Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking for a better steering rack?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Looking for a better steering rack? 13th January 2018, 7:41 am

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

Has anyone ever found a steering rack with a better ratio for quicker steering, either factory or aftermarket?  I hate how slow the steering is on this thing, i would like something that's 2 turns or less, lock to lock, for autocross.

I know about steering ratio quickeners, but I don't really want to use one of those on a street car, not to mention the fabrication it would take, and the added stress it put on the power steering pump.

I've searched and searched, but have come up with nothing.

2Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Re: Looking for a better steering rack? 13th January 2018, 9:01 am

astarozna

astarozna

They can do you one. If you want i can call them and ask?
http://www.sellholm.se/en

3Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Re: Looking for a better steering rack? 13th January 2018, 12:38 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

Sure Asta, maybe give them a call and see if it's something that's reasonably priced.

4Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Re: Looking for a better steering rack? 13th January 2018, 1:57 pm

astarozna

astarozna

Just remembered what about motorised rack? I know they use them in rally.
P.s did you get my mail regarding lhd gtir?

5Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Re: Looking for a better steering rack? 14th January 2018, 2:53 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

You know of anyone that makes an electric rack and pinion for Pulsar?

Yes, i got your email.

6Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Re: Looking for a better steering rack? 14th January 2018, 4:45 pm

astarozna

astarozna

They use this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-CORSA-C-1-3-CDTI-bj-2005-STEERING-COLUMN-POWER-STEERING-13205208/253336428470?fits=Car+Make%3AOpel%7CModel%3ACorsa+C&hash=item3afc071fb6:g:ByAAAOSw3ZtaRihO

7Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Re: Looking for a better steering rack? 14th January 2018, 6:00 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

That's just electric power steering, that won't actually make your steering faster or increase the ratio. Everyone and their sister makes a quick ratio rack for Honda, but nothing is available for most nissans

8Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Re: Looking for a better steering rack? 15th January 2018, 8:09 am

astarozna

astarozna

Quick steering around €600.- rhd, lhd

9Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Re: Looking for a better steering rack? 15th January 2018, 11:45 am

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

astarozna wrote:Quick steering around €600.- rhd, lhd

How is it done? would that be a whole replacement rack and pinion?

10Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Re: Looking for a better steering rack? 15th January 2018, 11:46 am

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

Even if someone made something like this for use in the stock rack body, that would be excellent.

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/p-1348-quaife-quick-ratio-rack-and-pinion-kit-283-turns-ltl.aspx

11Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Re: Looking for a better steering rack? 15th January 2018, 12:21 pm

astarozna

astarozna

Ryaneg6freak wrote:

It would be the whole rack.

12Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Re: Looking for a better steering rack? 16th January 2018, 3:41 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

astarozna wrote:
Ryaneg6freak wrote:

It would be the whole rack.

what kind of ratio are we talking here? 2.8 to 2.5 turns lock to lock would be ideal.

13Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Re: Looking for a better steering rack? 16th January 2018, 4:06 pm

astarozna

astarozna

It's custom order so guess you determine the ratio.

14Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Re: Looking for a better steering rack? 20th January 2018, 11:55 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

im currently in the process of modifying a steering rack fron a b13 sunny. Its a manual rack and im told is a better turn ratio.

Bought a remanufactured unit the other day for not a lot of money which has now been delivered.

After looking at it the main bit that needs modification is the height of pinion spline that go into the column lower assembly, The pinion assembly needs raising around 3'' and the spline diameter is far to small but i have a cunning plan to rectify this and then il have a manual (much lighter rack)
hopefully with a better gear ratio Smile

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

15Looking for a better steering rack? Empty Re: Looking for a better steering rack? 20th January 2018, 3:57 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

GTI-R US wrote:im currently in the process of modifying a steering rack fron a b13 sunny. Its a manual rack and im told is a better turn ratio.

Bought a remanufactured unit the other day for not a lot of money which has now been delivered.

After looking at it the main bit that needs modification is the height of pinion spline that go into the column lower assembly, The pinion assembly needs raising around 3'' and the spline diameter is far to small but i have a cunning plan to rectify this and then il have a manual (much lighter rack)  
hopefully with a better gear ratio Smile

You have my full attention Bob. Please keep us updated.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum