuild first but im guessing around £450 in which case its a cheap tubby

19Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 8:34 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

You have pm Bob

20Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 8:49 pm

GTIR James

agree with bob. 2871 is a good all round turbo. not all that laggy either. think i paid about £1100 for mine:cry: 
as said with the 3 inch inlet you will need to grind a bit off the bell housing to fit & two multi layer exhaust gaskets help.
if you need pics of the process let me no;) 

21Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 8:50 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Gaz put up a link for a fella who rebuilds tubbys in the useful link section.

22Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 9:22 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

I had to grind my bell housing with the little tubby I fitted? At least its ready for a bigger one if required Very Happy 
If you can get one for a good price, you already have the supporting mods; z32 560 injectors etc

23Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 9:41 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Engines capable of 400bhp with ease.. Once i fit new clutch and a gearbox brace
And get it mapped it will fly..

330bhp now and I'm happy 350 + I'll be over the moon

24Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 7th August 2013, 9:48 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

I'll be glad if I can hit 300hp this year. Good luck finding one then Very Happy 

25Engine out over winter ,  Empty Re: Engine out over winter , 8th August 2013, 6:10 am

fwdben

fwdben

From experience, 400 bhp isn't hard to achieve. I run 1.5 bar on a garrett th60-1 (ok so fairly big) but I have nothing else except a forged engine! (No cams, no porting, standard MAF)

I use my car every single day at 400bhp, and in 3 years, apart from my gearboxes I've not had one problem!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum