Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

views on forged/solid bottom pulleys

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1views on forged/solid  bottom pulleys Empty views on forged/solid bottom pulleys 14th October 2016, 12:28 pm

ROB_IOW

ROB_IOW
the two star club
the two star club

I've fitted a forged bottom pulley to my R but after reading a few discussions some people say they ain't any good .

Has anyone actually tested them .  What's the pro's and con's

Should I bin it and get a genuine one?  
It is a forged motorsport one not a cheap copy

2views on forged/solid  bottom pulleys Empty Re: views on forged/solid bottom pulleys 14th October 2016, 4:00 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

I prefer OEM harmonic damper for reasons stated in this thread >
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t6167-new-type-of-crank-pulley
Some of the solid pulleys have better collar material for oil seal run on but I still prefer a harmonic as it doing an important job .
engine I built had new oem ones fitted as was getting them from US for little under £100 new .

3views on forged/solid  bottom pulleys Empty Re: views on forged/solid bottom pulleys 16th October 2016, 9:02 am

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

I have always been led to believe that the lower pulley shouldnt be solid..
The crank seals are supposed to fail etc etc
My car came with a solid forge one when i bought it in 2009 and when we rebuilt the engine it was left on.
I forgot all about it.
Until i was changing the water pump yesterday lol
Its still on there 7 years later and it isnt causing any issues of my knowledge Smile

4views on forged/solid  bottom pulleys Empty Re: views on forged/solid bottom pulleys 16th October 2016, 10:32 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^
that good know, seal issue was mainly on poor design/quality of soft alloy & no harder collar for seal run on .
I wouldn't buy alloy one out of choice, only time I would look at aftermarket crank pulley is if under sizing it along with oversize pump pulley in effort underdrive accessories for sustained high rev use .

5views on forged/solid  bottom pulleys Empty Re: views on forged/solid bottom pulleys 16th October 2016, 2:24 pm

johnny gtir

johnny gtir

Mine runs fine but it is the forge one not the anoidised copy's had one of those split straight off the center and the cheap ones do the seal in. Like anything the good quality ones are balanced and Made of good material not cheap crap

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum