Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

how to build a head light pod / air scoop

+4
GTI-R US
nomad
pulsarmoley
ROB_IOW
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty how to build a head light pod / air scoop 21st November 2012, 5:56 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Well i've started today but this could take a while so please bear with me on this build ..

Started by getting an old headlight ..
put it in the sink and filled the inside of the light with very hot water from the tap .
Then i boiled the kettle and stood headlight up and poured water over the joint between glass and plastic back and the glass needed very little help from me with a screw driver to split it apart ..
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121121_131309
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121121_131326
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121121_131353

Once i removed the glass i had a good look at the unit and asked myself why when people build these scoops do they remove the mirrored lense and then spend time rebuilding the same basic shape to build the air directing scoop again !

I got my grinder out and cut through the plastic back and mirrored part  then stripped it all apart to clean up the cuts .
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121121_171730

Re assembled the unit used my glue gun to hold the two parts together then set about making the two parts become one big part using fibre fill ..
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121121_171803

This will line up perfectly with my custom air box that is currently being fed by my indicator duct
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121113_125149-1

And thats pretty much all i've done so far .. but the basic shape is there .
Just more fibre fill then some body filler to smooth it all then paint ...

easy as that

i will update this as and when i do some more to it

2how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 21st November 2012, 6:18 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Good start to the thread, i probably would of taken the less sensible route and smashed the glass off after the day ive had Rolling Eyes Laughing
Keep us updated Very Happy

3how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 21st November 2012, 7:29 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Great write up nice to see others going a how to Very Happy

4how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 21st November 2012, 7:35 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep well wrote rob

i done one nd stuck it in the oven to get glss off, wouldnt have thought about boiling water which is a better idea tbh and it saves the other half moaning at ya lol

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

5how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 22nd November 2012, 6:04 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Abit more fibre fill
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121122_170530
sand down the high spots and apply some filler
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121122_173944
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121122_174003
I'm still puzzled as to why everyone who makes these remove the mirrored part .
It makes for a perfect funnel

6how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 22nd November 2012, 10:54 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Looking good how much fibre glass does it take to fill the surround?

7how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 23rd November 2012, 8:14 am

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

not alot really .... maybe half a small tin of fibre fill ....
If you wanted to make it lighter you could glue some plastic over the top of the hole and then just fill the gaps ...

8how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 23rd November 2012, 10:07 am

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Looking good so far ;-)

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

9how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 23rd November 2012, 4:53 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Sanded it down and had a good look over the pod thingy . at the back/inside there is a gap and it just doesn't look right .
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121123_091242
Needed a little somthing
so got my soldering iron out and some black plastic and plastic welded some plastic in so it has more shape ..
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121123_110340
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121123_110347
sanded down and applied some primer to check for defects in my dodgy filler work
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121123_143832
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121123_143825
Few small holes filled and sanded and it's nearly ready for paint
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121123_161308

Going well i think .

10how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 23rd November 2012, 5:27 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Looking smart Very Happy im prefering the look to how many people do it as it prutudes further keeping the glass shape rather than just flat Wink

11how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 27th November 2012, 10:33 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121127_142320
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121127_142255
how to build a head light pod / air scoop 20121127_142518

Job done

12how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 27th November 2012, 10:37 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Very smart rob that a job well done Very Happy

13how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 27th November 2012, 10:40 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Good work

14how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 27th November 2012, 10:45 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Looking good!
Be good to see the grill in place aswell tho lol

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

15how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 28th November 2012, 7:25 am

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

Can't put grill on... Car is in bits... See my strip down build in members protects section

Jammin

Jammin

Rob, do you remove the mirrored part once you filled the gaps with the fibre fill?
Or leave it in place and just primer over it and then paint it?
Cheers

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Leave the mirror part in mate check pics 1st page Wink

Jammin

Jammin

Do you think expanding foam could be used to fill the void betwee the mirrored section and the casing? Then sand it back and give a skim of filler?

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

You could use expanding foam you would have to try form some kind of side to keep the shape maybe card or abit metal or tape drill a hole in it then push the expanding foam into it just do a little at a time though otherwise it will just go everywhere .

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I would suggest you do it back far enough to put a skim of fibreglass as i would think filler ontop of the foam would crack .

Jammin

Jammin

Nomad, i was just going to use the foam to fill the gap between the casing and the mirrored part, so the shape will be there as im just going between the 2 parts. Ill use the foam from the back of the unit to take up all of the gap, then once its hardened sand it back to shape.
I did think about using the fibre galss, but though that once the foam had hardened, the filler would be ok to go stright on top. i might have a little try on some first.
Thanks

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

You could pop the glass off fill mirrored part with paper tight wrap a piece of cling film around the glass push the glass back on then use expanding foam from the back you should be able to pull the glass off as the cling film will stop the foam from sticking to the glass .

23how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 19th November 2017, 6:12 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

Did the photobucket issue get solved? Can't see the pics on this how to?

24how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 19th November 2017, 6:51 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

if use the photobucket fix plugin for firefox or chrome you can see them .

25how to build a head light pod / air scoop Empty Re: how to build a head light pod / air scoop 19th November 2017, 7:12 pm

Daveymeladdy

Daveymeladdy

Is that just a case of viewing with Firefox?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum