Gtir Motorsport club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gtir Motorsport club

Welcome to the largest Nissan Pulsar & Sunny GTI-R Forum. Masses of info, friendly members, cars for sale, lots of spares. Best forum on the net by far. Everything your gtir needs is here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Drain Plug Tools

+2
Bones
Supernova
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Drain Plug Tools Empty Drain Plug Tools 10th May 2015, 6:51 pm

Supernova

Hi Guy's.

I'm on the final leg of my clutch change mission nearly finished at last lol but I've realized I've made a error. I thought I ordered a set of drain plug tools but somehow I haven't lol twat.

My question is does anyone know the sizes of the tools needed? The reason I ask is that I work for a Garage Equipment Company which means I frequent garages everyday, if I know the sizes I can probably borrow them rather than having to buy them.

If not I have eyed up this set which looks similar to the sets on the other thread but I don't want to buy the wrong ones if I can't borrow them. Do you think they'll be ok?
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/draper-5-piece-drain-plug-key-set?da=1&TC=GS-040816627

A Couple of the plugs look like they have been abused before so I don't want to mess this up Smile

2Drain Plug Tools Empty Re: Drain Plug Tools 10th May 2015, 7:28 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

Think you can just use a half inch ratchet head but the correct tool is much better could be wrong just try it in for size

3Drain Plug Tools Empty Re: Drain Plug Tools 10th May 2015, 8:30 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

I have a set similar to your set in the link ive used ... i would reccomend using a proper plug tool like your link rather than trying to jam a rachet in there .... those plug tools have like a 19mm middle section so you can put a deep socket over with a rachet for a bit of leverage .....

4Drain Plug Tools Empty Re: Drain Plug Tools 10th May 2015, 9:13 pm

gtir_woody

gtir_woody

I have to admit I used a ratchet a couple of times because I don't have the proper tool. Works fine but I have noticed the drain plug isn't looking in great shape because of it.

5Drain Plug Tools Empty Re: Drain Plug Tools 10th May 2015, 10:11 pm

Supernova

I used the 1/2" ratchet to undo the gearbox drain plug that was ok but the fill plug is smaller than 3/8 drive.

The level plug won't budge it's slightly bigger than 3/8" or 1/2" can't 100% remember which one, but it wasn't going to budge so i'm defiantly going to need a proper tool for that. Mine doesn't look to healthy either Woody.

I haven't tried the transfer box level plug yet.

Any chance someone can find out the correct size because I think i'll be better off borrowing one? I assume it's the 11mm and 13mm?

6Drain Plug Tools Empty Re: Drain Plug Tools 10th May 2015, 10:32 pm

Bones

Bones
the two star club
the two star club

The as I said Leighton the correct tool would be best, I have a sealey set that has fitted everything I've ever needed one for and it wasn't expensive

7Drain Plug Tools Empty Re: Drain Plug Tools 10th May 2015, 10:56 pm

nomad

nomad
Admin
Admin

It should be 3/8 and 1/2 from what ive read ... however ive never really checked as i use the drain plug keys and to be honest for 11quid is it really just not worth buying a set for the future use ... as its not just nissan that use them ...

8Drain Plug Tools Empty Re: Drain Plug Tools 10th May 2015, 11:48 pm

Supernova

Yeah that a fair point it's not so much about the money, I could possibly borrow the tool up tomorrow rather than waiting for a set to be delivered.

Anyway doesn't matter he'll probably have a set, thanks for your help guy's.

9Drain Plug Tools Empty Re: Drain Plug Tools 11th May 2015, 12:31 am

splmum

splmum

I have a similar set (TENG Tools) and they are excellent to use, fit everything nicely.

Never used a ratchet or other, always the right tool.

10Drain Plug Tools Empty Re: Drain Plug Tools 11th May 2015, 10:36 am

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

We got thread in tools section for theses >
http://www.gtir-motorsport-club.com/t4269-drain-plug-tools
Available on eBay too so could have a set next day probably ...

11Drain Plug Tools Empty Re: Drain Plug Tools 11th May 2015, 6:34 pm

Supernova

Yeah sorry Mr B I have read that thread I just wanted to know the actual sizes, didn't mean to post it in the wrong place.

I'll get the ruler out I think as I know someone who will lend me the tools just want to make sure I get the right ones to save messing about.

12Drain Plug Tools Empty Re: Drain Plug Tools 11th May 2015, 7:02 pm

Mr B

Mr B
gtir technician
gtir technician

^ No need for sorry sir :-)
Size is 13mm
Heres a nice usable set on eBay, £8.99 posted to your door sir ...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-5Pcs-Oil-Sump-Series-Socket-Kit-Drain-Plug-Hex-Square-Car-Repair-Tool-/231270875726?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35d8d1824e

13Drain Plug Tools Empty Re: Drain Plug Tools 11th May 2015, 7:37 pm

Supernova

Thank you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum