Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which shims do I need.??

+3
gtir_woody
nomad
Chrism
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Which shims do I need.?? Empty Which shims do I need.?? 31st January 2015, 9:38 pm

Chrism

Going to order these from the land of oz
But anyone know the right measurements for them.???
http://www.precisionshims.com.au/products/sr20

Or will I have to measure mine fitst

2Which shims do I need.?? Empty Re: Which shims do I need.?? 31st January 2015, 10:07 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I think your have to measure each one first .... thats why there is some many different sizes mate ...

3Which shims do I need.?? Empty Re: Which shims do I need.?? 31st January 2015, 10:42 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Another question to add to this is how long after a head rebuild should the shims be checked etc.

4Which shims do I need.?? Empty Re: Which shims do I need.?? 1st February 2015, 12:17 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

You have measure current clearances then measure current shims & calculate new size needed to get clearance to spec you want.
You may find some of current shims might be re-usable in another location saving amount needing purchase.

On a fully rebuilt head I would recheck clearances within 800 miles just to be sure.

5Which shims do I need.?? Empty Re: Which shims do I need.?? 1st February 2015, 2:33 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

also if your re-shimming the head it will pay you in the long term to fit locator shims either side of the rocker arm instead of using just one.
this will keep the rocker in place and help avoid it throwing if you mis-shift or overly rev the engine

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

6Which shims do I need.?? Empty Re: Which shims do I need.?? 1st February 2015, 4:48 pm

Chrism

Will you look for me bob and I'll call thro the week and get some more info off you Smile

7Which shims do I need.?? Empty Re: Which shims do I need.?? 2nd February 2015, 4:53 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Mr B wrote:
On a fully rebuilt head I would recheck clearances within 800 miles just to be sure.

Thanks B, I'll need to add that to my list of things to do.

8Which shims do I need.?? Empty Re: Which shims do I need.?? 2nd February 2015, 9:56 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ that's what I do & was general practice recommended through some engine builders & machinists & one I decided adopt.
If you had a lot of head work done such as valve seats, new cams etc it sure worth checking ...

9Which shims do I need.?? Empty Re: Which shims do I need.?? 2nd February 2015, 10:38 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Out of curiosity are they generally out by much/ or at all after that period of time? I'll still get everything checked over anyhow

10Which shims do I need.?? Empty Re: Which shims do I need.?? 2nd February 2015, 11:01 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Generally very little change & still perfect setting range.
Have had one that went a little too low on clearance probably due to settling of new valves & seats.
for me it just peace of mind & extra safety check.

11Which shims do I need.?? Empty Re: Which shims do I need.?? 2nd February 2015, 11:15 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Very true, the last thing you wanna be saying is "wish I checked that" Laughing

12Which shims do I need.?? Empty Re: Which shims do I need.?? 2nd February 2015, 5:08 pm

pulsarmoley

pulsarmoley

Mine definitely sound like they need checking, this time I think ill be getting new valves and seats fitted.

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow...

13Which shims do I need.?? Empty Re: Which shims do I need.?? 1st March 2016, 10:52 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

GTI-R US wrote:also if your re-shimming the head it will pay you in the long term to fit locator shims either side of the rocker arm instead of using just one.
this will keep the rocker in place and help avoid it throwing if you mis-shift or overly rev the engine

When you say locater shims, we're talking about the slotted shims right?

I'm about to order some from Australia soon so if anyone else wants some let me know and we can share postage?

Also i now 32 shims if anyone needs, their range is 2.39mm to 2.642mm tho,
Very Happy

14Which shims do I need.?? Empty Re: Which shims do I need.?? 2nd March 2016, 7:58 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Cosmic73 wrote:
GTI-R US wrote:also if your re-shimming the head it will pay you in the long term to fit locator shims either side of the rocker arm instead of using just one.

When you say locater shims, we're talking about the slotted shims right?

Yes that right .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum