Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New to forum and have sunny gs wohey lol

+4
gtir_woody
johnny gtir
nomad
Vince Beardsworth
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New to forum and have sunny gs wohey lol Empty New to forum and have sunny gs wohey lol 13th March 2017, 11:06 am

Vince Beardsworth

Hi all, I'm new to forums in general but figured best to get help off people that know what there talking about lol I have a Nissan sunny gs and basically I'm a novice I like to do things myself but need advice on what coilovers are best for my car and it has a different type carb can I replace this with something like dell ortos I think they're called . Anyway any help and advice appreciated ... V

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Welcome to the forum vince .... plenty of people with good knowledge so im sure we can help you along the way ....

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Is it a b11 ???

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Welcome aboard

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Welcome to the forum, doing it yourself is the best way and more rewarding Smile plently of knowledge to help you out Smile

ADSgtir

Hello, There must be a backstory to this car! did you win it in a raffle? -lol , everybody was a novice once ,and we learn by our mistakes ,so fair play to you
Ive played the carby game and its an old school thing seldom done nowadays save on "classic" cars , nowadays its more mapping , injectors and a laptop or just fit an engine from another type of car .
I expect it is a downdraught carb , replaced with another model?
It is a difficult thing to swap out carb / carbs , it always has been ,especially if trying to tune for more power , each carb was matched to its engine and jetted to suit , often new or modified manifolds were needed ,ignition advance had to be changed and a whole lot of other tests and alterations .Not cheap or easy.
I would guess most garages would give you "THE LOOK " the moment you mentioned carburettor and spend the next hour trying to plug in to an OBD port that wont exist -lol
I think first the back story , lets hope that it isnt the world worst barn find -lol, I think Im a candidate for that ....

Vince Beardsworth

Lol thanks for all the replies guys it's an n13 or n14 it's - 1990 model which on Is on the border the them two models, bit of back story it's been garaged for years and was my grandparents car it's now be handed down to me and like to restore it keep it in family and keep it standard and just give it some nice poke

ADSgtir

ok - We are not talking about a heirloom handed down ,like a classic Bentley , its technically a "shed" ,and B.E.R , Beyond Economic Repair ,worth close to zero .
From here on every pound you spend will never be recovered .
Do you have somewhere to park it and work on it ? do you have tools and equipment available ? is the carb the only issue ? or are the brakes /battery/etc knackered ,when was the last MOT
A haynes manual would be a good start ,and a trip to your local library to get some automotive books .
Trust me stripping carbs in the kitchen and using the washing up bowl , seldom gets a good response from the old dear, as does a car in bits on the front drive for ever .
Its more about being organised rather than difficult to restore cars and always a cost issue

Andy Sunny Gti

Andy Sunny Gti

Something like this I'm guessing?
New to forum and have sunny gs wohey lol Image13

Andy Sunny Gti

Andy Sunny Gti

You can do various engine swaps. Ca18, sr16, sr20, sr20det. Wheels and brakes can use n14 items. Not sure about suspension though.

Vince Beardsworth

Is is like that but the saloon version and granted it's not a Bentley but it has sentimental value hence the questions lol thanks for the replies though people it's all helping i been looking at coilovers for n14 as I'm guessing they might fit if I'm honest I'm not really sure how to check measurements if that's such a thing!! before I buy and it has the same carb on as the photo is that any good would any of you replace it or take it to someone to get dyno?? I just want it running smooth and maybe a little bit of an increase in speed if possible

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

Give it a good service. Oil and Oil filter. Spark plugs. Dizzy cap and rotor arm. Ht leads. Fuel filter. Air filter.
And you will find that will make it run alot better and gain a few more mph.
I would give the carb a spray with carb cleaner.
Drain the old petrol and fill with new.

ADSgtir

If it was an old dog ,and the vet said "That would be £5000 sir" you would put it down , not start feeding it prime ribeye -lol
Yeah you can go coilovers , but if its running on 12 year old ting tong tyres ,with worn ball joints ,bushes ,steering rack et al ,is it worth it .
I am trying to put you on a righteous path here , having been down the shed route so many times ,just get a younger dog , preferably a pedigree not a mongrel .
One day you could end up in Crufts , with a best in breed .
Times are hard and getting harder , there are thousands of cracking old cars out there at bargain prices

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

It a n13, I have one in 4 door hatchback . I would leave carb as is as they very good units and work well including the auto choke .
Coilovers would be waste of time, best option would be some new KYB dampers and top mounts all round and get someone like springcoil make new springs slightly firmer using old ones as base pattern.
Parts are super cheap so cost very little rebuild likes of front wishbones with new bushes and balljoint, brakes are cheap too . Best thing is having it running sweet and looking tidy and add some late 80's style nissan alloys and just enjoy it for what it is. Mine been faultless besides a starter and rear elec window needing repair, They go on forever and hitachi carbs seem almost immortal .

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

The old n13 are great cars, they run forever, still see some chugging away on the roads.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum