Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Broken Sub-Frame Stud

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Broken Sub-Frame Stud  Empty Broken Sub-Frame Stud 24th June 2019, 10:35 am

DC313

DC313

Has anyone had this before??

Broken Sub-Frame Stud  09D91AF8-0579-421E-9D42-DF2ADD8FE670

Even thou the nut was soaked in wd and threads wire brushed, the stud broke straight away when trying to undo it!
Not sure how they mount into the chassis, and appreciate the metal insert from the bush is suck over the top.

So current plan is remove the outer bush, cut the stud abit higher and machine up a new tapered and threaded section which I can Tig onto the existing part. (abit like this).

Broken Sub-Frame Stud  Stud

Any Views / advice welcome.

Cheers

2Broken Sub-Frame Stud  Empty Re: Broken Sub-Frame Stud 4th July 2019, 8:17 am

grim_d

grim_d

It's been a number of years since I saw it but if I remember correctly the pin has a large head/plate which comes through a hole in the section and is spot welded in place.

The whole section can be removed if you drill out the spot welds and you could turn a new pin and install it but it's a huge amount of work.

Instead of simply welding a new section on I would probably consider tapping a thread in the original pin and putting a matching threaded section on your replacement piece, if done correctly this will ensure proper alignment as well as giving an additional mechanical fixing to minimise any distortion from welding. Make sure the grade of steel you use is suitable for task as well as welding as many machining friendly grades are unsuitable for welding.

You could turn a guide for drilling and tapping the original pin.

As a side note I would inspect the face where the subframe bushes butt up against, I have on more than one occasion found corrosion around the pin between the sections where the pin is spot welded into the housing., Similar to the corrosion that occurs on the front ARB mounts.

3Broken Sub-Frame Stud  Empty Re: Broken Sub-Frame Stud 4th July 2019, 3:45 pm

Ryaneg6freak

Ryaneg6freak

I've had that happen before and to be honest I just cut a hole in the frame where I could access the back side and then dropped a long bolt in there after cutting the old stud out. Put a few tack welds on the back side to hold it. Seemed to work ok.

4Broken Sub-Frame Stud  Empty Re: Broken Sub-Frame Stud 9th July 2019, 2:29 pm

DC313

DC313

Cool thanks for the help and advise!

Think I'll try a thread and weld version first and see how that goes, abit of en8 should work well for all the needs. Failing that i'll go for a plan B of cut and stud.

Many Thanks

5Broken Sub-Frame Stud  Empty Re: Broken Sub-Frame Stud 9th July 2019, 2:34 pm

grim_d

grim_d

En8 (or rather 080M40) is probably a good choice, turns lovely and welds decent too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum