Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Intercooler piping size

+2
GTI-R US
johnny gtir
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Intercooler piping size Empty Intercooler piping size 6th April 2015, 4:28 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Hi all
Couple of months ago I've bought forge fmic but just core. It has 60mm diameter pipes question is would be ok to make 50mm piping as I got access to pipe bender but biggest former is for 50mm pipe.

https://bbmgarage.co.uk/

2Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 6th April 2015, 8:32 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

What set up boost pressure you running etc ?

3Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 6th April 2015, 8:49 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

If it was me I'd be going with 2.5 inch piping. 50mm would be closer to 2inch without looking it up.

4Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 6th April 2015, 8:55 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

It's work in progress I've got gt2871r and I'm planing to run 1 bar 1.2 max or lets say I'd run pressure which would not require bigger injectors and maf

5Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 6th April 2015, 10:23 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

If you can use the bender and 52 mm at that spec should be fine. See others opinions. Would be better with bigger. Means redoing it if you up the spec but if thats down the line then its matterless

6Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 6th April 2015, 10:40 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Hmm thanks I might just stick 60mm pipe in it and see what will come out

7Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 6th April 2015, 10:54 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

What kind of pipe bender are you using ???

8Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 6th April 2015, 11:05 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Do you need to make up all the intercooler pipes mate? You would be better off just buying an GTIR intercooler pipe kit. If you need to change a few pipes no big deal.

9Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 6th April 2015, 11:13 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Well everything off the shelf requires removing expansion tank and washer bottle and runs too close to battery for my likening and i'm thinking of clocking turbo and run outlet down also forge outlets are in the middle of ic not on the bottom another thing is i wanted to use as little silicon as possible hence pipe bender but i just get some 2,5 in pipe and see how it'll come out with this former

10Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 6th April 2015, 11:23 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

I would have said 50mm I'd will be fine for anything upto around 1.2 bar
I've seen a few systems where they have used 2" on turbo outlet and opened to 2.5 on return pipe to plenum
Afterall when you think about it the outlet from turbo is only 2" anyway so can't really see the point in going larger than that

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

11Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 6th April 2015, 11:28 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Another thing what i thought would be good is less volume to fill up lol! and packaging like my missus said 1cm makes difference....

12Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 6th April 2015, 11:56 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

nomad wrote:What kind of pipe bender are you using ???
Aww sorry I'v just seen it i believe is this one https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/chv12-12-ton-hydraulic-pipe-bender

13Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 7th April 2015, 7:31 am

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

You can get the 3inch former for them ... im not sure how good it will he with ally ive used one with stainless it was very hard to get a short bend without kinking it ... i was told packing it with sand helps ... i didnt try it just made a larger bend and welded then cut and welded it together ...

14Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 7th April 2015, 7:48 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

My old house mate had one similar years ago and used sand. From memory it helped but still couldn't get the tigher bends quite right.

15Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 7th April 2015, 7:50 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Actually I think he might have been using steel not ally.

16Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 7th April 2015, 9:09 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

One thing for sure it will be better than the awful sh1t that Forge put together.
Can't believe they got away with that for price of the FMIC kit.

17Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 7th April 2015, 12:14 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Dont think ive seen a forge fmic piping kit .... is it really that bad ????

18Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 7th April 2015, 2:30 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ for a motorsport company :-/ & the price tag, yes :-)

19Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 7th April 2015, 6:51 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Thanks for your advice guys

I was looking on ebay etc for bigger former but no luck (I'm crap with finding stuff on line lol) would have to chase some clarke rep  

And I'd agree with Mr B genuine forge piping is just slightly overpriced around £400 for something like this  http://www.forgemotorsport.com/media/GTiR%20FMIC%20pt1.PDF

20Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 7th April 2015, 7:00 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Like this ......Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171745376081&alt=web

21Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 7th April 2015, 7:03 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Thank Bud i might drop them message if they'd supply separated bits

22Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 7th April 2015, 7:40 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Its worth an ask .... they all seem to be the same style benders same as machine mart ebay etc .... you could probably buy one and sell it on after and still not be out of pocket to much ...

23Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 7th April 2015, 8:23 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Or I could keep it and start making custom ic piping lol Very Happy

24Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 7th April 2015, 8:29 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I could be intrested in that if you can magic a super short pipe run ... rather than it going in some kind of hike around the engine bay Laughing

25Intercooler piping size Empty Re: Intercooler piping size 7th April 2015, 8:31 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Well it might be couple of months but I'll put some pics when I'm done

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum