Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Starter issues

+3
Keensie
Mr B
ducie54
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Starter issues Empty Starter issues 23rd July 2017, 7:29 pm

Keensie

Having intermittent starting thought it was the starter motor so had a full refurbishment done and no difference,the solenoid clicks but won't turn over then it will be fine for 5 or 6 start ups.I can feel the relay inside the car click when it won't start is there another?all earth terminal are tight and clean battery is good so I'm now stuck any ideas would be grateful.

2Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 23rd July 2017, 7:40 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Not a very good refurb probably the issue, the soleniod linkages and bendix wear and former tends create your issue (tapping starter with something normally helps)
Trouble is most refurbs don't include these parts or get overlooked thus original issue pretty much still present .
Do triple check wiring visually and with multimeter drop test and solenoid signal before doing anything with starter just to be sure .

3Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 23rd July 2017, 8:05 pm

Keensie

Is this easy to check with meter?I've been over all connections several times was going to take starter back out,how's the solenoid check done?

4Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 23rd July 2017, 9:04 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

What I mentioned on solenoid is simply checking 12v solenoid signal present when key in cranking, sounds as will be as you say can here a solenoid click/clunk . Voltage drop test good idea on starter cables. Heres a link that may help
I'm 99% sure you'll find it worn sticky linkages/yoke between solenoid and starter as that what I normally find on 90% of starters with your symptoms.

5Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 24th July 2017, 9:17 am

Keensie

Bench tested the starter over 20 times with no issues so it's back in the car.the relay for fuel pump is that also for the starter?

6Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 24th July 2017, 10:54 am

ducie54

ducie54

Make sure you have a large earth cable from body to the gearbox. Not just the little cable.

7Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 24th July 2017, 12:54 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Indeed worth triple checking cables, few people had earth strap issues. easy make/fit another or do tempory test with jump lead as extra earth.
Most ones I done with no wiring issues and intermittent no crank been internal linkage selector yoke worn/sticky. Some of those tested fine on bench as movement from removal plus sitting on bench maybe different orientation which benefits linkage movement . Always good conclude cables good first as get expensive messing with starter assembly if it not the fault .

8Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 24th July 2017, 4:53 pm

Keensie

Yes I'm thinking now it's starter,battery shows 12.4v and when cranking over drops to 11.7v even if the solenoid just clicks and I hold the key in start position it's showing 11.7v drop.So to me this shows power is going to the starter.

9Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 24th July 2017, 9:52 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Would putting a earth from battery to the block give a good earth?
A jump lead would be okay to use to see if there's an earthing issue?
Have you still got your earth cable from thermostat housing the the body of the car by battery tray in engine bay?

10Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 25th July 2017, 5:24 am

Keensie

Yes all earth straps are there I tried using a jump lead,one last thing to try is disconnect the trigger wire and run a live from battery.

11Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 31st July 2017, 2:56 pm

Keensie

So with ignition on and direct live from battery to solenoid it will crank over with no problems,would this mean ignition relay playing up?

12Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 31st July 2017, 5:29 pm

ducie54

ducie54

Blown fuse

13Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 3rd August 2017, 2:41 pm

Keensie

Finally sorted had a friend look at it,I would of put money on it being the clifford so he bypassed that in a matter of seconds which made no difference,turns out the only earth strap I didn't clean was the problem which goes to show if you leave your car sitting in a garage not being used they don't like it.

14Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 3rd August 2017, 6:07 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

At least it's sorted and was nothing major in the end thumbsup

15Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 3rd August 2017, 6:23 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Keensie wrote:Finally sorted had a friend look at it,I would of put money on it being the clifford so he bypassed that in a matter of seconds which made no difference,turns out the only earth strap I didn't clean was the problem which goes to show if you leave your car sitting in a garage not being used they don't like it.

Could not agree more and a garage is better than outside but misleading to think it's in a garage it will be fine when brought out

16Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 4th August 2017, 12:21 pm

Keensie

Would like to change the clamps on battery leads too can't be that hard to do.

17Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 4th August 2017, 10:47 pm

Andy Sunny Gti

Andy Sunny Gti

Is this Keensie from 2004 days grey or red R? Dammmmm

18Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 5th August 2017, 4:56 am

Keensie

I've had the R since 2001 so yep I guess so.

19Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 5th August 2017, 5:32 am

Andy Sunny Gti

Andy Sunny Gti

Cool all these old skool owners still about.
Nice good to see you are still going strong.
Guessing a few years or the car being stored away, then the hunger is back to get things moving.

2.3 stroker?

P.s sorry for going off topic

20Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 5th August 2017, 7:07 am

Keensie

No stroker that went tits up!where do you know me from sorry I'm not very good with names.

21Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 5th August 2017, 12:17 pm

Andy Sunny Gti

Andy Sunny Gti

Haha, from the old skool gtiroc and Nissan modifiers club days.

22Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 8th August 2017, 2:45 pm

Keensie

Couple of earth straps replaced so all good and just taxed for 6mths all it needs to do now is stop rainning. Twisted Evil

23Starter issues Empty Re: Starter issues 9th August 2017, 3:34 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Keensie wrote:Couple of  earth straps replaced so  all good and just taxed for 6mths all it needs to do now is stop rainning. Twisted Evil
It won't shrink in the rain you know lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum