Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

17" wheels camber & toe

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

117" wheels camber & toe Empty 17" wheels camber & toe 6th December 2017, 10:09 am

mike74

mike74

Morning guys,

A very quick one for you all. I'm running 17" wheels with 205/40/17 tyres.

Would these settings: -1.3° camber and 0° toe (straight) be good for road use with these tyres?

I got my R 4 wheel aligned and had camber bolts fitted but they insisted on going with the factory settings to begin with...so I'm now rocking 0°10' (total) toe out and -0°15' camber (per side) at the front. Its really twitchy on a straight line, hellish going over any imperfections and doesn't really feel like its 'biting' going round corners. Not good considering the weather man's expecting the end of the world tomorrow and Friday! Shocked

I'm hoping the tweaks mentioned above would be a lot better.

cheers for now,

mike

217" wheels camber & toe Empty Re: 17" wheels camber & toe 6th December 2017, 7:25 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

17s and low profiles tend be bit that way, toe in just a minimal bit could help straight line stability.
1 to 1.3 okay for front camber, 0.5 to 0.7 for rear .
Ideally you could do with 15" or 16" rims with winter tire set . be proper fun in the snow and good photo opportunity.

317" wheels camber & toe Empty Re: 17" wheels camber & toe 6th December 2017, 11:01 pm

mike74

mike74

Cheers Mr B, was hoping somebody would give me the nod for those numbers.
TBH i didnt really want 17s but the car came with a set. I got a new set of tyres for them only then to be told the old alloys were fooked! There i was with a new set of 17" tyres and kinda forced into buying wheels to fit them. Maybe next year ill down grade to smaller Smile

417" wheels camber & toe Empty Re: 17" wheels camber & toe 7th December 2017, 2:13 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

For road use i would run the following:

Front toe........parallel or slight toe out
Front camber.....1--1.2deg neg
no need to touch castor

Rear toe.......toe in 0.2 to 0.4mins
Rear camber.... around 0.4 deg neg

The reason shes twitchy is because your running nowhere near enough neg camber on the front, it doesnt say what your rear settings are but you want slight toe in on the rear to help with stability under braking.
Personally i dont think it will make a hoot of difference with size of wheel your running as you have 40 profile tyres (most 15'' rims run 50 or 55 profile so not a huge amount of difference and if they were set up with settings you have got at present you would still have the same issue

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

517" wheels camber & toe Empty Re: 17" wheels camber & toe 7th December 2017, 2:58 pm

mike74

mike74

Cheers Bob Smile

I don't have the sheet to hand but the rear is toeing out slightly. Its set to bang on the middle of the standard specs, IIRC +0°3' per side.
Rear camber is -0°30' on one side and slightly less on the other side.

Methinks I'll give them boys a shout and see if they'll adjust it for free, given it was their call to NOT put the camber I wanted on...twats!

617" wheels camber & toe Empty Re: 17" wheels camber & toe 4th January 2018, 8:50 pm

mike74

mike74

Well i got the old girl realigned today.
Its now got zero front toe with -1.1 degrees camber. Rear toe set to -0 degrees 3' with -1/2 degree camber.
The difference in driving it is really quite remarkable; no undue twitchiness when driving in a straight line and feels a lot more positive in the corners. Them setting up the alignment gear was free but had to pay just under £80 for labour so not too bad. Im just glad i can finally drive it without the fear of going 'off road' in it!
Special thanks goes out to Bob for sorting me out with a replacement rear arm the saturday before xmas. I wouldve contacted you sooner but thought you deserved some R n' R away from us motley crew! Very Happy

Cheers for now,
Mike

717" wheels camber & toe Empty Re: 17" wheels camber & toe 5th January 2018, 5:08 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Interesting if camber makes that much difference alone, I always found toe major factor on straight stability and amplified with low profile 17s . Nice to have it sorted, sometimes need a bad setup to appreciate a good one and learn something new too .

817" wheels camber & toe Empty Re: 17" wheels camber & toe 5th January 2018, 9:03 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Mike74 wrote:Special thanks goes out to Bob for sorting me out with a replacement rear arm the saturday before xmas. I wouldve contacted you sooner but thought you deserved some R n' R away from us motley crew

No problem Mike im always working even when i have a day off lol

Glad shes all sorted fella, those settings are pretty good but would be better with a little toe out on front, but to be fair every single car & driving style will differ slightly with settings so only ball park setup which i find works best all round

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

Sponsored content