Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cylinder head skimming help

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cylinder head skimming help Empty Cylinder head skimming help 25th May 2018, 7:20 pm

toaster55

toaster55

Guys, how far can you safely skim a cylinder head? Reason I'm asking is the head I took off has damaged cam bearing surface and I expect that will be very expensive to have fixed, but I have another head which is better but has det damage but will need about a millimetre skimming off to get it flat. Problem is it's already a millimetre below nominal. Is it worth doing or do I phone Bob on Tuesday for a new head?
Cheers
Paul

2Cylinder head skimming help Empty Re: Cylinder head skimming help 25th May 2018, 8:47 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Wouldn't you just use a thicker head gasket to keep the comp ratio and clearances the same ?

3Cylinder head skimming help Empty Re: Cylinder head skimming help 25th May 2018, 8:59 pm

toaster55

toaster55

I suppose but there has To be a limit, I know some heads have a Max before the walls of the head get to thin around water ways etc.

4Cylinder head skimming help Empty Re: Cylinder head skimming help 25th May 2018, 9:52 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Find a better head to work with. both you heads sound likely past worthwhile refurbishment .

5Cylinder head skimming help Empty Re: Cylinder head skimming help 26th May 2018, 5:48 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

How do you know how much has been already taken off out of curiosity?

6Cylinder head skimming help Empty Re: Cylinder head skimming help 26th May 2018, 6:48 am

toaster55

toaster55

Cheers Mr B, I shall get on the case after payday.
Woody, nominal cylinder head height is 136.9-137.1 iaw manual. I just measured the one with det damage with a vernier and it came out at 136.15 so nearly a mil lower so probably been skimmed a good few times in the past!

7Cylinder head skimming help Empty Re: Cylinder head skimming help 26th May 2018, 7:31 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

ah cool, thanks mate, that's good to know.

8Cylinder head skimming help Empty Re: Cylinder head skimming help 26th May 2018, 11:44 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

some of the head and block measures can be found in below pdf .
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Ub2apq5-pfTHlJWmpEQzNnT2c/view

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum