Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Getting the door open!!

+2
Pulsar Paul
johnboy
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Getting the door open!! Empty Getting the door open!! 8th June 2013, 4:53 pm

johnboy

johnboy

Just gone out to move my car, after a good day on the track yesterday, and the driver door won't open. Central locking etc all seems to be working and I can open the passenger door OK but the drivers door doesn't budge from inside or outside. Sad
Any thoughts on how I can get to it to fix it??

2Getting the door open!! Empty Re: Getting the door open!! 8th June 2013, 5:35 pm

Pulsar Paul

Pulsar Paul

Ah that's not good
Was good to see you again yesterday and the car sounding good!

Someone may have a better idea

But not sure if you can take the door card off with the door shut or not. If not if someone gave you a hand could you take the wing off and undo the hinges and see if that released the door? May be a bit extreme tho?

3Getting the door open!! Empty Re: Getting the door open!! 8th June 2013, 5:43 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Do is look like its dropped ? Can you not take the door panel off and manually pull the rods ?

4Getting the door open!! Empty Re: Getting the door open!! 8th June 2013, 6:10 pm

Take the seat out ,un screw the door card along the bottom, the door handle and internal latch pull cover off and you should have enough room to be able to get to the locking mech, sounds like one of the plastic clips that holds the release bars on has broken and the release bar has fallen off

5Getting the door open!! Empty Re: Getting the door open!! 8th June 2013, 6:23 pm

johnboy

johnboy

Yes, my first thought was to get the door card off but I can't see any way of getting at the screws. On mine they are hidden by the door step and I can just see the top edge of 2 of them. I tried to move one of them but there is nowhere for it to go as it unscrews - only managed one turn on it.
With the window down I can just see some parts of the lock so I'll have a poke around for a while and see if anything moves. I'm sure the average car thief would get it open in about 10 seconds!! Cool

6Getting the door open!! Empty Re: Getting the door open!! 8th June 2013, 7:53 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

How did you get on ? Could you not take the window trim off on the outer side and see if you can catch a rod with abit of wire ?

7Getting the door open!! Empty Re: Getting the door open!! 8th June 2013, 9:40 pm

johnboy

johnboy

Found an old lock in my junk pile and had a look at how it works. The internal and external rods and linkages go separately in to the main lock so a break in any one linkage can't stop the door opening. Looks like the problem is inside the lock and I'm f****d if I can see a way of getting in to that... Evil or Very Mad
Will have another look tomorrow.

If I'm lucky it mighty suddenly start to work. lol!

8Getting the door open!! Empty Re: Getting the door open!! 8th June 2013, 10:32 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

BIG HAMMER Shocked

9Getting the door open!! Empty Re: Getting the door open!! 8th June 2013, 10:34 pm

GTI_R_IOW wrote:BIG HAMMER Shocked

Lol

10Getting the door open!! Empty Re: Getting the door open!! 9th June 2013, 7:58 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

If you are quite sure the opening handles feel correct in movement/feel then it maybe worth using a litte calculated force.
With an assistant outside the car try pushing door inwards then outwards with some force while either opening handle is in use. Sometimes this jogging motion will release a sticky lock pin mechanism & then it can be checked/replaced as needed.
If that fails you may need loose a door card to gain some access inside the door but i'm sure Bobby will have a good door card if needed.
With door card removed you will be able to evaluate the situation a bit better & perhaps something simple can be seen or simply spraying lubricant onto the catch assembly will help in opening the door ...

11Getting the door open!! Empty Re: Getting the door open!! 9th June 2013, 8:09 am

johnboy

johnboy

An angle grinder has crossed my mind. affraid

The lock and unlock appear to be working normally, from inside and outside, and the handles do what you'd expect when you try to open a locked door. Will give it a couple of days, and hit it a few times, to see if it sorts out. If not then it will have to be the door card that goes...

12Getting the door open!! Empty Re: Getting the door open!! 9th June 2013, 8:25 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

you did not twist ur shell on track and the door is jammed Twisted Evil

13Getting the door open!! Empty Re: Getting the door open!! 13th June 2013, 9:14 pm

johnboy

johnboy

You were right mate.
Big hammer and chisel down on to the top of the lock through the window slot.
Didn't do the lock much good but at least the door came open.Twisted Evil
It was a broken spring right inside the lock....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum