Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Uprated cams required or not?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Uprated cams required or not? Empty Uprated cams required or not? 30th May 2019, 6:20 pm

Biggs

Biggs

I'm currently building an engine. What sort of maximum power figures can I expect from running standard cams?
If i need to upgrade the cams, would I need adjustable cam gears also?
Short engine is fully forged, just a little unsure of what to do with the head.
Head is standard and has just come back from the workshop. It has had a head skim, pressure test, valves reseated and new valve stem seals fitted.

2Uprated cams required or not? Empty Re: Uprated cams required or not? 31st May 2019, 7:26 am

DC313

DC313

The engine power will more be linked to which turbo & MAF / how much boost you're running rather than cams. Cams are more linked to where the power comes in. If you have aftermarket cams you dont need to run adjustable cam gears, but if you do it will give you more tunning potential getting the car running spot on.

3Uprated cams required or not? Empty Re: Uprated cams required or not? 2nd June 2019, 11:49 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

You can get pretty good power results with stock cams .
Cost and your goals going make choices really .
While building an engine good time change them and can be easy way gain some power and tune power curve and compliment other changes such as head porting, exhaust manifold and turbo changes .
I'm a big fan of tomei 260's . good lift and sensible duration .new cams, springs never a bad thing .

Has the shop already fitted the original cams and shimmed them up or they done work with no cams supplied .

4Uprated cams required or not? Empty Re: Uprated cams required or not? 2nd June 2019, 12:11 pm

Biggs

Biggs

No cams fitted as yet. I was actually looking at the tomei cams. They are very reasonably priced direct from Japan.

5Uprated cams required or not? Empty Re: Uprated cams required or not? 2nd June 2019, 12:31 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Got to price in springs and setup .
Want vernier pulley set too ideally, but they not over expensive .

6Uprated cams required or not? Empty Re: Uprated cams required or not? 2nd June 2019, 12:40 pm

Biggs

Biggs

Any recommendation on springs?

7Uprated cams required or not? Empty Re: Uprated cams required or not? 2nd June 2019, 6:43 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

BC probably cheapest/easiest . spring options from ferrea, supertech and tomei for 12mm+ lift can be used but spring sets based around 40mm install height will require spring seat of head be machined to keep within spring bind height spec as gtir install height is around 38mm .

8Uprated cams required or not? Empty Re: Uprated cams required or not? 3rd June 2019, 1:31 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Yes what ever you do make sure they are R specific springs unless you do what B said.

9Uprated cams required or not? Empty Re: Uprated cams required or not? 3rd June 2019, 11:44 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

I've got Bc 1030 spring set on mine and Tomei 260 cams + pulleys. As above make sure that your valve springs are rnn14 (ve and honda h22) specific not just random sr20. Get your cams dialled in, loads of ppl say you don't need that but trust me had few cars with verniers set on 0 and after dialling them in it ran much better (manufacturers do advise that). Another thing cams help with is compressor surge at wot, it helps digest all that air bit better.

10Uprated cams required or not? Empty Re: Uprated cams required or not? 4th June 2019, 2:03 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

problem is you won't find many specific made rnn14 54c springs for high lift .
THE BC springs being H22 based are not perfect match and not specific, the lower seat height means the preload is quite low when used on the gtir, you can shim them but I prefer machining head for longer spring as gives you some fine control on spring load, more spring choices and no shimming.
Due 54c rocker design valve spring rate is important factor as is simple things like dual guide shim mod and keeping both valves and shims as equal as can to aid rocker positioning/reliability .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]