Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

micrometer for measuring shims

+2
Chrism
GTI-R US
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1micrometer for measuring shims  Empty micrometer for measuring shims 11th February 2015, 11:52 am

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

just ordered this and was delivered this morning just under £35 in total

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390840891855?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

for years ive used a digital vernier gauge and pins to measure the internal thickness of shims but is time consuming with more maths involved

so bought the above and must say its extremely accurate and very well made (not a lightweight flimsy piece of rubbish)
in order to measure the shims though you will need to grind down the adjuster arms to make the circumference slightly smaller so they fit internally into the shim (just be careful not to damage the mating faces or leave raised burred edges above the measuring faces)

will now make measuring these up a real doddle Smile

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

2micrometer for measuring shims  Empty Re: micrometer for measuring shims 11th February 2015, 12:21 pm

Chrism

Best bring my car down and you can do mine for me Wink

3micrometer for measuring shims  Empty Re: micrometer for measuring shims 11th February 2015, 8:20 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

That's cool, sounds like it will make the job heaps easier bob, not bad for the price either

4micrometer for measuring shims  Empty Re: micrometer for measuring shims 11th February 2015, 8:41 pm

GTIR James

Blimey bob. I told you about these ages ago Laughing
Does make measuring the shims a lot easier. Think my one has smaller point on it but does the same job

5micrometer for measuring shims  Empty Re: micrometer for measuring shims 11th February 2015, 9:26 pm

grim_d

grim_d

I bought a point micrometer for this purpose, no need to modify it to fit inside the shim.

6micrometer for measuring shims  Empty Re: micrometer for measuring shims 18th March 2015, 6:15 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

here's a sweet one, bidding ending in 3hrs .... (£16 @ time of post)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitutoyo-Point-Micrometer-/161633649976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a21dc538

7micrometer for measuring shims  Empty Re: micrometer for measuring shims 18th March 2015, 6:30 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Mitutoyo stuff is excellent,  have a few of their mics, dti etc. Im bidding but im probably too cheap to win. Laughing

Something of note is when using a point mic then there is a dimple inside the shim bucket so need to be careful no to put the point into it.

8micrometer for measuring shims  Empty Re: micrometer for measuring shims 18th March 2015, 6:51 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ Damn I should of kept it to myself :-)
Yep mitutoyo is very good. Like you i'm too cheap 2 win plus already got one but interested what this goes for, expect could pick up some quality mic bargains if put in a bit of time ebay searching & bidding over a month or 2 .

9micrometer for measuring shims  Empty Re: micrometer for measuring shims 18th March 2015, 10:15 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

someone one that with the extra penny bid trick lol, £35.01 was very fair price for a decent micrometer . looked very clean as did buyers FB .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum