Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brake caliper rebuilds

+4
Cosmic73
Bones
nomad
toaster55
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Brake caliper rebuilds - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake caliper rebuilds 20th December 2018, 10:58 am

mike74

mike74

I just had a brainstorm Cosmic. I'm assuming the handbrake cables are still attached to the car but dangling freely? If so, try filling up a coke bottle with vinegar and submerge the offending cable end into it as far as it will go and tape the bottle to the cable. Leave to soak for a few days, shaking the bottle now and again.
If this doesn't free it up, or at least get rid of the corrosion then nothing will!
I've tried vinegar to remove rust from nuts n bolts and it definitely works Smile

27Brake caliper rebuilds - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake caliper rebuilds 20th December 2018, 12:07 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Don't know about uk but over here you can get cables relined pretty easily,

edit: this thread have link on that .
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t6687p25-handbrake-cables

28Brake caliper rebuilds - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake caliper rebuilds 20th December 2018, 12:08 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Cheers Mike, but i've just ordered a new OEM one from Nissan.
£109 from Japan, so not too bad under the circumstances.  Very Happy

29Brake caliper rebuilds - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake caliper rebuilds 20th December 2018, 12:55 pm

mike74

mike74

Pretty expensive for a f'king cable but at least you've got one sussed anyway  Smile

30Brake caliper rebuilds - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake caliper rebuilds 20th December 2018, 1:16 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

yeh spendy but even the pattern ones when available not always found really cheap, it be job jobbed for another 25-30yrs .
probably good way go if daily driving it as freeing it off probably not going be long term fix unless it wasn't too bad to start with and nothing worse than getting in a bind fiddling with same niggles yearly, expect relining likely more than half that cost with uk costs/taxes .
Just tell the wife and kids christmas cancelled, take the turkey ham and mince pies back and buy the LH one too, will bug you with only one shiney one lol .

31Brake caliper rebuilds - Page 2 Empty Re: Brake caliper rebuilds 1st January 2019, 11:44 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Ive had a right mare over the last week trying to remove the pipe assembly from under the chassis.
I managed to undo the rear brake pipes from the proportion valve housing in the engine bay but couldn't pull out the entire pipe assembly as the roll bar was in the way.
So i tried to undo the roll bar bolts to lower the bar and of course one of them snapped! Mad  Mad
To put it mildly, ive had enough, so ive spoken with Mike who is willing to finish off the work and hopefully put 12 months MOT on it.
I tried my best, but the R's brake pipes are just too complex for me  Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum