Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FMIC's

+13
mc_hawkings24
Stu
GTI-R US
nomad
burrows1980
pulsarmoley
PartyPete
johnny gtir
ROB_IOW
gtir_woody
Mr B
shroom
DC313
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 3rd December 2015, 3:24 pm

DC313

DC313

^^

Yea I see what you're saying, the pipe into the plenum could easily be one piece and smooth mandrel bends!

27FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 3rd December 2015, 3:33 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

DC313 wrote:Yea I guess they are still a fair bit of dollar!
I have found this interesting bit online about core sizings, so might be tempted to make my own....

Basic calcs are 3-litres volume / 100 bhp and 50cm^2 / 100bhp cross section

So if the standard / arc tmic is good for 350bhp if we run the calcs for 400bhp

= 12 litres capacity required and 200cm^2 X-section.

using a standard PWR core depth of 68mm it would need to be 600mm wide and 300mm high.

Happy days! Just going to get a quote on a core out of interest....
least then I can have the pipe work the diameter I want and in the best position for shortest runs.

Have a Malaysian R here I been on track with & he runs a close 400hp on recored top mount with improvements to heat shielding, baffle for air flow & water injection & cool intake temps .

I'll pm you a number I had for guy in uk who did couple of recores a year or so ago.
You can see the recore in freds french sunny thread >
FMIC's - Page 2 Recored

28FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 3rd December 2015, 3:37 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

DC313 wrote:^^

Yea I see what you're saying, the pipe into the plenum could easily be one piece and smooth mandrel bends!
Same with the turbo to cooler, easily put right but at 800 plus uk vat I would expect it right to start with, was good effort but still little bit sloppy & not what you expect from pro fabricators/engineers.

29FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 3rd December 2015, 4:08 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

My old radtech.
FMIC's - Page 2 Enkei006
FMIC's - Page 2 18-06-06_1808
FMIC's - Page 2 18-06-06_1803
FMIC's - Page 2 Enkei005

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

30FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 3rd December 2015, 4:09 pm

Stu

Stu
Admin
Admin

FMIC's - Page 2 Enkei006

http://www.j10-meets.co.uk

31FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 3rd December 2015, 4:37 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

done a good effort on core & rad as it big core & retains bumper uncut.
I would buy the cooler/rad but tell um either do pipes proper or knock off £250 (+20%vat Razz ) & you'd do them yourself proper .
pretty easy work out size/shape for rad/cooler & get decent fabricator knock it up & then work out final pipe routes nicely in a trial build up, would be cheaper & better end result with bit of time, effort & patience .

32FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 3rd December 2015, 8:12 pm

nearly bought a radtech once years ago ended up buying a pace one instead

33FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 3rd December 2015, 8:59 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Stu wrote:FMIC's - Page 2 Enkei006

Man the pipe work is super short with that set up. Looks good to.

34FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 3rd December 2015, 9:22 pm

mc_hawkings24

Well i have a forge and all this talk of short pipe runs i decided to go back to a topmount and i noticed no difference.
So i've bought another evo intercooler and i've brought the slam panel support out further and using the forge pipe run.
Abit of tig welding and i can fit it

35FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 3rd December 2015, 10:43 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

It not so much about short pipe runs but more important is minimising joins & bends best as possible & direct run over top of radiator similar to radtec is about best way achieve that for front mount. Point with top mount is it more capable than the tuning tales suggest .

36FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 4th December 2015, 8:45 am

mc_hawkings24

If inlet temps go up when using a longer pipe run than a shorter pipe run then i can see the benefit but if not and as i noticed no difference between tmic, fmic it doesn't really matter does it?

37FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 4th December 2015, 9:24 am

DC313

DC313

Does that become a catch 22 then with pipe temps?

As you could wrap the pipe to stop them from getting so hot

but then if the did get warm still they would stay hotter for longer than if you left them uncovered....

38FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 4th December 2015, 11:09 am

The only disadvantage I've ever found with top mounts is track use
Also if you spend a lot of time in traffic it will get hotter

39FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 20th December 2015, 12:41 pm

mc_hawkings24

FMIC's - Page 2 110
FMIC's - Page 2 310
FMIC's - Page 2 211

Here's my effort i've been working on as i couldn't stand the fmic look and it was very cheap to do. Just some cheap evo IC that i had tabs welded on and recycled the forge IC piping. Waiting for another bumper iron to come then i can secure the IC to it and have some shorter pipe work coming and paint the support bar.

40FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 20th December 2015, 7:02 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Looks good mate thumbsup

41FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 20th December 2015, 7:06 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

Would it of been easier to have the pipes going upwards and come either side of the rad ???

42FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 20th December 2015, 7:42 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

mc_hawkings24 wrote:FMIC's - Page 2 110
FMIC's - Page 2 310
FMIC's - Page 2 211

Here's my effort i've been working on as i couldn't stand the fmic look and it was very cheap to do. Just some cheap evo IC that i had tabs welded on and recycled the forge IC piping. Waiting for another bumper iron to come then i can secure the IC to it and have some shorter pipe work coming and paint the support bar.
This is what I'm planning to do although I want to run pipes bit differently (there is some cutting involved) can you tell me how thick is your core mate??

https://bbmgarage.co.uk/

43FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 20th December 2015, 8:05 pm

mc_hawkings24

nomad wrote:Would it of been easier to have the pipes going upwards and come either side of the rad ???

I thought about that and it would be a smaller radiator probably custom. tbh its a low cost job, not much money spent.

44FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 20th December 2015, 8:30 pm

mc_hawkings24

Its this IC but only annoying thing is theres holes for tabs on the other side that sit proud and they go all the way through. I just ground them flat and had them welded up and 6mm aluminium tabs welded on. Theres a threaded tab at the top that hits the lock so i ground that off.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISHI-LANCER-EVO-7-8-9-FRONT-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-CORE-/121831671382?nav=SEARCH

510x315x90mm

Great to have a standard bumper back on

45FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 20th December 2015, 8:47 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

mc_hawkings24 wrote:Its this IC but only annoying thing is theres holes for tabs on the other side that sit proud and they go all the way through. I just ground them flat and had them welded up and 6mm aluminium tabs welded on. Theres a threaded tab at the top that hits the lock so i ground that off.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISHI-LANCER-EVO-7-8-9-FRONT-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-CORE-/121831671382?nav=SEARCH

510x315x90mm

Great to have a standard bumper back on

I think it's same thing what I've got. I'm cutting rad surround to fit though an I'll run my pipes through there, but I'm also thinking to cut cross member/rad support and weld in something like thick wall box section to lower it little bit. Any way did you ended up not cutting your bumper or did you have to trim it??

46FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 20th December 2015, 9:14 pm

mc_hawkings24

I thought you might slice the sides, i thought about doing it but decided to keep it original. No slicing of the bumper though got a good bit of room behind there now.

I'll take a pic of my cross member support tomorrow

47FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 20th December 2015, 9:16 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

Awesome and take pics of bonnet latch support too (or is that what you're on about  lol!)

48FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 20th December 2015, 9:17 pm

mc_hawkings24

Thats what i mean't lol get some pics up of what you've done

49FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 20th December 2015, 9:30 pm

Gostek

Gostek
Events Organiser
Events Organiser

mc_hawkings24 wrote:Thats what i mean't lol get some pics up of what you've done
Not much yet I need few days off so I can strip it cut it and do all at once cos this my daily so it can't sit in a garage for too long... I'll get pics when it's finished 
 though

50FMIC's - Page 2 Empty Re: FMIC's 30th December 2015, 5:17 pm

Supernova

I was looking at the mishimoto universal intercoolers, not sure how they compare to others but they look like a decent bit of kit and they make decent rad so I'd of thought it would ok.

http://www.mishimoto.co.uk/front-mount-intercooler-turbo.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum