Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

steering rack

+2
Mr B
Digitalfaze
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1steering rack Empty steering rack 13th June 2014, 1:18 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

gonna have to replace this as its sounding a bit rough and was advisory on mot so where can i get one of these and at what cost, is this is a job i can do myself and is there anything i can upgrade while im there? bushes ill probably do but anything else?

cheers

http://www.avaloncreative.co.uk

2steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 13th June 2014, 2:10 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Fiddly old job, you best doing tie rods & rod ends while out & in bits.
Rack is GTiR specific so you got a choice of getting yours inspected & reconditioned if possible/cost effective or buying a good used one for probably about £40.
Recon is good option if have good shop to do it, buying 25yr old steering racks is risky game unless coming off last made R's with low mileage.
Old racks don't like lying around on a shelf for ages either & if chucked about without pipe joints sealed it will be a risky gamble so buy used wisely or you will become expert at rack removal & fitting.

3steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 13th June 2014, 2:22 pm

toaster55

toaster55

you can get the whiteline bushes from the US but they'll cost you about $65 so watch the exchange rate to get best deal! the part number is w11736 type it in on ebay.com and they come straight up

4steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 13th June 2014, 4:33 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Ive just removed one from my shell if you intrested il do it for £30 + p+p .... drop me a pm if so ....

5steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 16th June 2014, 9:24 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

thanks i think ill buy one new as its not something i wanna have to do again in 6months time if you know what i mean, is there any special tools needed for the job?

6steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 16th June 2014, 12:27 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

No special tools needed mate worst bit will be the rack bolt ....

7steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 16th June 2014, 5:20 pm

grim_d

grim_d

I would almost consider pulling the lump out to do the rack!  Laughing 

But maybe that's just me and my enormous ape digits.

8steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 16th June 2014, 5:43 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I have heard its a dog off a job was it the rack they said best to have a ramp and even then its a very time consuming job ? Sure the last person said unless it was you grim a while back if they ever done it again lump would be coming out

9steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 16th June 2014, 6:17 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Its not that bad its 4bolts then the uj joint plus track rod ends ....there is abit of space between the bulkhead and the block ...

10steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 16th June 2014, 6:27 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Done it just not with lump in

11steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 16th June 2014, 6:32 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Its alot easier standing in the engine bay a johnny  Wink 

12steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 16th June 2014, 6:40 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Changed a few racks in my time but not a gtir yet, it's a pig of a job on most cars purely because of where they are, plus getting covered in fluid is a bugger.

13steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 16th June 2014, 6:43 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I bet mate. You stickyin them plug leads in the other post to usefull links ? Leighton

14steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 16th June 2014, 7:56 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yeah no worries il do it now johnny ..... it really isnt that bad the key is getting yourself under the car properly rather so your not feeling like your having a go at twister lol ...

15steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 16th June 2014, 7:59 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Mr b beat me too it .....

16steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 17th June 2014, 10:31 am

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

johnny gtir wrote:I have heard its a dog off a job was it the rack they said best to have a ramp and even then its a very time consuming job ? Sure the last person said unless it was you grim a while back if they ever done it again lump would be coming out

yes it was an advisory on my mot (steering rack leaking) and seems to be making scraping when turning so assume this is the issue

17steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 17th June 2014, 6:08 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Sure it's the rack that's leaking? The reservoir lower pipe connection tends to weep on these cars, gets everywhere. If the rack is leaking it will probably fill the gaiters up with fluid until the spits it on the floor.

What's the fluid level like? Pump makes a hell of a noise if the fluid is low or air is trapped in the system. So much so I thought I had a top end rattle when I did a first start after putting my engine in last week.

18steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 17th June 2014, 11:40 pm

Digitalfaze

Digitalfaze
web admin
web admin

Funny you mention a top end rattle as i noticed a sort of top end rattle today, i have also noticed a sort of oil down the left side of the engine, does the fluid go in the black res beside the clutch fluid res? What fluid do i use as its actually low

19steering rack Empty Re: steering rack 18th June 2014, 11:59 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Black reservoir left hand side of the engine, use any power steering/automatic transmission fluid, it should be cherry red in colour.

Look at the bottom of the reservoir, there's a rubber pipe there that tends to leak and needs replaced to stop the leak. Think it's a small section of rubber hose and goes onto a hard pipe. Been a while.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum