Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky .

+10
GTI-R US
gtir_woody
Cosmic73
johnny gtir
warringtonjack
ROB_IOW
DRC
Andy Sunny Gti
burrows1980
Stu
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

DRC

DRC

gtir_woody wrote:Bob will sort you out Smile

What did you use to take those photos? they came up looking really good quality Smile
I'm sure he will mate. Taken with a iphone6 nothing special done to them other than the standard editing software.
I have been using the car so lots of round town driving over the last few weeks and the local village shell garage know me by name now I have been back so much.

DRC

DRC

So I am in Southend on sea in a premier inn after a long day of fettling and tweeking with bob and lee the car is strapped down waiting for more ! (full review coming......... ) tomorrow should bring so interesting results !

DRC

DRC

Oh forgot to add ! Blackadder and a good red wine is essential on any adventure!

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Good luck

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

excited to see the results mate

DRC

DRC

Just home after 36hr away in south end. These cars are a labour of love ....... time , money , stress, marital disharmony noise and general frustration ...to tired to explain what happened but watch this space. Night good fellows

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Oh really! hope nothing serious mate

DRC

DRC

Well it was and here's what happened.

SO my time at Torque of the South.

Spoke with Bob late on Thursday the 10th to confirm about coming down to continue mapping my R .   now there was a issue with the dyno that was not yet fixed but he was hoping to have someone look at it in the morning, so if it was not fixed  the we could maybe do a road tune to get her running better as it really was very poor to drive and was only good at crusing on at low load and low revs.
So it was agreed that I was to come to Bobs in the morning and we would see how things would pan out.

So the drive down was steady and uneventful. first on the list was to give Lee and Bob some booze for all the hard work hey put in last time . if you read back……………….

Now the dyno has been out of play for a few weeks and the aftersales service from what I am told is  poor and that is being modest . Bob finally got the chap to sort the issue remotely and after a few quick tests on a car that was stuck on there all seemed good! ( faulty usb to dvi lead) anyway. This soon picked up the afternoon. it looks like we are going to be tuning the car tonight.!

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 4 CEEB7191-BCDC-4DAB-AB2E-6DE4A0202888_zpslz8txq0f

So the checks on my car started . oil changed and all good. 10w/50 fully synthetic.
Plugs cleaned and gapped . home brew adjustable fuel pressure regulator ditched in favour of a stock number. We then removed the dizzy cap only to find that the centre electrod had been ground to a powder and the rotter arm had arced / and worn the insides of the cap to nothing. !

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 4 AD31DD44-4623-4287-99EA-61B42F408CAA_zpsh4biqxro

This would account for my miss fire problem. I felt like a right t**t for not picking this up ( credit to lee for finding it)  oh well. then on with tightening the boost hoses down . compression looked ok and stable if not a little lower than ideal but everything was in the green.

So strapped her down and Bob began to look at the setting on the Power FC Pro .  We noticed that the injector map had been royally messed around with and all Bobs past settings had been levelled off and the entire map was very green and very very rich. Now I can say it was not me as I have no idea how to do this and it was not Bob. Anyway I am not pointing the finger and we just had to get on with it but this meant the injector map needed redoing from scratch.!!!

So from 1300 to 2000 ish bob was in the hot seat tweaking the numbers and doing little runs. We had hit the clock and Bob had to go leaving me in a predicament .  Option A untether the car and go home ( the mapp was not really usable) or option B stay over in a hotel. So you guessed which I went for. Much to the disapproval of the good lady.  So bob ran me to a hotel in his GTR ! A very nice car  with very smooth delivery .
 Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 4 764970C1-9627-4B59-9F4E-B4727E91C9C2_zpsxihv6uoz

Premier inn a good red and lots of Blackadder I was out .

Next day. Bob picks me up  and over to the workshop . Lee greets us with a brew and has everything set so we can just jump in.
so.
The hours pass by .
The fuel goes down the the bum gets numb the the questions are asked the maps are starting to form. The runs are starting to happen. ! The drama starts as the sun goes down and we are into the evening. Now I will have to point out that Bob is incredibly patient and was very very detailed with every area of this map.

So a few base runs and numerous tweaks at about 0.95 bar now he has the car close to how we want it so we can turn up the boost . Not that it's really key! At this level the power delivery is smooth, snappy and the response is amazing. It picked up boost well and held stable until the end. Which was set at 7200RPM
 Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 4 30A268BE-FF2C-4881-8B81-35DCC4D268CF_zpsbpzjoxuw

So figures  : i cant rember the torque but it was 366bhp @ 1 bar and this was waste gate pressure. Now after messing with the gain we got the power to come in strong and a lot earlier  So happy result. So more messing with the map and the time is now 16hr or so that have gone to the mapping alone . Next add some boost.

So the aim is for the max safe boost , we started to hit issues when we reached 1.5 bar so after a bit of thinking we changed the plugs and brought the gap down to 0.6mm as we think we had spark blow out. . this did fix the issue and we were back on. So time to turn up 1.55 1.6 and all is ok and stable . a few more tweeksa to the map.
1.65 and my heart is starting to go. Then a run to 1.75 and my god the stress horrible. a last run with a bit more gain added and Christ it hit boost so fast. 1.75 BAR and held the level all the way to the end. And our safe figure was 475 bhp and 394 lb/ft . now at this point I was more than happy and after bob spending 18 plus hours mapping this thing I was over the moon and happy to call it a day. we only blew one hose off over the day and that was when we spiked at 1.85bar. so we double clamped it!

So I am one very happy and proud R owner. The car is amazing. We did a dyno drive and it was so nice and smooth. Now bob said " as its your car Dan I won’t start to push it " but Bob was curious to see what we could get if we pushed on and I am also interested to see what we can get but this is plenty for now . I want a safe car that I can use to drive to Scotland and then race on a track if I choose. I want to retain some reliability so who knows what we could have pushed.

So after a thank you and good night I had the joy of driving her back to Leicester at 10PM and there was nothing on the motorway. When I hit the m1 and I knew I was nearing home I started to play with my own boost setting and finally settled for 1.3 bar and this was it .

It shifts! That s all I can say. I am yet to drive it at 1.75 and if the truth be know I need to build my confidence with that level of power. Here is a video towards the end
 Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 4 Th_57C50BB7-4AC2-4BD4-870B-8CEBDA6FA4A4_zpsjzxwtzak

I can say I am very please with the outcome Bob you have truly excelled this time and I cant thank you enough for how you have transformed this car!
It runs like a dream !

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 4 D067C717-FFD5-4E2A-AD14-22AC1C097307_zpsskcru1fc

Next jobs. Find some good street shocks as mine are shagged and also fit the new dash.

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

That is truly awesome mate! Loved the vid, played it loads of times. Your R sounds so sweet.
Also a big nod to Bob, again for going above and beyond the call duty, he really put the hours into this one.
The only thing to add is upping the boost to achieve 475 might be pushing the limits of a lot of components so thats your decision and responsibilty, not Bobs if something happens in the future.
I would gradually build up the miles at the higher boost to help run in the parts at their higher stresses.
But no risk, no fun. Very Happy Very Happy

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Nice video ... she certainly does have a bite on the last few seconds of the video .... Wink

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Great figures and great to hear. Bob dose a great job

DRC

DRC

Cheers chaps . I am very happy with her now.
Yes I fully get that it I break it in anyway under any load I am fully responsible . I think I meant that 475 BHP is safer than maxing everything out to reach 575. As I set it to 1.3 bar that is more than fast enough. 1bar for day to day driving . As this will be my daily I will be treating her very well.

I'm always open to recommendations so what supporting modifications would people do next?

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Cheers for the good feedback Dan Smile  and I'm pleased she all ran well on your journey back.
As you said......we had a few issues that needed sorting prior to getting the car on the dyno including the dyno itself so in actual fact it was gone 6 before we had her on the dyno and started looking at the map (which had changed hugely since the last time and not for the good lol) but we both have an idea what had happened there  :suspect but just had to crack on and rewrite a new map which I can't do a half job on even though it takes a long time to do a proper tailored scaled map but as you can see the way the car drives & a accelerates from any load makes it all worth the wait.

When we road tested the car at the end in the wet the look on your face when I put my foot down is what makes my job all worth while, the thing pulls so hard from even a low rpm and that's something you don't often get with the old style 3076 so I'm chuffed with what we've achieved and more importantly that your happy with the way she now performs.

For the record I reckon that the car would have made anywhere between 500-550bhp if I had pushed for more ignition and boost, but get used to what you've got first as the car will be a beast when you summon the courage to drive her at the 1.7bar she's currently mapped to.

Only things I can think of that I would deffo fit are as follows:

1. Wideband kit to monitor afrs (essential at this power level and cheap to buy now)
2. Heat wrap for pipe from hot side of ic
3. Better suspension as fronts feel like they have seen far better days lol

Other than that the car is very good so just go out and enjoy the new found power    thumbsup

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Great news and glad you got a good result, I was thinking something went wrong from your last post lol. Bob is the man and goes beyond to help people out thumbsup

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Big rep point for you there Bob Very Happy

DRC

DRC

Thanks Bob , I am so happy with the way it drives she pulls like a train !
You did a great job
When I am happy and confident with her and the power delivery I will come down and we can see if we can push more from it.
As you mentioned the pipes are being lagged this week and I am looking for a new set of good shocks.
Wideband will also be on the list . Please feel free to recommend a good one.
Cheers

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Good to here it moving in right direction and misfire was easy fix thumbsup
I wouldn't go crazy chasing power but perhaps a further tweak in future to get over 500hp wouldn't hurt, ignition may need reviewing if upping boost much more .
Indeed worth putting some effort & money in suspension as an area that can make massive difference, be sensible with it if mainly road use. Have fun and enjoy it .

DRC

DRC

Thanks Mr B . I find everything gtir very consuming . it is great to read and research all the different options and opinions and see what other folk are doing . There are some very interesting reads on this forum and some talented enthusiasts . I now see how chasing numbers can be addictive but I will turn my attentions to adding better suspension Shocks , looking for a wideband that has a square small display and mainly enjoy driving the car .

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322318592886

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Or if your feeling really flush and want more monitering of other things
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122225961752
They are the only 2 square displays i could find most are round displays

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Cheers for the feedback guys

Heres another ramp run of the car towards end of the mapping
Il dig out the dyno sheet at 475bhp for you Dan, thought i had printed it but wrong one lol

https://youtu.be/cx9sWpg7XGE

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

DRC

DRC

Hi nomad, the first one you linked is perfect! One for the xmas list. 

I have had a afternoon out on the road and my confidence is building quickly. I have a question for the technical guys. 
When the car is under load on boost above 0.8 bar and in a high gear , then I let off the gas the wastegate spring flutters / bounces and the car shudders violently.it feels like it can't dump the air out fast enough . I hope this makes sense. 
I adjusted the bov to its max opening level( HKS ssqv) and this seems to have helped.
I wondered if anyone here had the same problem .
The only way to stop this is to put the clutch in and let the boost drop.

The turbo has the anti surge inlet housing. The boost controller is a gizmo number. The base waste gate pressure is 0.95 bar.

Will reducing the wastegate spring and upping the duty help? 
Changing the bov for something better? 

It's only minor but I want to sort it out. 

Is it that the bov can't get the air out fast enough ? Mr b your thoughts would be muchly appreciated .

After driving around and getting to max boost more frequently and getting use to the delivery I hate to say but ............ I want more . I think this will end badly . 
Maybe I should just buy a fast car. But there is no fun in that.

Bob can we book in another session in the new year.

Last edited by DRC on 16th November 2016, 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

mine does something a little bit similar under aggressive driving.
Might be just a fact of life if your pushing big boost.

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

judder is not something you should have live with but something that needs adjustment .
Noise you here is probably purely compressor blade surge I expect. If you holding & building boost easily then wastegate probably okay.
design of pipe runs and size of bov can help cut lift off surge by releasing large volumes of air with minimal restriction. Worn throttle-bodies or badly set throttle plates on the quads can cause issues as leak air as surge causes pressure pulses which gives a result bit like you lifting on off the throttle rapidly (other inlet piping/valve etc needs double checking as even simple small leak can cause it}
Seems tweaking bov seems helping you could look at bov vacuum signal source and location of bov on inlet pipe itself, also a bigger fast acting better flowing valve perhaps.
seems you running a standard exhaust manifold, throttles and ignition I wouldn't go mad chasing numbers, you best fine tuning and working out the flaws so everything perfect, If you get a little over 500hp easily great but concentrate on the minor glitches and weak areas of the car and move on slowly enjoying it and with less chance of big expensive problems .

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

GTI-R US wrote:Cheers for the feedback guys

Heres another ramp run of the car towards end of the mapping
Il dig out the dyno sheet at 475bhp for you Dan, thought i had printed it but wrong one lol

https://youtu.be/cx9sWpg7XGE

Sounds awesome, love when it comes on hard towards the end of the vid cum

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum