Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Turbo smoking

+2
johnny gtir
typeritr
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Turbo smoking  Empty Turbo smoking 23rd July 2017, 9:55 pm

typeritr

typeritr

My turbo started smoking from the exhaust housing side. I swapped the turbo. Got the same result smoking from the exhaust housing side. Any ideas what it is? Everything else is running fine. The only thing I am thinking is the coolant hose may be blocked. Would that cause it to start smoking? I don't know! Anyway what else could it be?

2Turbo smoking  Empty Re: Turbo smoking 24th July 2017, 6:37 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

How much have you used the car since turbo swap did you flush the cooler after swap ? When is it smoking ?

3Turbo smoking  Empty Re: Turbo smoking 24th July 2017, 7:08 am

typeritr

typeritr

I have not used it much, I started it and let it idle until hot. Then it started smoking so I turned it off. Swapped the turbo back to the original turbo I just took off. And got the same result.
Cooler = coolant?
Yeah I took the radiator out before starting. I was thinking Disconnecting the top and bottom hose of the radiator and put a hose into the top part and turn it on. See if water comes out the bottom. That would that be a good idea?

4Turbo smoking  Empty Re: Turbo smoking 24th July 2017, 7:35 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Miles away ignor me exhaust side takes longer than you might think to burn the oil out the exhaust few drops can make more smoke than you think

5Turbo smoking  Empty Re: Turbo smoking 24th July 2017, 7:42 am

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

I bought an exhaust many years ago from a car that had blown it's turbo. .

Started It up let it idle and no smoke .. took it out for a drive and within 5 mins it was smoking like a trooper .

Gave it a 30 min blast and all was good

6Turbo smoking  Empty Re: Turbo smoking 24th July 2017, 12:16 pm

typeritr

typeritr

Ok well I had it well covered in wd40 as was going to remove the turbo elbow but then changed my mind. Also a small bit of thread sealent as I was using thread seal on the banjo bolts into the head. Ye think it could just be the stuff burning off the manifold?. Nothing else really?

7Turbo smoking  Empty Re: Turbo smoking 24th July 2017, 1:26 pm

mike74

mike74

its amazing how much smoke greasy hand prints can make on start up, although it normally only lasts a few minutes before it burns off.

8Turbo smoking  Empty Re: Turbo smoking 24th July 2017, 8:21 pm

typeritr

typeritr

So would people be confident this is just grease etc burning off the exhaust?
Or if not any other ideas what it might be? Just before I turn it on and leave it burning away!!

9Turbo smoking  Empty Re: Turbo smoking 24th July 2017, 8:28 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Check the oil drain from the turbo isn't blocked. Sounds like you haven't let it run long?

10Turbo smoking  Empty Re: Turbo smoking 24th July 2017, 8:37 pm

typeritr

typeritr

No just a few minutes until it heats up, then it starts smoking and I turn it off, in case something is wrong and don't want to do more damage.

Oil pressure is normal so that rules out a blockage I would have thought? but not a leak. I have spare lines if it comes to that.

11Turbo smoking  Empty Re: Turbo smoking 24th July 2017, 8:47 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

So is it visually smoking under the bonnet ... can you see where the smoke is coming from ... is one of you lines weeping ?

12Turbo smoking  Empty Re: Turbo smoking 24th July 2017, 8:50 pm

typeritr

typeritr

IT is visually smoking from the turbo elbow. I didn't spot any leak from the lines I had a look

13Turbo smoking  Empty Re: Turbo smoking 24th July 2017, 8:55 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Surely then if it's had new gaskets then it can't be much else other than residue burning off ???

14Turbo smoking  Empty Re: Turbo smoking 24th July 2017, 9:08 pm

typeritr

typeritr

ok cool, I have not taken the turbo elbow off to see inside but i know the wastegare is working. Even if there is a crack on the housing inside the elbow this wouldnt cause it to smoke, it would just be sent down the exhaust right?

I may just leave it burn off so. Just listen to it idling and watch the oil pressure and water tep gauges.

15Turbo smoking  Empty Re: Turbo smoking 25th July 2017, 7:55 am

mike74

mike74

AFAIK a crack on the wastegate wont do diddly as far as smoke goes as it gets sent down the turbo elbow anyway, as you've said. My money is on general dirt and oily finger prints getting burnt off when it gets hot. As long as you're keeping an eye on everything as it heats up I'm sure it'll be fine.
When I replaced my turbo recently I also painted the manifold and 3" elbow with high temperature paint. Between that curing and general dirt on the hot bits it fairly smoked on startup and gave me a bit of a fright!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum