Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SHIMS

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1SHIMS Empty SHIMS 7th March 2017, 3:31 pm

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

Hello all,

I'm after a couple of shims if anyone can help. I need the castle type for both, one measuring 5.57mm and the other 5.27mm?

Thanks Chris.

2SHIMS Empty Re: SHIMS 7th March 2017, 8:06 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

mightydquinn wrote:Hello all,

I'm after a couple of shims if anyone can help. I need the castle type for both, one measuring 5.57mm and the other 5.27mm?

Thanks Chris.

Ive got stacks in the garage. Ill try and measure some tomorrow and let you know.
Very Happy

3SHIMS Empty Re: SHIMS 7th March 2017, 8:25 pm

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

That would be really good of you Neil! I wish I had stacks of them! Lol! Speak tomorrow, thanks! Smile

4SHIMS Empty Re: SHIMS 7th March 2017, 8:31 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

dont think youve measured those right Chris
think the biggest we have in is just under 3mm

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

5SHIMS Empty Re: SHIMS 7th March 2017, 9:23 pm

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

I can check again tomorrow Bob, I think I measured them right but will happily double check tomorrow when I'm at work with my car! I just measured the shim with digital verniers, I measured from the bottom of the shim to the centre of the shim between the 2 ends that stick up. My castle bits have snapped off!!

6SHIMS Empty Re: SHIMS 8th March 2017, 10:05 am

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

mightydquinn wrote:I can check again tomorrow Bob, I think I measured them right but will happily double check tomorrow when I'm at work with my car! I just measured the shim with digital verniers, I measured from the bottom of the shim to the centre of the shim between the 2 ends that stick up. My castle bits have snapped off!!

I may have read this wrong but the thickness is from the internal surface of the shim pocket to the surface between the castles.
Apologies if that's what you meant.
SHIMS Captur10

Verniers won't be able to get inside the pocket, some calipers can but don't use the pointed ones.
If you're using verniers, the best method i found was to find something like a 6mm dia pin. put the pin inside the pocket and measure the total distance from the bottom of the pin to the castle surface. Then simply take away the pin length to give you the exact shim thickness.

7SHIMS Empty Re: SHIMS 8th March 2017, 12:13 pm

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

I'm guessing the pockets will be machined to the same size on every shim as that is the part that sits the same amount over the valve end?

I measured from the very bottom of the shim, to the gap in the centre of the castle and I get different measurements for each shim doing it that way so would presume this gives the same results?

So my measurements from the bottom of the shim, to the cut out in the centre were 5.57mm and 5.27mm.

..... However, I have done as you suggested Neil, so I'm presuming these are more the measurements we expect, 2.51mm and 2.25mm? as mentioned, both the castle type! That would fit in with the largest one of yours Bob been 3mm too!

8SHIMS Empty Re: SHIMS 8th March 2017, 1:59 pm

GTI-R US

GTI-R US
Management
Management

yep thats right you need to measure them as Neil suggested (inside the shim)
if you have a micrometer just grind down the internal bit so its around 4-5mm so fits inside the shim

Also remember when you measure / fit them that you look at the underside of the rocker arm as one of the feet on the rocker is slightly wider than the other and is that one which takes the locator (sided) shim.......i use a locator shim on both sides on high powered cars as much less risk of them throwing
Also when measuring clearances make doubly sure that the rocker arm itself is held centralised over cam lobe......then take measurements. If you tip it then will put a lot more loading on one side of shim and that you dont want!

Nissan Performance & Tuning Centre
Services provided

Forge Engine rebuilds to specification
Body Restoration, Fabrication, Repair
Paint refinishing facilities
Ecu re-mapping-Performance upgrades
Auto Diagnostics, Injector cleaning  
Race & Suspension setup
General Servicing, Mots, tyre fitting
Full workshop facilities
http://www.gti-r-us.co.uk www.force500.com

9SHIMS Empty Re: SHIMS 8th March 2017, 8:41 pm

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

I do have a micrometer, don't fancy grinding it down on this occasion yet to measure just a couple of shims though! Lol! Maybe I'll do that if I need to build it again with different shims!

I had axaxtky the same idea last time I build it up, so I do have the locator shims on every shim! It's a good job really too as 2 of them as we know are broke!! I'll be sure to take my time though again when building it up and give it all a good measure and make sure everything is central! Cheers for the tip matey! Smile

10SHIMS Empty Re: SHIMS 9th March 2017, 11:49 am

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

Any joy on these 2 shims please!??

11SHIMS Empty Re: SHIMS 10th March 2017, 5:11 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

Ive got one at exactly 2.51mm Very Happy
Ive got nothing as thin as 2.25mm Sad

12SHIMS Empty Re: SHIMS 12th March 2017, 1:20 pm

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

Cheers Neil! Any chance I can buy the 2.51 and the thinnest one you have got please? I'll make it 2.25mm!! Wink

13SHIMS Empty Re: SHIMS 12th March 2017, 3:35 pm

Cosmic73

Cosmic73

mightydquinn wrote:Cheers Neil! Any chance I can buy the 2.51 and the thinnest one you have got please? I'll make it 2.25mm!! Wink
Pm me your address and ill post them down.
No charge mate,

14SHIMS Empty Re: SHIMS 12th March 2017, 9:43 pm

mightydquinn

mightydquinn

I'll PM you my address now! That's very nice of you matey, next show or meet I see you at I'll make sure I say thanks and get you a drink/ lunch or something! Thanks again! Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum