Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

storms and computers

+3
splmum
johnny gtir
gtir_woody
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1storms and computers Empty storms and computers 17th February 2018, 6:23 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Anyone good with computers?

we had a big storm last weekend lots of thunder and lightning. The breaker on the house tripped and I thought no big deal. Now my computer doesnt turn on, the fan starts but the light on the front of tower doesnt light up. The light on the monitor is also flashing. Even my xbox has something wrong with it, seems to be running, no red flashing of death but no picture!

Am i fooked? Going to take the stuff to a computer shop and see what they say.

2storms and computers Empty Re: storms and computers 17th February 2018, 7:00 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I guess you have had a surge so things will of blown mate. Not sure if you have neighbours but if any of them have surge protection on the dB and you don’t and they get hit it prob save them but will affect others around for up to quite a big distance

3storms and computers Empty Re: storms and computers 17th February 2018, 7:16 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I was stupid not to have surge protection boards on my stuff but never really thought about it. My computer isnt expensive but its going to cost me more now to either repair or replace.

4storms and computers Empty Re: storms and computers 17th February 2018, 7:29 am

splmum

splmum

Some computers have a blade fuse built into them and that blows before the surge can burn anything out. Don't know if yours is like that so yep, a computer shop to have a look and reboot.
Hopefully that is all it is.
in the last month I had windows telling me I needed to update, put it off for as long a possible then decided to do it.
closed down all my files, or so I thought, set up 'restart', trundling along, 30%, 60%, 73% FROZEN, fuck. left it for several hours, still frozen.
switched it off and on, trundling along, 73% FROZEN.
Ring Geeks2U, bloke comes out, got to take computer away to run 'Microsoft Recovery Disc', can take 3-4 hours.
6 days later, has saved all my data and files from the HD, put in a new HD.
Got computer back, had 99% of my data and files, no emails, MS Outlook had corrupted and wiped all emails.
last Wednesday afternoon at 3.00PM windows tells me again I needed to update, set restart in motion, trundling away got to 30% FROZEN, fuck, fuck, double fuck. Ring Geeks2U bloke discusses situation and suggest might be time for a new computer.
Thursday morning the missus looks at the computer, still frozen. Turns it off and on, reboots perfectly, pos, go figure.
Bites the bullet, bought an new computer an in process of transferring all current work and data to it.
The outcome was that the CPU in the old computer is not supported by MS Windows 10 anymore and this causes it to freeze, and it's only good luck if it does a full successful reboot.
Could be a problem with yours if it is some years old.
Im led too believe that Windows 7 is still ok on old and new CPU's.
Just a thought.

5storms and computers Empty Re: storms and computers 17th February 2018, 8:09 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Hopefully it doesnt cost me too much to get sorted. Not sure whats wrong with the xbox though.The xbox wasnt even on at the time but the computer was on standby and xbox was connected through a HDMI splitter.

Man windows gives me the shits, ive had similar problems in the past mate.

6storms and computers Empty Re: storms and computers 17th February 2018, 8:49 am

splmum

splmum

Yep, used 7 for years without fault.
This bloody 10 is a piece of crap, every 2-3 weeks it wants to "update for security reasons" Why? It's working ok, F==k off.
I'm about to reactivate my old tower with 7 installed for back-up.
Hope you get it sorted easily and cheaply.

7storms and computers Empty Re: storms and computers 17th February 2018, 9:14 am

pulsarmad20

pulsarmad20

woody take the case off the side of the computer and on the mother board there is a battery take that out leave it a few mins and put it back in it will reset the computer but with out losing photos and documents . then turn it on as normal failing that if that doesnt work you could have a problem .. as for the xbox are you sure your tv is working ? as if the xbox breaks you usally get some sort of ring of fire

8storms and computers Empty Re: storms and computers 17th February 2018, 9:20 am

shroom

shroom

Could have done over your PSU in your computer or worst your motherboard. Had one of my PCs have a power supply issue last week it still powered slightly but wouldn't power up. That would be the first thing the power spike would hit and kill. It's not hard to swap one out and is quiet cheap to replace depending on what pc or configuration it is. Would take 10 minutes and £30 part. Try unplugging everything and leaving it for a few mins Google reset CMOS battery which is inside and try that too then see if it boots.

That issue splmum with the CPU does sound a bit like a "let's sell you a new pc" kinda thing as the CPU won't cause that it's probably an issue with the update they repaired and rolled back then it's just updated again and done the same thing as it's not a fresh install of win10 (unless they did). However tbh if it's an old pc and you can't copy the data off and rebuild it from scratch yourself then it's better to buy a reasonably priced new one with full win10 support and drivers. We run hundreds of devices at work which are old and don't officially support win10 and they are ok but when issues occur we do advise that they ain't ment to be on it.

It's all about making money ain't it who wants you using an old 6 year old pc lol

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

9storms and computers Empty Re: storms and computers 17th February 2018, 10:19 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

thanks guys ill take a look. I had my xbox plugged into my PC monitor using a HDMI splitter at the time so i dont know if the power surge can affect that even though it wasnt on. I tried plugging the xbox into my TV which is working fine and get the same result.

10storms and computers Empty Re: storms and computers 17th February 2018, 10:32 am

shroom

shroom

If you monitor light is flashing it will mean no signal i.e the pc is dead or not turning on. If the tv is fine and not showing anything it sounds like it may have effected the Xbox or does it have an external power supply or is it built in can't remember on the new ones think it's built in

'Shit' think I need to sell my Sunny!

But woman cant replace a sheep
Oh I wish that for the peace!
But I really cant find my honey
The only one I would give my money
Is one with a great big fleece
And then I would be at peace...

11storms and computers Empty Re: storms and computers 17th February 2018, 2:12 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Bloody confusers :-S
Everything I own and most work confusers all on windows 7, runs perfect, simple use and loads of knowledge and driver support for almost any scenario, turn updates off and life is problem free . here most people buy laptops etc hardware only and install preferred OS (W7 Ultimate), normally pirated lol ...
You start looking at industry etc and many systems still xp .
Windows should check hardware compatibility before upgrading via update .
as 2 machines down does sound like woody likely fried something on the boards. We get quite a bit of power supply issues here so 99% of time I always plugged in via surge protection.
Fingers crossed it easy fix and importantly cheap fix .

Both issues bring up importance of backups, easy clone partitions these days or use free backup software for easy updating of file changes . Loosing data from hdd dead bigger issue than comp hardware really ...

12storms and computers Empty Re: storms and computers 18th February 2018, 5:31 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I hate windows 10 absolutely big pile of shite I much prefer windows 7 it's all laid out better and doesn't take an age to find stuff windows 10 app style is just big pants lol

13storms and computers Empty Re: storms and computers 18th February 2018, 8:30 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I used to hate windows 10 when I first got it and had problems. But now it seems alright and don’t really have many issues

14storms and computers Empty Re: storms and computers 19th February 2018, 2:32 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I guess you would grow into it but I just see no need waste my time migrating to it and spending time on it when what I got works 100% perfect and 10 got nothing to offer me.
I don't care about microsoft support and turned updates off years ago and life problem free if don't keep updating stuff and if do want do some updates research them first and have a partition clone just in case it junks your OS . Lot of big production plants I deal with will likely be using W7 at some level for next decade, I'll stick with it until hardware or functionality issue gives reason or benefit to change.
@ Woody . if you items fried any chance home insurance cover any of it ! worth a look we had an expensive tablet covered no penalty or excess when popped when plugged in charge, had get electrician report that house power supply the cause but that was pretty simple and cheap here to achieve .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum