Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Low temperature Aluminium welding

+4
Bones
gtir_woody
nomad
mikewazowski
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Low temperature Aluminium welding 17th December 2014, 12:11 am

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

Hi guys, i was at a classic motor show in birmingham couple of weeks ago and there was a stool that showed how to weld aluminium in your shed Very Happy

It literally works like a soldering iron, you can use these rods with a blow torch to make small brackets etc etc. Its really easy to work with and really good if you're like me and have limited space to work in.

Link to the item on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Welding-Low-Temp-Durafix-Easyweld-UK-Rods-Brush-/220865171345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=520050315499&hash=item336c970f91

Link to a vid of the rods in use - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijW310xvp4

2Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 18th December 2014, 6:15 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Thats pretty cool .... video was much better to see whats going on ...

3Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 18th December 2014, 6:50 pm

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

ive got some on order now so just waiting for them to arrive, im planning to make a bracket for my intercooler etc etc Smile

4Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 18th December 2014, 7:25 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Good alternative for simple jobs like in the vid for people who don't want a welder. I like the idea of it..

5Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 18th December 2014, 7:45 pm

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

yeah man defo! ill give you some feedback once i get the rods in Smile

6Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 18th December 2014, 8:15 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I see you can use it for repair i wonder how strong it will be welding stuff together ...

7Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 18th December 2014, 8:31 pm

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

Its very strong, at that show bloke did a sample for me by welding two pieces of aluminium into a T piece. I tried to bend one of the sides to see if the weld cracks but the weld was fine, aluminium started bending first but the weld was fine.

Its funny because when you melt down that rod it mixes with existing aluminium so its super strong. I obviously wouldnt make any massive mounts that would hold alot of weight etc but i reckon it would be good for making stuff like battery cages etc etc Smile

8Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 18th December 2014, 8:35 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Really looking forward to your report mate. Looks good though

9Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 18th December 2014, 8:37 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Yeah mike for sure, I'll pick some up if it works out well for you.

10Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 18th December 2014, 10:35 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Sounds pretty good then ..... i wonder if it would hold out doing like boost pipe joints would make life alot easier doing short pipe runs without loads of silicone joins ...

11Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 18th December 2014, 11:06 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

I've just ordered a set too so will see if they work as can't do allie with my tig

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

12Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 18th December 2014, 11:32 pm

mikewazowski

mikewazowski

Exact thing i was thinking nomad, but then id be worried about temperature weakening the weld etc. It would be defo worth testing out tho because i wouldnt mind doing a short run pipework to reduce some lag, Ill defo make a custom aluminium air intake when i have some spare time Smile

Ow and another cool use for these is when you destroy a thready, you can do is redrill the hole one size up, put a bolt of smaller size inside and then fill the gap with molten durafix, no need for tapping threads Very Happy

13Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 19th December 2014, 12:13 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Does look clever but unsure how good it would be long term on stressed joints, not really brazing as main alloy not melting into pool so more like solder.
One way to find out I suppose & could be great option for low cost simplicity & doing a job yourself ... look forward to a follow up ...

14Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 24th January 2016, 10:37 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I brought some of these yesterday. Has anyone ended up trying it? I wanted to try weld a small AN fitting to my intercooler piping. From what ive read it should be strong enough....

15Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 24th January 2016, 10:39 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Not been rude but you not got a cutting of pipe to try it on

16Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 24th January 2016, 11:04 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Not rude at all Johnny Smile yeah got a scrap piece I'm going to try on when they show up, was just interested to hear if anyone had used them yet

17Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 24th January 2016, 11:16 am

mc_hawkings24

I've looked up these things before when i was thinking of welding a hole in an intercooler. I think this is supposed to be better than lumiweld which is not very good. Takes alot of practice or you'll up melting the material your welding or it will go brittle. Lots of practice or just sod it and get it welded

18Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 24th January 2016, 8:16 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Looked easy in the video lol I'll see how the practice piece goes, should be interesting

19Low temperature Aluminium welding  Empty Re: Low temperature Aluminium welding 31st May 2017, 12:55 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Anyone have any feedback on just how good or bad these rods are?

I bought some a while ago but dependant on type of material (whether it be mainly alloy or alluminium based) as to success rate in terms of strength scratch

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I never got round to ordering any as didnt need anything done as of yet ...

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I haven't ended up using the ones I brought.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum