Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parasitic Battery Draw

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Parasitic Battery Draw Empty Parasitic Battery Draw 28th February 2019, 9:12 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

So ive watched a few vids, but im confused and may as well ask.

I want to do a parasitic battery draw test.

What settings do I need to put this multi-meter on?

Parasitic Battery Draw IMG-5122

2Parasitic Battery Draw Empty Re: Parasitic Battery Draw 28th February 2019, 9:39 am

FPSChris

FPSChris

Remove negative battery cable
Stick black in COM
Red in 10a or 20a - Don't use MaH
You need to set multimeter on DC 10a to start with
Red cable on negative battery cable
Stick black cable on negative battery terminal
Any reading above 0.05 is a drain (iirc)
I use crocodile clips to secure the multimeter cables to the battery
Unplug suspect fuses one by one, give it a few seconds for the multi meter to reflect changes, don't forget to plug them back in.
If you go into the cabin, unplug the meter first and stick down the door switch and plug it back in or you can damage the meter, same with turning ignition on, always unplug it if you're gonna put a high load through the circuit.

Good luck

https://soundcloud.com/fpschris

3Parasitic Battery Draw Empty Re: Parasitic Battery Draw 28th February 2019, 1:47 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Easy smoke an unfused meter so be careful, newer cars are a nightmare as only get a window of time after initial sleep before wakes up again doing tests .
R pretty basic though, I like testing right at fuse box, voltage drop test right at fuses and making a break out with old fuse, a fuse holder and some wire so can add in amp meter inline or inductive on a cable loop .
uni-t 210e pretty useful cheap meter with inductive clamp and good resolution for some quick and easy first stage auto elec tests .

4Parasitic Battery Draw Empty Re: Parasitic Battery Draw 28th February 2019, 5:07 pm

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Solar panel chargers are your friend I have 4 of them haha put one on the dash arid of the car when not using them pm battery is always fully charges even in rainy Britain

5Parasitic Battery Draw Empty Re: Parasitic Battery Draw 28th February 2019, 9:57 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Thanks a lot guys that makes sense, not that my car is ever running but Ive got a couple of suspect things to check

6Parasitic Battery Draw Empty Re: Parasitic Battery Draw 2nd March 2019, 7:25 am

BEBB GTIR

BEBB GTIR
the one star club
the one star club

Usually with mine it's been radio draining, so I always Earth the metal casing which seems to fix it, starter motor on its way out or stupidly the tailgate not latched down properly ????????

7Parasitic Battery Draw Empty Re: Parasitic Battery Draw 2nd March 2019, 8:22 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I thought id start with the aftermarket stuff, haltech, gauges, stereo, maybe thermo and fuel pump relays then go from there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum