Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Transfer Case Questions

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Transfer Case Questions Empty Transfer Case Questions 10th July 2017, 1:46 pm

alphadrex

alphadrex

*Note: This is a duplicate of a post I left on the GTIROC forum. I'm posting here as well in case some of you are not members of that forum*

Hey Folks,
So, I'm in the middle of a clutch job here, was on the reinstall, and found that my transfer case was leaking between the intermediate plate and main housing. I couldn't leave it leaking, so I split it and resealed it. This is where my questions come in for you gurus out there.
When I split the box, the ring gear & shaft came out attached to the plate. Counter shaft stayed put, but I didn't mark the gears on removal. I noticed on reassembly that the gears/shaft seem to have marks on them. Is the countershaft timed to the ring gear/shaft?
Secondly, on reassembly, I was very careful to ensure all shims were reinstalled, but the box appears to have been sealed with rtv sealant. Wouldn't using a sealant such as that make proper shimming impossible as there is no way to gauge/ensure consistant thickness of gasket between intermediate plate and main case? (Also, would not the same situation apply to the front diff. housing?)
Lastly, if all I am doing is resealing the intermediate plate and case, and reinstalling the front diff./housing, are there any checks/measurements to perform before returing to use?

I hope that was as clear as possible, please advise. Thanks all.

alphadrex

2Transfer Case Questions Empty Re: Transfer Case Questions 10th July 2017, 2:13 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

None of the gearbox gears are timed, marks are probably from the manufacturing process.
RTV sealent reduces to ~zero thickness once clamped so would have no effect on the shimming operation.
Hope this helps
Also don't forget to put a bead of sealant around the outer diff seal flange surface to prevent tranny/gearbox oil mixing/leaking. It's says this in the manual but easily overlooked.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum