Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky .

+10
GTI-R US
gtir_woody
Cosmic73
johnny gtir
warringtonjack
ROB_IOW
DRC
Andy Sunny Gti
burrows1980
Stu
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

shroom

shroom

Ah I wondered who you got it off all makes sense now! Nice car you got there!

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

DRC

DRC

Right early start tomorrow as I am off to South-End-On-Sea, Fingers crossed Bob can get some good figures and help her run to her potential.
Also sorted out the interior finishing the stereo set up and putting everything into order.

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Looking forward to hearing how it goes Smile

DRC

DRC

Before I start I apologise for the poor use of my English ! It's not my strong point.

So it was a 0530 on Wednesday the 20th  and I wanted an early start so I could get to Bob's in good time. I got on to the M1 and the charging system dropped there was no charge getting to the battery . I lost all interior instrumentation and had to abort and head home. Thinking I hope it's just a loose wire. 

Well it was not a loose wire ! And not wanting to let the day go I was not going to be defeated . Fortunately  being given another alternator by the seller along with the last of his R bits I decided to swap it out , at 0600!!!!! 
The alternator had to come out of the top as the front exit exhaust limits access plus it was hot! So after 1hr or so I manged to swap it all out. Moment of truth and it worked . The system was charging and better than it was before! 14.4 vs 13.5v.
So back on with the trip to Bob's .
A smooth run and I arrived@ about 1100. I met Bob and Lee and and we started chatting ............ This went on for a while. Anyway we went for a spin and I don't think Bob was that impressed with the run. ( in all honesty I did not know how to use the boost controller at this time) .

So we got back to the shop car and Bob ,Lee and myself started looking over the car in great detail.

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 5423F69E-EB51-42F9-8731-09899EB6DBE3_zpsacvjynmu

Here is a small list of jobs done. 
Modified the breather system to work correctly . 
Check the engine out to make sure it's ok for a rolling road session.We found the plugs had been running lean. But everything else was ok . Compression was low but with it having a 2mm gasket this felt OK . We could not verify the camshafts so this is a job for me to undertake soon.
We checked that the gearbox with the camera and it is in fact a quaife

DRC

DRC

Wired up the oil temp sender.

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 BB82DF4F-4224-49C3-B756-BB0586E53044_zpsovp4diht

Removed the locking wheel nuts as I had no key and swapped them front to rear. 
There was concern expressed about the size of the intercooler and 3" pipe work and also the size of the turbo inlet as the car does not come on boost until high up in the rev range.

So it was just a matter of time until I got the chance to look over the aladins cave of gtir parts! 

This was amazing , I really felt like a kid in a sweet shop! So I picked up all the bits I needed at a very reasonable price! During the day we spent long periods talking and I was truley taken back by Bob's level of knowledge on the gtir and Nissans in general. So Lee started to fit my parts and give the man credit all day he was working on my car and if I had any issues or questions Lee just did what was asked. Thank you for your hard work by the way. 
So Bob asked if I had to get back to Leicester to which I said no I'm here for as long as it takes . So Bob said it will be a long night! 

So we got on the dyno at about 1830
After a TT Had failed to be mapped as it was to smokey and had no oil!

DRC

DRC

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 7BC4A64C-7E53-4074-9C7F-7D8F651E4D93_zpsk6gdkn69

And so the fun started . 

We got a nice suprise to find that the power fc was a pro version! But unfotunaly Bob had to do a full map as he did not have a pro set on his laptop. So this took some time. But I found all this so interesting as Bob was explaing everything he was doing . 

There was many expletive comments made about how poor the existing map on the ecu was! And genuinely Bob said he was very supprised the engine had not melted as it was running dangerously lean. ( no wonder I got 140 miles on under half a tank!) 
The last owner did mention that he had problems dealing with " Indigo GT " . My guess is the mapper just had little experience . 

Anyway 

Now it was my job to work out how to plumb in the gizzmo boost controller in correctly  (another indigo gt failure) and figure out how to set it up. So we started doing some basic runs this also went on for some time..........hours 

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 FF9EA33C-50B1-4517-8796-1262DAFB8E76_zpsq0k0jfbo

DRC

DRC

Now I noticed time was getting on and after many runs  we got to a good safe map and boost level and Bob was happy at its state also I think both myself and Bob were exhausted as it had been a long day.

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 AB9F9DF4-92C6-4E64-A354-B486921DBB4A_zps2muriycf

So about 4/5 hrs on the dyno with 8 plus long power /boost runs the engine never even got close to hot and stayed well within normal operating temperatures .Thanks to the oil cooler and large ally rad! 

So figures : well here is one of the power runs I caught on camera

https://s1377.photobucket.com/user/Collard80/media/Mobile%20Uploads/EBCC2F87-E61C-4AB0-AE10-98D7D4441BD7_zpsyznmikum.mp4.html

The end result is : its tuned to a safe and smooth 460bhp @1.35bar but we had runs up to 493bhp at 1.45bar  

Now there is scope to push the boost more but it was very later and I had a 2.5hr drive ahead of me and had to be back and up for 630AM . So it was called at about 0215AM . 

After filling up with the stuff the  drive back was steady and safe as I was beyond tired ! But Christ how the remap had improved the response and driveability of the car! I was amazed at how user friendly it was . I had set the boost level to 0.5 /1 and1.35 bar . I flicked it from 0.5 to 1bar and opened it up on the M1 and Jesus the thing just flew I felt the adrenaline kick ! I have still not tried the 1.35 setting yet as I'm waiting for that time when mr M3 looks down over his Armani shades  at me with a smirk and ............Say no more.

DRC

DRC

So I am over the moon with the car now and feel I have a car I can invest lots of time and effort into. Bob has set me a list of bits to get then we are going for another mapping session where we will be climbing for the high 500s ( Bob seems to think this is an achievable goal) 

And about Bob . Such a trusting and kind chap who went above and beyond  , you gave me the impression of a genuine enthusiast who like me is passionate about cars. For any one who was interested the cost of the day ,it Felt very fair ! Dare I say cheap?!? for all the time on the dyno and the mega list of jobs and bits completed.(thank you) 
I would have paid 3 times as much if I had gone elsewhere ! and hat would have been just for the dyno time. 

Bob's set up Torque of the south is well worth the journey and I'm sure you will be met with just as much warmth as I was and nothing I asked for was ever to much ! its a one stop shop for all your gtir needs . 

I can't wait to get the bits I need and see what comes next.

I am one very happy GTIR owner.

Last pic is of the bay after the yesterday's abuse.

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 EB5859C3-1919-4B27-886F-6EDCD50A0FA8_zpsxpivtjok

More to follow. 
And sorry these posts are broken up as it would not let me post it as one.

Dan

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Great news, glad it all went well with no major hiccups. Bob is the man to get it running well Smile

warringtonjack

I built that setup for 500bhp, but it sounds like you'll exceed that target relatively easily! Bob was always a great source of info and parts when I was building it, and I'm glad you decided to use his services to get the best out of the car.

Andy Sunny Gti

Andy Sunny Gti

Great review there...

DRC

DRC

Well today I spent a few hours on the car fitting some rear springs . But after fitting I'm unsure if there is any difference in hight . What do you think.

Before

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 EA89CECB-3CB6-4F36-9DF2-5B8859E078DE_zpsosnw9xk0
After

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 43749F72-1DA1-4D54-9A1E-A7A864273850_zpsrpbkz1hc

I also had an exhaust noise reduction butterfly valve thing . It really works well taking out the drone from the exhaust note making it sound like a stock micra with a hole in the back box. So happy happy.

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 A32D6A6E-CF10-4C2B-A748-2A16D81867CA_zpscw3sk4tn

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Ideal on exhaust  and no on suspension. Hard to tell from pictures is the front lowered ?

DRC

DRC

Yes it is . I am told its a 25/30mm on the front sat on kyb street shocks . I want this level of drop at the rear . Yes the exhaust works well so far so good.
The car is boosting to 1.2 bar safely as the boost controller is maxed out at this level so I have ordered a 12psi spring to help in future developments.

Last edited by DRC on 30th July 2016, 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Set of bc's will finish it off fully adjustable height and ride

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

I read your review after you visited Bob, great story mate. It's really wet my whistle because mine is on its way to him now, but I'm only targeting 300 on mine.
Btw just want to say I love the paint colour, looks really cool.

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

If brand new springs sometimes they take a little while to settle, thats what I found with my old car when I bought "low"springs. Didnt look any different until i drove for abit.

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Thanks for the good review Dan, makes the job worth while when people go away happy & was a pleasure having you here for the day with us thumbsup

il call you tomorrow at some point to discuss the other bits that need doing, sorry not got back to you earlier but been busy busy as per usual

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

DRC

DRC

No problem Bob Very Happy

So there is a small misfire that has developed . Now I have hopefully pinned it down to a break down in the ignition leads or the injectors are in need of a dam good clean as number three is running a bit rich after I took a look at the plugs. So new plugs , leads and coil pack are waiting to be fitted . Should be an easy fix . Famous last words.

Next I have ordered a couple of new springs for the waste gate as the stock pressure mine holds is 0.35 bar! So I have a .7 and a 1 bar spring coming so when it's time for round two at Bob's we can get a much higher and stable boost as the last spring could really only get to about 1 bar before it got unstable.

Next up is a new thinner intercooler coming from Colin of this forum , so hopefully that with 2.5 inch pipe work should help spooling . 

Last big thing needed is a new 3" turbo housing for the 3076r as mine has a 4" anti surge inlet which is just not giving me the response I want from the car. 
Other than the above the car now has some new wheel nuts and will soon need to go for a full wheel alinement .

DRC

DRC

So . I now have a second set of springs ( thanks to Bob)   And stuck them on the car this evening and they are perfect ! I'm very happy with them. Also the tracking has been set up so it now drives as it should.  

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 15391E91-B015-4050-8559-42F9D749855F_zpsgsbtm8uf
After Repairing the  wiring loom and changing the leads and coil for a working set the car still misses around 3k upwards . 

So I took it to Bob at Mallory park last week and he tweeted the map. 
It drove great for a few minutes after leaving and went then back to missing .

The next day trying to start it and it nearly hydro locked with fuel and kept on doing this until it  eventually started . So I have sticky injectors or a sensor is in the faulty. So as I now have a smaller intercooler and turbo housing to fit, plus thinner boost pipes to fabricate .I will live with the misfire and when I have fitted the new bits I will get back down to Bob for a good checking over and final tune.

DRC

DRC

Today I fitted a dummy back box to help the rear asthetics . Also added a new rear plate .

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 FFC20E30-6578-4B02-8158-91ACDEABC8B4_zpsx1z6noyf

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I really like the plates compared to over here. The colour of this car is also growing on me Smile

DRC

DRC

Cheers woody,
So not a lot has been going on with the R but I have managed to get a few small jobs sorted. First was to fit a thinner and slightly smaller intercooler and make a 2.25" ID short intercooler pipe run. So after lots of fiddling cutting and measuring that's done . The car runs but as the pipes are not lipped yet no boost. Going to be welded soon I hope.

Next is the front bumper . My taste may differ from others but ideally I would have a stock bumper but it would not help cooling and air flow so I have painted the mesh and also fitted a renult Laguna plain front splitter.( unpainted) trimmed the number plate and stuck it over the tow eye and I feel very happy with how it looks from the front angles .

Here are a couple of snaps

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 A45CAA00-3F28-48C7-A1CE-0A74698BA5E9_zpsssg5yhro

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 48E04633-818E-47A6-9630-761896C437D1_zps3q1valcc

More to come soon.

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

The blue blends in the pretty good and I think the splitter looks good in black Smile

DRC

DRC

The car is booked in to have the boost pipes made up .

Had a few hours free today so I repainted the wheels white and gave it a polish .

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 7ECE6A06-11D2-4F60-BFF8-9A546BCA3816_zpsxl4izc2n

Project : Mid life Chrisis. Third time lucky . - Page 2 42648875-F3EA-4AB1-A7E9-FFC16B85DE61_zpsqbadjxmk

I love this car

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum