Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1   Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms Empty Re:    Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms 19th January 2016, 8:07 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

Handy to know, cheers Mr B

What's your views on BP ignition leads? Think I read somewhere that you wasn't impressed by the quality? Found a French supplier on eBay for £33, where as Nissan wanted £83!

2   Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms Empty Re:    Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms 19th January 2016, 9:15 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Blueprint leads are no where near standard you would hope from other stuff in their range & not worth the price really
I didn't rate Magnacor that highly either considering the cost, originals are damn good & been used in some high hp builds.
Cheaper options with comments/reviews are in link below if don't mind blue or red leads >
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t3398-ignition-lead-set

3   Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms Empty Re:    Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms 19th January 2016, 9:41 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

Maybe a silly question but how do you know if the leads need replacing? Is the a resistance they need to be etc? I replaced them 11 years ago with genuine Nissan ones, it's only covered 30k since then.

4   Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms Empty Re:    Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms 19th January 2016, 10:05 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Being original & low mileage they probably good, visual inspection & resistance check would be good, may have base values in workshop manual, 5-7-9-11 ohm short to long roughly but sure figures are in manual .
hard beat the oem leads really so not worth binning them if decent/serviceable .

5   Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms Empty Re:    Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms 19th January 2016, 10:10 am

burrows1980

burrows1980

Cool, cheers Mr B

6   Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms Empty Re:    Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms 19th January 2016, 10:47 pm

splmum

splmum

This is a general rule of thumb.

Not to exceed 1,000 ohms per inch

I have just gone over my original genuine standard plug set (contact to contact, that is dissy cap end, lead length and plug length) and this is the result

1  16.5"   5.87(k)ohms = 355 ohms/inch
2  21.1"   7.61(k)ohms = 361.3 ohms/inch
3  28.0" 10.67(k)ohms = 381.7 ohms/inch
4  29.9" 11.48(k)ohms = 383.7 ohms/inch

As you can see, they are all well within the rule of thumb.

Use a multimeter over them and you should get around the ohms(k) above.

Edit: Just read Mr B's answer and the 5,7,9,11 factor is pretty close to my readings above. The only one I would question is the 9, it should probably be closer to 10, going on the length of the leads.

7   Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms Empty    Ignition Leads Resisance and Ohms 19th January 2016, 11:07 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Nice one, that's my apprentices job for tomorrow Laughing

burrows1980

burrows1980

Got round to checking mine today:

1 = 5.55
2 = 7.35
3 = 10.11
4 = 10.94

Again all in spec so saves buying a new set!! got new dizzy, rotor arm and plugs, boom good to go kinda Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum