Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Power Steering Issue

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Power Steering Issue Empty Power Steering Issue 14th February 2019, 10:57 am

Marcello

Marcello

ey guys,

for a while I have had power steering issue leaking from the low pressure hose in the past and noisey pump.

today replaced the pump and low pressure hose with just a aftermarket normal hose and the new pump is noisey and I still don’t have power steering.

almost seems air is not bleeeing out

any ideas this is getting frustrating

thanks

2Power Steering Issue Empty Re: Power Steering Issue 14th February 2019, 12:04 pm

mike74

mike74

You absolutely sure its the pump(s) to fault and not the rack, or a blockage somewhere?
Was it a brand new pump you fitted?
Have you listened to the pump using a screwdriver as a stethoscope to verify that's where the noise is coming from? (ie not the rack or water pump!)
Have you turned the steering lock to lock a few times to bleed the air out?

3Power Steering Issue Empty Re: Power Steering Issue 17th February 2019, 4:39 am

Marcello

Marcello

mike74 wrote:You absolutely sure its the pump(s) to fault and not the rack, or a blockage somewhere?
Was it a brand new pump you fitted?
Have you listened to the pump using a screwdriver as a stethoscope to verify that's where the noise is coming from? (ie not the rack or water pump!)
Have you turned the steering lock to lock a few times to bleed the air out?

Well i cant be 100% sure what it is.
Pump was reconditioned from Bob..

I have bleed the air out multiple times now i have got it to this stage.

Power steering functions fine now with no noticeable noise when driving the car and its feeling great, however

when i am at idle and turn the wheel or parking under 2000 rpm , its almost like i have no power steering and i am hearing loud noises .

But when i bleed the car under 2000 rpm when jacked up and i turn the wheel to bleed i am not hearing any noises, its to only occur under the car's weight load under & under 2000rpm the system has an issue.

Crying or Very sad

4Power Steering Issue Empty Re: Power Steering Issue 18th February 2019, 9:34 am

Marcello

Marcello

Video to Show

5Power Steering Issue Empty Re: Power Steering Issue 18th February 2019, 11:50 am

mike74

mike74

That's weird, sounds like a belt rubbing almost?!
Are you sure its coming from the pump and not the rack itself? Maybe the seal on the internal piston is letting fluid past, hence why there's not enough pressure below 2000 rpm?

6Power Steering Issue Empty Re: Power Steering Issue 18th February 2019, 3:46 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Well seems it seems work fine once pump at higher rpm one would assume pressure low either from pump rotor/housing worn or other internal fluid bypass keeping pressure low until pump speed high enough compensate the loss .
Other area check is pulley to shaft & belt drive .
Most common issue is worn pump rotor assembly and pressure bypass valve possibly not seating enough at low rpm .
First thing do is see if noise at pump or rack (use a screwdriver as stethoscope)as may help you make decisions on what at fault .
Other thing do is compare current faults to what had with previous pump, recon/used tends be good way get a headache .
Swapping out or building up a pump from a newer donor pump be easier/cheaper than messing with the rack (not seen much issues on racks but piston seal or port assembly could be an issue)
What I done once was build a R pump using parts from a 10yr younger pump from a 10yr younger nissan pickup (loads of nissans right up to late 2000's got same internals)

7Power Steering Issue Empty Re: Power Steering Issue 20th February 2019, 1:19 am

Marcello

Marcello

mike74 wrote:That's weird, sounds like a belt rubbing almost?!
Are you sure its coming from the pump and not the rack itself? Maybe the seal on the internal piston is letting fluid past, hence why there's not enough pressure below 2000 rpm?

Yeah its wierd,

Checked the belts, they seem pretty good and there isn't hardly any play in them.

The rack could be a possibility! however, if it was letting fluid past wouldn't the reservoir bottle be emptying slowly?

Mr B wrote:Well seems it seems work fine once pump at higher rpm one would assume pressure low either from pump rotor/housing worn or other internal fluid bypass keeping pressure low until pump speed high enough compensate the loss .
Other area check is pulley to shaft & belt drive .
Most common issue is worn pump rotor assembly and pressure bypass valve possibly not seating enough at low rpm .
First thing do is see if noise at pump or rack (use a screwdriver as stethoscope)as may help you make decisions on what at fault .
Other thing do is compare current faults to what had with previous pump, recon/used tends be good way get a headache .
Swapping out or building up a pump from a newer donor pump be easier/cheaper than messing with the rack (not seen much issues on racks but piston seal or port assembly could be an issue)
What I done once was build a R pump using parts from a 10yr younger pump from a 10yr younger nissan pickup (loads of nissans right up to late 2000's got same internals)

Thanks for your input, it's just a shame that this pump could have potential worn issues since it was reconditioned. Sad

THe weirdest thing about this is that, the Power steering makes no noise when its jacked up in the air, as soon as you put it on the ground it starts making the noise.

8Power Steering Issue Empty Re: Power Steering Issue 20th February 2019, 1:25 am

Marcello

Marcello

9Power Steering Issue Empty Re: Power Steering Issue 20th February 2019, 2:45 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Marcello wrote:THe weirdest thing about this is that, the Power steering makes no noise when its jacked up in the air, as soon as you put it on the ground it starts making the noise.

Not weird at all and partly telling you what wrong.
When off the ground with no weight on the hubs and no tyre scrub you don't need much hydraulic pressure .

Be 100% sure no belt or pulley issues and chase that noise down with stethoscope, you need an assistant on steering while you do the inspections .

If belt drive all perfect I would say it possibly pump rotor churning fluid as worn/faulty blades or pressure valve ...

10Power Steering Issue Empty Re: Power Steering Issue 20th February 2019, 8:49 am

mike74

mike74

If its the dynamic seal inside the rack that's passing fluid then no, it wouldn't leak out of the rack. As Mr B says there isn't a lot of hydraulic pressure required to turn the wheels when they're off the ground so the leaky seal would still work ok in this situation. It's probably still leaking fluid past but, not as much so you can't hear it. When you load it up however, the seal has to be able to hold pressure to turn the wheels. If most of this pressure is leaking past it then it will make a louder noise and give you heavier steering.
Try the screwdriver stethoscope trick on the pump first and if that's ok then try the rack.
It could be one of the hoses starting to collapse internally but I wouldn't think it was likely.

11Power Steering Issue Empty Re: Power Steering Issue 23rd February 2019, 12:36 pm

Marcello

Marcello

Thanks mate , seems the high pressure hose is pretty noisey However I’m not sure if it’s the noise from the pump going to that hose

12Power Steering Issue Empty Re: Power Steering Issue 23rd February 2019, 2:36 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Pump is most likely, would assume it pressure pulses/rotor that causing the noise ...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum