Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spinning the cold side

+3
grim_d
gtir_pimp
PartyPete
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Spinning the cold side Empty Spinning the cold side 2nd February 2015, 4:06 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

I'm going to be making a full hard pipe kit, but I also want to shorten the run as much as possible! I'm considering spinning the cold side of the turbo 180 degrees so the outlet points down instead of up! That would reduce the pipe work by a fare amount! It's a gr3071r, my question is this...is it actually possible before I start unbolting everything?

2Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 2nd February 2015, 5:26 pm

gtir_pimp

gtir_pimp

I can't answer that question but I take it your doing that to reduce the lag?

I would like to see how much difference it makes.

Even with the short pipe run intercooler spec r one I had the lag was still ridiculous! If I was going to do it again I would fork out a bit more for a 3076 with small exhaust housing and 2 and a half inch intake like what I had on my pearl car coz that thing spooled almost like a standard turbo

3Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 2nd February 2015, 5:33 pm

grim_d

grim_d

I have been thinking about this recently too, my concern would be how close to the block the outlet may come, may be a non issue. You may have to point the outlet slightly forward.

I think whytie has recently changed to a 3071 and his set up seems to be this way, so maybe he can offer some advice, he does have a aftermarket manifold though so don't know if turbo sits in stock position.

4Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 2nd February 2015, 5:57 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Yes to reduce lag, a friend of mine who is pretty clued up on this sort of stuff seems to think it will make a fare bit of difference! The spool on this turbo is not too bad and now Iv just gone from a 2 1/2 inch full pipe to a 3inch side exit I'm sure that will make a huge difference! I'm seriously considering having a vipec Ecu fitted soon with anti lag...and see how long the turbo lasts Razz

5Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 3rd February 2015, 12:41 pm

warringtonjack

Anybody considered other cooling methods as opposed to intercooler to reduce lag? I seem to remember Rob had some sort of charge-cooler set up on his old car.

6Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 3rd February 2015, 12:56 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

charge cooler set up makes a whole world of difference in terms of intake temps and as minimal lag possible with a big turbo set up

the rest of it then comes down to supporting mods and finally how the car is mapped to get the best gains

heres the setup from our old track car which will be similar on the rashiteen were doing but with a larger turbo
Spinning the cold side 001pjw

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

7Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 3rd February 2015, 1:55 pm

Whytie

Whytie

My turbo sits in the stock position and I rotated it 180. It's very tight and I had to shave a tiny bit of the turbo for it to clear the block.

The other issue you come in to is making a intercooler pipe run with the front cross member and engine mount.

8Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 3rd February 2015, 1:56 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Charge-cooler lends itself to the gtir perfectly, good effort on charge cooler setup will leave even the best air intercooler behind in terms of efficiency & intake plumbing layout.
Only downside is initial cost & bit more fitting complexity.

9Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 3rd February 2015, 2:05 pm

Whytie

Whytie

This was what it looked like when I had a smaller md214 fitted (2871r)

The front mount I chopped and moved a few inches to the right

Spinning the cold side 41B2C028-0AF3-46CA-8792-2B6DC67F9B03-584-00000083C03F7028_zpsa9a3798a

Now I have totally ditched the front mount and cross member

10Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 3rd February 2015, 4:19 pm

grim_d

grim_d

GTI-R US wrote:charge cooler set up makes a whole world of difference in terms of intake temps and as minimal lag possible with a big turbo set up

the rest of it then comes down to supporting mods and finally how the car is mapped to get the best gains

heres the setup from our old track car which will be similar on the rashiteen were doing but with a larger turbo
Spinning the cold side 001pjw

Custom made charge cooler bob? seems to be the way to go that's a gloriously short run.

Also where does the 2nd (blue) line on that catch can go? My breather system is set up the same but just vents to atmosphere because catch cans don't seem to come in single inlet.

11Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 3rd February 2015, 4:30 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Whytie wrote:This was what it looked like when I had a smaller md214 fitted (2871r)

The front mount I chopped and moved a few inches to the right

Spinning the cold side 41B2C028-0AF3-46CA-8792-2B6DC67F9B03-584-00000083C03F7028_zpsa9a3798a

Now I have totally ditched the front mount and cross member

You've ditched the cross member? Any more pics of your set up?

12Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 3rd February 2015, 4:40 pm

Whytie

Whytie

Spinning the cold side 27D451AB-F97C-41EC-8641-04A7A373FCD1_zpsqq6pplpi

13Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 3rd February 2015, 4:46 pm

PartyPete

PartyPete
the one star club
the one star club

Very impressive! Is there not a mount to the engine on the cross member? I can't remember without looking?

14Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 3rd February 2015, 5:21 pm

grim_d

grim_d

There's a rock stabiliser on it and it's a good jacking point too.

15Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 3rd February 2015, 5:42 pm

Whytie

Whytie

If you look at my first pic closely I moved the rock stabiliser mount to the right and made a bracket that bolts on to the gearbox housing.

I've ditched the whole lot now

16Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 3rd February 2015, 7:45 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

grim d wrote: Custom made charge cooler bob? seems to be the way to go that's a gloriously short run.

Also where does the 2nd (blue) line on that catch can go? My breather system is set up the same but just vents to atmosphere because catch cans don't seem to come in single inlet.

the other one runs back to the custom induction intake pipe

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

17Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 9th February 2015, 6:21 pm

grim_d

grim_d

I saw the coolers you had on yours for sale, they are super cheap compared to the likes of AVT barrel coolers (£90 compared to around £700++), I wanted to know if you ever measured inlet temperatures on track using yours? How did you find the quality? How big a radiator did you run?

I think it would be possible to get set up for around £500 including a bosch pump and proper alloy radiator.

18Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 9th February 2015, 6:32 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

im using a pace cooling rad and filler, the heat exchanger is a gda unit I believe and think pump was bosch but supplied by them also. I never bought any of it as removed from a car we had in a few years back.

best thing I ever did was switching to this setup and away from air to air type.

seeing as my car was/is used (lets say harshly) on circuit, together with other track modifications the engine still lives on.
its covered almost 3k hard track miles now and when I pulled her apart ''as refresh it every year'' it is all still in top notch condition Shocked
I put most of that down to having fitted the charge cooler which without doubt keeps intake temps right down, the rest of it is just getting a good map in the first instance

Services provided

Race & Suspension setup
Full workshop facilities

19Spinning the cold side Empty Re: Spinning the cold side 9th February 2015, 6:48 pm

grim_d

grim_d

Don't know who GDA are but those units (or copies) can be found on ebay. They look exactly the same and appear to have a similar core size to the "450bhp" size recommended by AVT unfortunately theres no spec on flow for the universal one, and quality may be debatable as it does look like an IC with a water jacket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-LIQUID-INTERCOOLER-AIR-TO-WATER-CHARGECOOLER-IDEAL-FOR-KIT-PROJECT-CAR-/361209317755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5419c0c97b

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum