Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toothless 3rd gear

+2
Mr B
mateush
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Toothless 3rd gear Empty Toothless 3rd gear 6th July 2015, 10:33 pm

mateush

I need some advice.

The previous owner said that the gearbox was rebuild around a year ago. And this is what happened recently:
Toothless 3rd gear Fu9zpl
Toothless 3rd gear Vg21r5
Toothless 3rd gear 24n4379

I already have another gearbox but I'm thinking about rebuilding this one as a spare.

What do you think is necessary for a rebuild of such gearbox? Only 3rd gear rings? I've checked (visually) other rings and there is no damage.
Are there any "tricks" to make the gearbox stronger (in a reasonable amount of money)?

Thanks!

2Toothless 3rd gear Empty Re: Toothless 3rd gear 7th July 2015, 12:31 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Have a closer look at the rest of gearset as doubt it good enough to spend money on gear surface work such as shot peening.
If you got a suitable condition gearset you can look at this thread for some ideas & that along with precision rebuild & case strengthening can result in a sturdy box.

3Toothless 3rd gear Empty Re: Toothless 3rd gear 7th July 2015, 12:58 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

What were you doing when it let go?

4Toothless 3rd gear Empty Re: Toothless 3rd gear 7th July 2015, 7:08 am

mateush

gtir_woody wrote:What were you doing when it let go?

Pushing hard on a racetrack. 2nd to 3rd shift.

Any ideas for strengthening are welcome!

5Toothless 3rd gear Empty Re: Toothless 3rd gear 8th July 2015, 11:25 am

Good luck finding the standard gearset, I found 3rd 4th and 5th from a nissan dealership in holland but they wanted DAFT money !!! Considering the condition of most stock boxes these days my advice would be to try and find a quaife because at least then you can always get replacement gears/whole gearsets. Parts are extremely scarce and when you do find them like I found out they demand mega money! In the end the difference for me was, rebuild stock box for £1500 or find a second hand quaife for £2000 obvious choice really! Hope this helps and hope I didn't come across as a know it all just trying to Help based on my experience Smile

6Toothless 3rd gear Empty Re: Toothless 3rd gear 8th July 2015, 4:39 pm

mateush

Do you remember the price for the gears only?

7Toothless 3rd gear Empty Re: Toothless 3rd gear 8th July 2015, 5:20 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

I went to Nissan and they wanted around £300 ish for 1 gear!! That's didn't include the idler gear

8Toothless 3rd gear Empty Re: Toothless 3rd gear 8th July 2015, 6:29 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

if you don't have a real good standard gearset,(most won't be, I got 3 boxes in my garage & only one has gears exceptionally good) your best bet then is aftermarket gearset.
If driving it real hard on track then aftermarket gearset is way forward as the days of sourcing decent standard gearbox parts for few hundred pounds are generally over.
Quaife ok for uk but likes of PAR good for asia & some of east Europe due to support/supply & pricing.

9Toothless 3rd gear Empty Re: Toothless 3rd gear 9th July 2015, 8:57 pm

Supernova

Can you not use gears from other makes and models? Surely it's only a matter of dimensions ect.

It's only a thought as I remember a lot of the Golf lads used to run different gears from different model the favouite was the 5th gear from the Diesel engines.

Failing that If your going to look at spending around the £2000 figure then why not looking at fitting a GT4 box like that chap has done, I'm surprised Bob hasn't looked into it to offer for the big power Pulsar lads on here.

10Toothless 3rd gear Empty Re: Toothless 3rd gear 9th July 2015, 10:33 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ probably because converting to a gt4 box will cost you a lot more than a decent gearkit and effort on end case strengthening, and at end of day you still got an old standard box all but a Toyota one.
A gearkit & effort on casing is going be good enough for most people, drivetrain besides front UJ's handles 500hp+ if in good order.

11Toothless 3rd gear Empty Re: Toothless 3rd gear 9th July 2015, 10:54 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

As above ^^^

It's bloody expensive by the time you have sourced a good Toyota box then there's driveshafts and so fort, then all the labour involved in doing the conversion is just not cost affective.
I know the guy who did the gt4 conversion and he's a very clever chap indeed and took him years to get that car together and initially things were not right but only his time sorting bits out so no labour to pay no that's the only way you can viably do it tbh.

Everyone goes on about split gearbox casings but tbh it's just overly hyped, the casings are not the best but are not bad at all unless your launching the car or driving like a complete and utter loon with no mechanical sympathy Laughing

It's broken gears, selectors and synchros and the like which are main cause of failure. dodgy outer bearing wrases that spin inside the casing are also major factors of casing failures.

Far better and cost affective to buy a quaife or synchro straight cut par gearset than boogering about with stuff that at the end of the day may not be much better than what you already have.

Also to note........many gt4 owners have auto boxes fitted and would prefer manual so that whacks up the price of those from the off as demand causes price hikes

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

12Toothless 3rd gear Empty Re: Toothless 3rd gear 10th July 2015, 9:59 pm

mateush

Supernova wrote:Can you not use gears from other makes and models? Surely it's only a matter of dimensions ect.

I read somewhere that some old Maxima is using the same (but FWD) gearbox... true?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum