Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Standard rear shocks

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Standard rear shocks Empty Standard rear shocks 23rd August 2018, 9:29 am

mike74

mike74

I've been continually looking for a UK supplier of rear shocks for aaaages now, spurred on by an advisory on my recent MOT about the right rear shock having 'slight misting' around it.
Anyway, I found this on ebay last night:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Rear-Shock-Absorbers-for-Nissan-Sunny-2-0-04-92-12-93/122500294234?hash=item1c8596265a:g:pLcAAOSws5pZG7HR

The description all sounds good and even the picture looks like its a winner. I've ordered a set this morning so I'll see if they actually do fit or not within the next week hopefully.
These are oil filled but, so are the ones already on my car just now (unless the gas has already left the building!).

Just a heads up that theres only one set left now if anyone else wants to take a chance on them like me  Very Happy

cheers for now,

mike

2Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 23rd August 2018, 10:08 am

Irishlad

Irishlad

Are they specially made to fit the GTIR?

3Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 23rd August 2018, 10:14 am

mike74

mike74

Allegedly. i'll know for sure when they arrive I guess...

4Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 23rd August 2018, 1:04 pm

Irishlad

Irishlad

Hope they work out for ya matey.

5Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 23rd August 2018, 1:26 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

They won't be right.
the 4wd rear struts are very specific in drop link mount, tube height under the mount bracket for driveshaft clearance and actual tube and rod diameters (larger on the 4wd)
Even the n13 and n14 non turbo 4wd are not exact match .

6Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 23rd August 2018, 2:19 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

KYB has a GTi-R specific shock now. RHD Japan sells them.

7Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 23rd August 2018, 2:42 pm

mike74

mike74

yeah but between shipping & import duty the cost of two shocks jumps up to around £500!! Sad
For some obscure reason KYB won't import the shocks we need into the EU...twats!

8Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 23rd August 2018, 3:09 pm

Irishlad

Irishlad

I had a feeling the turbo shocks are different because of the 4wd system.

9Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 23rd August 2018, 3:49 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

B13 Sentra SE-R shocks will work, but you'll have to make something for the rear end link attachment point.

10Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 23rd August 2018, 4:02 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Ryaneg6freak wrote:KYB has a GTi-R specific shock now. RHD Japan sells them.
Only Kayaba ones I know of is the specials by Kayaba Japan.
Kayaba - KYB europe do no match for the 4wd rears for any 4wd n13 or n14 .

A lot will bolt in but they skinny in comparison, may not clear driveshaft pending on manufaturer design at tube base and all have wrong drop link position .

Your best bet on these is inserts, either koni (nissan maxima) or better is R36 bilstein as oem rears are 50mm strut tubes . For front struts use R36 inserts you need GAB struts (50mm bodies) as the oem standard front tubes are 45mm so on those would need the R30 inserts which have more basic valving assemblies .

11Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 24th August 2018, 8:03 am

mike74

mike74

Mr B wrote:They won't be right.
the 4wd rear struts are very specific in drop link mount, tube height under the mount bracket for driveshaft clearance and actual tube and rod diameters (larger on the 4wd)
Even the n13 and n14 non turbo 4wd are not exact match .

Please don't say that!
The part number for these and the other sunny models listed are different so I'm still reasonably hopeful they'll be right. I even had a nice chat with one of their advisors on the phone after placing the order and she was sure they fit a SUNNY GTIR. I had to explain that if the picture was right on the advert and her listing were correct then it would fit my car ok.
fingers crossed anyway...

12Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 24th August 2018, 12:10 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Generally the advisors are useless they only go with what they see on a computer and if that wrong they wrong also .
I don't see manufacturer part number or a pic in the listing so can't be sure on what you getting .
It can't be correct for a gti and gtir as the 4wd rear strut is specific .
The fwd rear struts do match the hub and will bolt in but tube diameters and drop link bracket 2 biggest/major visual differences .
Some rear struts will protrude too low below bracket thus won't clear the 4wd rear driveshaft .
Closest off shelf aftermarket match I ever found was the NA 4wd nissans but they not domestic models for europe .
Should imagine if no good you can return them easy enough .
You UK guys really need look into inserts as pretty easy and pretty affordable and makes them totally future servicable .

13Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 24th August 2018, 8:36 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I know 100% the gti and r are different as I have fitted both a pair on an r and a pair on a gti as my mate wanted my old pair of standard struts and the arb mounting are different and gti ones are slimmer ...when compared next each other

14Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 25th August 2018, 11:49 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^
I found this out from similar cross fitting effort/parts matching and what others in asia region had tried.
Original struts could be had for 120-150 few years back, no idea on current pricing/availability .

15Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 30th August 2018, 9:17 am

mike74

mike74

FFS! Just had another call from these guys after six days silence. They're now flip flopping saying how they've checked their system again (thought they already had done this?!) and they don't fit my car!
They've suggested that I buy straight from Nissan as that's seemingly all that's available Sad
notimpressed.com

16Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 30th August 2018, 9:33 am

mike74

mike74

I just checked out a genuine Nissan spares outlet and they stock the right hand shock BUT, no left hand one as its 'no longer available'??
Estimated cost shipped to my door for the one shock is £150 Shocked

17Standard rear shocks Empty Re: Standard rear shocks 30th August 2018, 11:18 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Inserts is the way forward imo mike .
You can go off shelf or custom inserts, some have used koni nx100 kits from USA, whiteline used koni nissan maxima when they done kit for R and you can take close length match off shelf in bilstien R36 or order to your specs .
Seems like ballache but inserts pretty easy once get ball rolling and the r36 are potentially massive step forward in shock engineering .
To be fair 150 a shock wouldn't be too bad as was around 120 roughly 6+ yrs ago .
I'm a massive fan of the R36 inverted struts.
Have seen a Subaru sti donor swap in malaysia, they used the standard sti inverted cartridge struts and stripped them then modded mount plates and brackets for the R and had custom made springs, worked out well but easier for most just make R 50mm struts inverted inserts with the R36 cartridges .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum