Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thread Pitch?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Thread Pitch? Empty Thread Pitch? 20th June 2015, 8:34 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Hi,

Is there a maximum thread pitch to use on brake caliper mounting bolts?  Ive sucessfully mounted the Brembos yesterday on a mock up wood bracket Laughing the bolts im using throught the caliper are M14 2.0mm pitch, but once ive machined the bracket out of steel or aluminum should I use a bolt with smaller pitch say 1.5mm?  Im using the standard bolts that used to bolt into caliper to fix the bracket ive made to hub.

Also is it safe to use aluminum as a mounting bracket?

Edit: forgot to say i'll be using a M14 and m10 helicoil kit for the fixings in the ali..

Gaz

2Thread Pitch? Empty Re: Thread Pitch? 21st June 2015, 3:01 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

Use steel or likes of 6061 or 2024 alloy. 1.5mm or 1.25mm pitch & decent tensile bolts.

3Thread Pitch? Empty Re: Thread Pitch? 21st June 2015, 3:51 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Mr B wrote:Use steel or likes of 6061 or 2024 alloy. 1.5mm or 1.25mm pitch & decent tensile bolts.

Thanks Mr B!!

4Thread Pitch? Empty Re: Thread Pitch? 21st June 2015, 8:59 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Whats the purpose of the helicoil kit mate?

5Thread Pitch? Empty Re: Thread Pitch? 21st June 2015, 9:06 pm

burrows1980

burrows1980

Stronger thread mate, think it's standard in aviation world. I snapped a stud in my cylinder head 10 years ago tried to drill it out made a right #%*# up of it, put a helicoil insert in saved the day and was much stronger than the rest of the exhaust studs.

The evo 6 calipers i was going to fit had 20mm threaded lugs on them, so had plenty of thread to torque up, the bracket I'm making will have about 12mm of material so just to be safe stick a helicoil in.

6Thread Pitch? Empty Re: Thread Pitch? 21st June 2015, 10:06 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

Thanks mate, makes sense, I did some reading and it's actually very interesting.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum