Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

N14 Pulsar front end

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1N14 Pulsar front end Empty N14 Pulsar front end 23rd January 2020, 6:20 am

Andre Jordaan

Hi Guys.

No, it's not a GTI-R, but I HAVE to ask!!!! Please forgive me.

I've been having a creeking sound (like an old wooden floor creeking sound) when braking with my N14 Pulsar (Over here in South Africa it's called a Sabre 160GX). It almost sounds like the chassis is flexing when the wheel gets to a certain point. Now, I have replaced inner CVs, Bottom ball joints, rack ends, wheel bearings, discs and pads. That's when the issue acutally started.... and also, its a rotational sound so it audible somewhere during each rotation of the wheel.

This sound has been driving me up the wall, so I replaced the discs and pads, wheel bearings and rack ends AGAIN and the bloody sound is still there!!
I made sure each and every nut and bolt on the front of the vehicle is torqued to the correct specification, I have cleaned and lubricated the calipers( probably a thousand times already), what am I missing??

Obviously I cannot keep throwing buckets of money at the car and I need this sorted!

PLEASE HELP

I'll post a pic of the car as soon as my 7 day ban is over...

Regards,
André Jordaan

2N14 Pulsar front end Empty Re: N14 Pulsar front end 23rd January 2020, 8:42 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Have you jacked the font end up and tried listening close up. Any idea what side it’s on ?

3N14 Pulsar front end Empty Re: N14 Pulsar front end 24th January 2020, 1:36 am

splmum

splmum

When you replaced the rotors (discs) did you diligently CLEAN the surface of the hub with a wire brush. If you have any 'muck' there when you bolt up the rotor it will run out of true and so the 'rotational sound' every time the wheel turns.

4N14 Pulsar front end Empty Re: N14 Pulsar front end 24th January 2020, 5:57 am

Andre Jordaan

splmum wrote:When you replaced the rotors (discs) did you diligently CLEAN the surface of the hub with a wire brush.  If you have any 'muck' there when you bolt up the rotor it will run out of true and so the 'rotational sound' every time the wheel turns.

Yes I did.

The first time I cleaned all surfaces with the wire brush and wire wheel that goes on the drill. SECOND time I installed new hubs and discs. All mating surfaces = NEW. All Spigot rings that goes on the mag wheels are installed also.

It sounds like left front.

Let me be clear here. When driving, there's NOTHING wrong with the car. As stated, it's only sitting on 87 000mi. It only when braking. and I CANNOT figure out why!

I even downloaded a manual and made sure everything is correctly installed and at the correct torque.

The only thing I haven't replaced again is the lower ball joints... I'm starting to wonder if that may be the issue here.... as stated, it sounds like chassis flex. I JUST DON'T KNOW... GRRRRRR

5N14 Pulsar front end Empty Re: N14 Pulsar front end 24th January 2020, 6:15 am

Andre Jordaan

Is there a special way of installing the calipers maybe?

Unfortunately as a new member I cannot upload pictures for 7 days.

6N14 Pulsar front end Empty Re: N14 Pulsar front end 24th January 2020, 10:43 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

do you get any creaking flex noise at the brake area stationary with wheel off and someone stomping the brake pedal .
Have the calipers been inspected for any cracks, mount/slide pin damage .
If callipers appear good I would be checking control arm bushes and strut rod play and strut top mounting .
Many times creaking under braking can come from strut and top mounting on these .

All these parts pretty cheap too and easily available from pretty good parts brands .

7N14 Pulsar front end Empty Re: N14 Pulsar front end 27th January 2020, 6:48 am

Andre Jordaan

Mr B wrote:do you get any creaking flex noise at the brake area stationary with wheel off and someone stomping the brake pedal .No I haven't done this yet
Have the calipers been inspected for any cracks, mount/slide pin damage . Calipers are good
If callipers appear good I would be checking control arm bushes and strut rod play and strut top mounting .
Many times creaking under braking can come from strut and top mounting on these . Can you possibly explain more on this matter please?

All these parts pretty cheap too and easily available from pretty good parts brands .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum