Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Drivetrain Weaknesses

+3
mike74
johnny gtir
Mr B
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Drivetrain Weaknesses Empty Drivetrain Weaknesses 31st January 2018, 10:59 pm

GTi ARGHH

Ok so we know the standard gear box and internal bits are not the best and Im not exactly mechanic of the year, but once the box and clutch has been sorted out whats the next weaknesses?
Guessing the drive shafts as one of mine exploded last year quite badly but what are the next bits after that or is that it?

Could some one explain for me please?

Cheers

2Drivetrain Weaknesses Empty Re: Drivetrain Weaknesses 1st February 2018, 1:58 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

That about it really, I pop a few front cv joint dragging it but not much else bother, rear diff reliable, front diff side bearings can be issue but that kind of age/bearing shimming mixed with high power and harsh use .
Any high power 4wd is hard on tranny and drive line so if using it harsh and being bit competitive things will alway break .

3Drivetrain Weaknesses Empty Re: Drivetrain Weaknesses 1st February 2018, 10:06 pm

GTi ARGHH

Thanks Mr B, looks like I will be getting uprated drive shafts then.

4Drivetrain Weaknesses Empty Re: Drivetrain Weaknesses 2nd February 2018, 7:36 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

I not heard of to many shafts break and seen some harsh launches

5Drivetrain Weaknesses Empty Re: Drivetrain Weaknesses 2nd February 2018, 8:16 pm

mike74

mike74

Just dont rag it all the time and it'll be fine..if you do rag it frequently then be sure to keep Bob on speed dial, just like the rest of us Smile

6Drivetrain Weaknesses Empty Re: Drivetrain Weaknesses 5th February 2018, 10:53 pm

GTi ARGHH

What do you mean dont rag it all the time? Laughing

Nah was on track at the time hard cornering in 3rd. All I know is "the inner drive shaft exploded inside the outer drive shaft". So been looking into other options and not much about, just waiting on a couple of replies. Fingers crossed though as SHOULD be a bit of a half reliable weapon then... He says lol

7Drivetrain Weaknesses Empty Re: Drivetrain Weaknesses 5th February 2018, 11:09 pm

shroom

shroom

Think it's just old age with the drive shafts not a weakness never had an issue with any of my Rs

8Drivetrain Weaknesses Empty Re: Drivetrain Weaknesses 6th February 2018, 5:47 am

splmum

splmum

GTi ARGHH wrote:What do you mean dont rag it all the time?  Laughing

Nah was on track at the time hard cornering in 3rd. All I know is "the inner drive shaft exploded inside the outer drive shaft".  So been looking into other options and not much about, just waiting on a couple of replies.  Fingers crossed though as SHOULD be a bit of a half reliable weapon then... He says lol

Knackered CV joints will explode like that, good one minute, ragged, knackered the next.
Nothing wrong with the 'drive shafts' as a lot out there racing and rallying and still using standard, also many with BIG hp as well.

9Drivetrain Weaknesses Empty Re: Drivetrain Weaknesses 6th February 2018, 3:04 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

Yep as above^^^

Wasnt your driveshaft that broke, it was the inner tripod bearings located inside the inner cv joint attatched to shaft, but even that could have been caused through not fitting the cv boot back correctly so the bearings dried out on track........ next hard loading on a long bend and kaboooom they let go spectacularly Laughing

http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

10Drivetrain Weaknesses Empty Re: Drivetrain Weaknesses 8th February 2018, 10:13 pm

GTi ARGHH

Ah right my mistake then. Yeah we will never know exactly why, just one of them...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

So, who has upgraded the cv joints then?! Was looking at these:

https://h-tune.co.uk/insane-shafts-performance-driveshafts-axles-replacement-individual-pairs-honda-nissan-subaru/

but been told they dont actually make them for our cars but if there was 10 people then maybe etc. Cant see it happening though tbh.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum