Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Handbrake Adjustment

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Handbrake Adjustment Empty Handbrake Adjustment 14th September 2017, 3:40 pm

boyciegtir325

Can someone please tell me how to take the centre consol off to get to the handbrake.

I have seen the four screws holding it all on but how does it all come off, do I have to take the gaitor off first ?

Not too mechanically minded but willing to give it a go so please be gentle.

Cheer guys.

2Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 14th September 2017, 7:01 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

So you have the two at the back and the two tender the cover plate where your hand would be once the handbrake was released
The gator surround clips up and pull back

3Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 14th September 2017, 11:28 pm

boyciegtir325

thanks Johnny, gonna give this a go tomorrow.

4Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 15th September 2017, 9:09 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Its very easy, just be careful removing the gator surround, don't force it as you can snap the tabs.

5Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 15th September 2017, 4:25 pm

boyciegtir325

Thx guys, great help as usual, couldn't tighten handbrake as couldn't find anything to turn nut, and it was very tight, not a real problem though. On the plus, side I did manage to find out why the handbrake light kept coming on, all fixed now. Then it pissed down with rain !

6Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 15th September 2017, 5:31 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Deep socket is it ? Once done jack the car up and make sure it locks both wheels and is free when released. Maybe cable on one side is sticking abit and twists the splitter underneath and results in more travel when you pull it on

7Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 15th September 2017, 11:21 pm

boyciegtir325

yeah deep socket needed, not a problem though, think I can get a max of 8 clicks. That bloody handbrake light was really pissing me off though...not anymore ! Very Happy

8Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 16th September 2017, 4:27 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

As johnny said make sure they handbrake is working well, if not I would say its most likely the rear calipers.

9Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 16th September 2017, 2:08 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Yes cable on one side not right or caliper

10Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 16th September 2017, 5:07 pm

boyciegtir325

I think I will have to have a good look at the calipers, they defo aren't clamping as well as the fronts, they are just standard brakes so pistons are probably rusted up !

11Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 16th September 2017, 5:40 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

What's the storey they are just standard rears with age on them. Hanbrake is cable operated as you know. Are the fronts standard ? Rears prob due a refresh/rebuild. Going off the handbrake but brakes in general If the fluid ain't been changed fully flush it while caliper are off do you run braided hoses or standard ?

12Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 16th September 2017, 10:25 pm

boyciegtir325

standard hoses Johnny, the discs are not as shiny as the fronts, can't seem to remove some of the old rust stains, think the piston is moving out slightly, just not enough for the pads to make full contact, hard braking is a bit dodgy with car swerving slightly !

13Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 17th September 2017, 5:05 am

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Refreshing the calipers makes a huge difference, I thought mine were ok until after I got them refreshed.

14Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 17th September 2017, 7:00 am

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

As above fully flush fluid and fit braided lines while on

15Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 17th September 2017, 11:13 am

boyciegtir325

Thanks guys, off go karting in a mo to kick my sons arse....take out my frustration !!!!

16Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 17th September 2017, 9:20 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Where did you go gokarting ?

17Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 17th September 2017, 10:06 pm

boyciegtir325

Hi Leighton, went to Brentwood this time, my son likes it there, he's only 13 and all karts are equal in speed.I prefer Lakeside with the twin engines but there for 16 and older.
Have raced at the one in Kent (Buckmore) a few times.

18Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 17th September 2017, 10:29 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Yeah buckmoore is like 10 minutes from me ... did you win though lol ...

19Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 17th September 2017, 10:44 pm

boyciegtir325

yeah of course !!! lol. altho he is getting better, I'm not a bad karter, altho getting a bit old now and he was only 3 tenths of a second slower, one corner was his stumbling block, he turned in too soon.
Then we got home and he had a little ride on his mini moto scrambler, everywhere is so bloody insurance and safety conscious these days and you can't just bring your quad or bike unless fully trained or you have every possible bit of protection going ! we sometimes sneak on a farm field or a bridlepath.

20Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 17th September 2017, 10:46 pm

boyciegtir325

Might try Buckmore again, will call them tomorrow to find out a bit more info, bit of a treck tho !

21Handbrake Adjustment Empty Re: Handbrake Adjustment 21st September 2017, 12:47 pm

boyciegtir325

Thanks for all your help guys, just an update, looks like the calipers need a good refurb, nearside piston aint budging !!! I have posted another question to do with handbrake removal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum