Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? Empty Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? 7th February 2018, 8:18 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Evening all,

The wife’s golf is having its egr valve replaced so she’s been using the Mini Cooper S R53 (supercharged) for the last couple of days.  Gets a phone call this morning saying it won’t start, so I nipped home from work tried to start it and it just cranks no attempt to start.

I pulled a HT lead to find it covered in oil, all 4 the same.  Assumed the rocker cover seals had failed allowing oil into the spark plug wells knackering the plugs hence no spark no start.

Tonight I get home, mate called round with a new rocker gasket. Got chatting and I pulled the dipstick to find no oil what so ever on it Neutral  err.... proceeded to remove a plug and it is covered in oil, looking down spark plug tube, seems to be a lot of oil on the piston.  I can only imagine all 4 are the same!

I’m thinking it’s fairly terminal, either rings or melted pistons or spun a shell?

It’s not a modded car in anyway, other than replacing the rear crank seal last year due to oil leak, it’s not been a bad car.

Gaz

2Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? Empty Re: Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? 7th February 2018, 9:08 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Sure it's not dropped down when removing the plug .... it is a common fault for the seals to go on the rocker cover spark plugs

3Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? Empty Re: Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? 7th February 2018, 9:46 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

It may be that and I’m hoping it is, when I get home tomorrow going to put a spray bottle nozzle and tube down the others to extract excess oil before removing plug. Just seen a vid on YouTube of some guy doing that.

https://youtu.be/7XhkgYScs9I

Just seems mad that there’s no oil on the dip stick, no leaking can be seen on the outside of engine. Fuel consumption has been higher lately though, wether poor spark may have contributed to that?

4Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? Empty Re: Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? 7th February 2018, 10:36 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I would go with nomads line of thought .

I would also use a incandescent test light to check for spark potential from the coil pack with lead pulled and tip of test light held close to coil terminal .

compression test would be useful to once all plugs out

does oil light go out on long starter cranking ? is possible just leaking lot of oil and been over looked, hope caught it in time and easy resolved !

5Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? Empty Re: Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? 8th February 2018, 8:01 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

Yeah oil light goes out..... when you turn the ignition off Laughing

Yeah it goes off when cranking. Will drain sump later on and see how much is actually in it. It’s suffered from oil leaks since I’ve had it, but thought I’d cured them all.. looking under the car it’s bone dry, no trace of a leak, not noticed any smoke out the exhaust. I’ll do a comp test over weekend.

Cheers chaps

6Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? Empty Re: Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? 8th February 2018, 8:52 am

mike74

mike74

Might be an idea to check out the engine breathers while you're in there. If its suffered from leaks for a while it could point to that being blocked!

7Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? Empty Re: Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? 10th February 2018, 9:27 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Thankfully it was just the spark plug tube seals, totally knackered. Sucked all the oil I could out around the spark plugs, removed plugs to find them drive, phew! It had lost about 1.5L of oil.

Got it back together and started first time, finally got two cars working again cheers

Checked engine breathers and all clear

Quick vid of the seals:

https://youtu.be/PbdF8vsH00o <—- not HD

8Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? Empty Re: Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? 10th February 2018, 10:02 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Hate to say I told you so Laughing

9Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? Empty Re: Anyone got Mini Cooper s experience? 11th February 2018, 10:22 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum