Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Speedo cluster removal !

+5
splmum
gtir_woody
shroom
johnny gtir
Cosmic73
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Speedo cluster removal ! 20th March 2017, 7:28 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Ive eventually plucked up the courage to remove the speedo.
I hate removing trim, its just a pain and this is turning out to be no different.
Ive removed the screws holding the binicle and its 90% loose except for the bottom left corner (oil pressure gage location).
Its just not giving and im scared of giving it any more grunt in case i snap it.
Is there a hidden screw there?

2Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 20th March 2017, 7:40 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

You removed the part with the hazard switch etc in ?

3Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 20th March 2017, 8:05 pm

shroom

shroom

Your not clocking it already are you? dodgy bastard Laughing

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

4Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 20th March 2017, 8:10 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

There was 2 hidden screws!
Had to remove the ash tray to loosen the hazard switch surround enough to pull it out to access the 2 hidden screws.
All removed now, thanks chaps  Very Happy

5Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 20th March 2017, 8:12 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Yep as you say. What's going on in dash area ?

6Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 20th March 2017, 9:01 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

The speedo only works intermittently and theres rattle coming from inside the dash.
My plan is to drive it tomorrow without the speedo surround to see if i can identify the source of the rattle. Ive spotted a missing screw so i reckon that could be it.
Next ill remove the speedo and check for loose wires etc.

7Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 20th March 2017, 10:59 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Speedo only working intermittently is a common annoying problem with these cars. I used to bash the dash and it would get moving again.

8Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 21st March 2017, 6:40 am

splmum

splmum

There is a diode in the PCB of the speedo and that usually blows, get an instrument fitter to repair it and it will be 100%

9Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 21st March 2017, 9:07 am

johnboy

johnboy

Most times I've had trouble it's been a badly fitted mph converter/delimiter.

10Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 22nd March 2017, 7:01 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Went to start the R this morning and nothing, zip, battery totally dead! pale
I couldnt work out why, all i did was remove a bit of trim.
Got it charged and while i drove to work i realised i had switched on the interior light while i was removing the trim and forgot to turn it off Embarassed

Anyway, the rattle is definitley coming from the inside the speedo itself.
Anyone got a spare they want can sell? Question

11Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 22nd March 2017, 7:24 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

If you get stuck or even after you get a spare I can take a look at that one and if I fix it you can reinstall it. What mileage you need on ?

12Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 22nd March 2017, 10:41 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Cheers Johnny, i might just take you up on that,
its a newly rebuilt engine so probably only done 5000 miles since so that would be good to have on.

13Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 26th March 2017, 10:20 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

So, I've removed the speedometer and there don't seem to be any loose wires. There's 3 connection which don't mean much to me. The circuits don't look fried either.
I've attached some pics below. Is there anything out the ordinary with this wiring?
Speedo cluster removal ! Img_2011
Speedo cluster removal ! Img_2015
Speedo cluster removal ! Img_2013
Speedo cluster removal ! Img_2010
Speedo cluster removal ! Img_2014
Speedo cluster removal ! Img_2012

14Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 26th March 2017, 1:50 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

First thing I would do is check pulse signal from the speed sensor, you can do this with cheap consult cable by seeing if ecu getting speed signal, an osciloscope or an led on the signal wires which should be seen blinking if signal present . with led you can could check right at clock harness and totally pin it down to clock assembly if all other powers earths seem good, wiring does look bit mucky with scotch block connectors, thoses things are nothing but a ticking problem from moment installed .
Clock board is quite common but so is shabby wiring so really want be pretty sure signal getting to clocks, take it no other fault with dash clock consul beside speedo ? .

15Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 26th March 2017, 2:33 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Chees Mr B but thats sounds too difficult for me. Is this the kind thing any competent auto electrician should have and be able to do? Very Happy

16Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 26th March 2017, 7:08 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

A competent one yes, all really want them do is test signal at plug to clocks, if signal going to them then getting clock board checked would be next step which if chosen auto electrician not into then going need find someone local or mail order who refurbs them.
Other option is club member local for clock swap test or giving it a go with asimple led which not that hard if pull up the wiring diagram and google research a bit, would do bit of guide but I got a flight in 3 hrs so low on time .

17Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 26th March 2017, 8:11 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I would 100% swap the cluster with a known working one. Just temp fit it try it. If then it dose not work try the rest above

18Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 26th March 2017, 8:46 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Its getting my hands on a known working one thats the hard bit.
Bob has none, None on Ebay, none on facebook Sad

19Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 26th March 2017, 9:09 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

You have pm mate

20Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 26th March 2017, 9:31 pm

shroom

shroom

If your coming to japfest I have one that I need to swap into mine you could borrow would need to have it back at some point as my rev counter doesnt work but im on no rush to swap it tbh. Or take mr horders offer whichever is easiest he probably has 12 sitting under his bed.

21Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 28th March 2017, 5:37 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Cheers Shroom, Very Happy
Ricky lives local so ill ask him first.

I needed to know if it needed fuel so plugged it back in. Now nothing works.
I'm hoping its just a blown fuse... pale

22Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 28th March 2017, 5:40 pm

shroom

shroom

Oh no not 25 year old wiring lol good luck

23Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 28th March 2017, 7:29 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Twisted blues or was the de limiter earthed on metal behind if so might be why

24Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 29th March 2017, 8:12 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I'm pretty sure I have one Bob sent me that I no longer need, just pay for postage and its yours mate.

25Speedo cluster removal ! Empty Re: Speedo cluster removal ! 29th March 2017, 8:14 am

mike74

mike74

Personally I would have a good go at tidying up some of that wiring before going too in depth. I've never been a fan of scotchblocks and would ditch them first and see if anything changes.
Also, how did you wire the delimiter chip in? When I did mine a couple of months ago I used two of the cluster of four screws to the right for power and earth points (see attachment).

Hopefully its something simple rather than a clock change Smile
Attachments
Speedo cluster removal ! AttachmentSPEEDODELIMIT.pdf
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(255 Kb) Downloaded 8 times

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum